Re: [S-R] I'm looking for the city/area call Marganya

  • Samuel Ontko
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3 12:10 PM
      Could it be Margonya? Which is the currently called Marhan.

      Sent from Windows Mail

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3 12:57 PM
        Well thank you for the prompt response. It could very well be Margonya, and Marhan is certainly in the right geographical area as far as I can tell.
        I do believe you that Margonya is now Marhan, but I can't verify that anywhere yet. Any suggestions on where I can verify that.\?  I do want to make sure I am locating the right family members.
        Thanks again
        Tim
      • nashtimj
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3 1:17 PM
          OK I did verify that. Thank you very much you have been a great help.
          Tim
        • Zuzana Peer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3 1:20 PM
            Hi Tim,
            try this web page called "Nazvy obci slovensky a madarsky" which means : Names of villages in Slovak and Hungarian:

            I found this connection:

            Marhaň (BA-Bardejov county)    -    Margonya (Sáros)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3 1:27 PM
              Great.  That website helps.
              Thank you
              Tim
            • William C. Wormuth

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3 1:51 PM
                  Perhaps pre-dating your GM, but the 1869 Hungarian census for Marhan can be very informative. Here is the URL. There are only 52 houses.