Return Trips to Europe

  • kgdunay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2014

      My grandfather, Janos Dunaj made 4 documented round trips from Baskovce, Sobrance District, present day Slovakia,  to the United States from 1901 to 1912.

      I have found documentation for the trips from Germany to New York.  I am looking for sources where I can secure documentation for the trip from the US back to Europe.

      Any suggestions?

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2014
        As I understand it, the trips back to Slovakia (Austria-Hungary or Astro-Hungarian Empire in 1901 to 1912) were not documented in the United States. When you left there was nothing like Ellis Island, you left from whatever port the ship was docked. Even if the port of entry country required a Ship’s Manifest as the USA did you would have to search for those in an archive of that country. It would be very fortunate to have those ship’s manifests available online.

        I write because I have tried to find my grandfather’s return to his home village of Hromos. I found him coming through Ellis Island on his return to America. To make the search possible you have to know the port of departure, the day of departure and the name of the ship to begin an ideal search. Without any of those the search is close to impossible. There are passenger lists that have been indexed, still you need some concrete information to search those.

        No matter what you have to be aware that surnames were changed in America. Should that have happened in your family it is important to know the original surname or at least when the changed spelling became the norm. It can be very frustrating trying to us a surname spelling that was the original and discovered a new spelling was being used by the family.

        Hopefully, some other Slovak-Roots members may have been more fortunate and can guide you.

        Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 1:19 PM
        Subject: [S-R] Return Trips to Europe

        My grandfather, Janos Dunaj made 4 documented round trips from Baskovce, Sobrance District, present day Slovakia,  to the United States from 1901 to 1912.

        I have found documentation for the trips from Germany to New York.  I am looking for sources where I can secure documentation for the trip from the US back to Europe.

        Any suggestions?

      • William C. Wormuth

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2014
            Most people are of the impression that Ellis Island was responsible for the Ship’s Manifests. The US government required them, but it was the shipping company that filled them out. So any alterations to surnames was done by the shipping company or the individual when they got on to American soil.

            What you have found is entries. Why no question in 1901, don’t know. You should look at a 1901 manifest and see if it was a question. If not, then you have an answer. If it is there, then it was most likely someone was in a rush and didn’t ask.

            Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 1:19 PM