How to find an 1869 census record

  • kmm817
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 4 8:26 AM
      I  am looking for the village of Krivostany, and I have the film number,  722727. But I've googled endlessly and am having no luck with finding more information.  I can get as far as Zemplen in the Family Search website, but I am unsure where to go from there.  From what I've read here, it should be online, correct?

      Can anyone offer further assistance?

      Thank you.

      Kristine
      Researching Motyko, Lihota, Valovcek, Barlash, Antoni

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4 9:58 AM
        Because of errors in loading the digital edition of ALL Zemplen Megye = county films, there are NO Zemplen Megye films online. No matter what you see in the online listings.

        LDS Salt Lake is seemingly incapable of understanding the problem and correcting it.

        You are welcome to have a try at telling them (again) that EVERY village listed under Zemplen Megye belongs someplace else. Please load the correct ones.

        You must now order any Zemplen census film. Recent experience says that films are shipped in about THREE MONTHS.

        No, I can't explain it.
      • stibila@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4 2:57 PM

          Have you tried different spelling variations of the village name?

          It is also possible that the village name was changed to something totally different than Krivostany.

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4 5:28 PM
            Kristine,
                Drivostany is in the region/orkes of Michalovce in far eastern Slovakia. In 1960 it was incorporated into the town of Strazke. Notice the last entry was from 1920 – 1960.
                You have been informed about the Zemplin regions records.
                You choices are limited; go to Slovakia and search the records or hire a genealogist in Slovakia to do the search. The records are in the Archives. I have used genealogists in Slovakia with good results. The more information you have the quicker a search can be completed.
                After the surname, the person’s religion is important since each church kept a copy, the city hall had a copy and the archives have one. The Roman Catholic bishops had a copy.
                On my trips to Slovakia I found that the village city hall staff can be wonderful. Especially so, if your family has an attachment to the village. The city Recorder seems to know everyone in town and relationship to one another.
                Slovakia is ahead of us in being able to communicate with every city, town and village local government has their own webpage that has all the contact means.

            2244 Strážske MI/KI zemplín. 1960 pričl. o. Krivošťany.
            1773 Őrmező, Straske, 1786 Oermeső, Straschke, 1808 Őermező, Eörmező, Strážky, Strássky, 18631913 Őrmező, 1920 Stražské, 1927– Strážske
            1773 Krivoscsany, Krywosczany, 1786 Kriwocschány, 1808 Krivostyán, Krivosztány, Křiwossťany, Krywočany, 1863 Krivostrány, 1873 Krivoscsán, 18771902 Krivostyán, 19071913 Gödrös, 19201960
             Krivošťany

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5 8:01 AM

              >>> Have you tried different spelling variations of the village name?

              It is also possible that the village name was changed to something totally different than Krivostany.<<<

              !869 Hungarian Census Film:
              Krasznibród (Krásny Brod) -- Krasznócz (Krásnovce) -- Krivostyán (Krivošt̓any) -- Kriva Film #722727

              Available on FILM ONLY, as are all Zemplen Megey films.

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5 8:33 AM

                >>> Have you tried different spelling variations of the village name?

                It is also possible that the village name was changed to something totally different than Krivostany.<<<

                OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                Krivošťany: 1773 Krivoscsany, Krywosczany, 1786 Kriwocschány, 1808 Krivostyán, Krivosztány, Křiwossťany, Krywočany, 1863 Krivostrány, 1873 Krivoscsán, 1877–1902 Krivostyán, 1907–1913 Gödrös, 1920–1960 Krivošťany

              • Catherine Rowland
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 5 3:57 PM
                  Hi Kristine,
                  I think that the film you want for the 1869 census is this one:
                  Őrmező (Strážske) -- Őrős (Strážné)Family History LibraryInternational Film722762

                  I did have a look through the Main Database listings on my website http://www.carpathianreflections/ for you to see if I had come across any stray parish records for Ormezo. Unfortunately, not. The village of Eormezo appears a couple of times in statistical compilations, however these don't contain vital records and wont help you.

                  Nevertheless, to anyone researching family in the areas now bordering Ukraine, if you cannot find any parish records in the Family Search catalogue, do consider checking the main database at Carpathian Reflections.   There are a number of stray parish records for towns in Zemplen, Ung and Ugocsa varmegyes.

                  Kika

                  Őrmező (Strážske) -- Őrős (Strážné)Family History LibraryInternational Film