Gravestone Inscriptions

  • tskvarenina@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4 5:38 PM
      Hi,

      Went visiting to a cemetery near Chicago where my grandparents are
      buried and was fortunate enough to also find my grandmother's parents
      buried nearby.

      Many of the tombstones, including my great grand parents, were
      inscribed in Slovak (I think). Can someone translate the following
      for me:

      otec (I'm guessing this means father or husband?)
      matka (mother or wife?)

      odpocivajte v pakoji

      Thanks,

      Tim
    • petrovi@nsppresov.sk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5 2:16 AM
        otec- father
        matka - mother
        odpocivajte v pokoji - rest in peace

        Imrich
        -----------
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., tskvarenina@y... wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Went visiting to a cemetery near Chicago where my grandparents are
        > buried and was fortunate enough to also find my grandmother's
        parents
        > buried nearby.
        >
        > Many of the tombstones, including my great grand parents, were
        > inscribed in Slovak (I think). Can someone translate the following
        > for me:
        >
        > otec (I'm guessing this means father or husband?)
        > matka (mother or wife?)
        >
        > odpocivajte v pakoji
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Tim