Parents of John Misura

  • W. Scott Park
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2001
      I would like to know how to find out who the parents of John Misura were. The only information that was given to me was from his daughter. She says that he was born in Orava on December 13, 1882. Their religion was Lutheran. She claims that he came to the United States in 1903. His parents did not emigrate to America. I don't know his port of entry , but my mother was born in New York City in 1910. The EI passenger records list a Jan Misura of Galician ethnicity. Place of residence: Glimk. Date of arrival: 21 May 1902. Could this possibly be him? And with only this amount of information is it possible to find birth records, or baptism records or anything that would tell me who his parents were?

      Thanks!

      Sandra

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
        > I would like to know how to find out who the parents of John Misura
        were. The only information that was given to me was from his
        daughter. She says that he was born in Orava on December 13, 1882.
        Their religion was Lutheran. She claims that he came to the United
        States in 1903. His parents did not emigrate to America. I don't know
        his port of entry , but my mother was born in New York City in 1910.
        The EI passenger records list a Jan Misura of Galician ethnicity.
        Place of residence: Glimk. Date of arrival: 21 May 1902. Could this
        possibly be him? And with only this amount of information is it
        possible to find birth records, or baptism records or anything that
        would tell me who his parents were?

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Sandra

        But, Orava was a county and a region in western Slovakia and was
        formerly known as A'rva Megye (county) when part of Hungary.

        The Jan (John) Misura , age 16 , Galician, from Glimk in manifest was
        accompanied by a Stanislaw (Stanley) Misura, age 16, from Glinil or
        Gl..
        Cousins ?
        Think the transcriber had trouble reading the handwriting and Glimk
        was a misspelling of a place name.

        There are 6 Glinik located in Poland; 3 of which are located 173, 167,
        and 160 miles south of Warszawa (Warsaw) respectively.
        This places them in former Polish Galicia which was located across the
        NE border of Slovakia (then Upper-Hungary)
        On the same ship manifest page I note some surnames are listed under
        place names that are now in the Ukraine but were formerly in Galicia.

        Also noted that several surnames listed before Jan on manifest were
        from Jaslo, Poland.
        Jaslo was formerly located in Galicia and is about 15 miles distant
        from the Glinik located 160 miles from Warsaw.
        The emigrants bought their steam ship tickets before they ever reached
        the port of departure, so groups from the same area could be sailing
        together on the same vessel, which appears to be the case here.

        If indeed Glinik, you can write the Polish State Archives to research
        the surnames.
        However, under their new rules the Polish Archives will reply to no
        inquires unless written in Polish !

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
        Poland).
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
        became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        western Ukraine.

        Frank Kurcina
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
          > I would like to know how to find out who the parents of John Misura
          were. The only information that was given to me was from his
          daughter. She says that he was born in Orava on December 13, 1882.
          Their religion was Lutheran. She claims that he came to the United
          States in 1903.
          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
          part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
          part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
          Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

          Looked in the Slovakia telephone directory under a number
          of towns located in Orava and formerly in A'rva Megye, Upper-Hungary.

          3 surname Mis^ura are listed under Dolny' Kubín (Sv) Alsókubin (H)
          2 surname Mis^ura are listed under Z^ilina (Sv) Zsolna (H)
          1 surname Mis^ura is listed under Martin (Sv) Turócszentmárton (H)

          And this surname is written with Slovak diacritical letter s^ pron.
          sh.

          Suggest you go back and look in western Slovakia for John Misura.

          If you locate his village/town of origin you can write the regional
          Slovak Archives for family records or review the LDS-Mormon microfilms
          for the place name parish church records.

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)