Re: [S-R] Re: surnames, again

  • PopeBela@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
      Wow!
      Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on churchrecords...very
      useful!
      Thank you!

      This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in say,
      Kac^ur?

      That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many ways...or so many
      names for that matter!

      I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos Hlafka there
      under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US July 28
      1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
      I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your remarks, but
      from another
      g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is "town"....

      The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island arrived
      August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't one
      remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe we'll
      just never know!

      So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he should be
      on!
      In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand entry is
      him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born in Golnitz
      and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...

      There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of cultures..
      Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of South-East
      Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?

      Thanks!
      Chris

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
        > Wow!
        > Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on
        churchrecords...very
        > useful!
        > Thank you!
        >
        > This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in
        say,
        > Kac^ur?
        >
        > That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many
        ways...or so many
        > names for that matter!
        >
        > I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos
        Hlafka there
        > under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US
        July 28
        > 1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
        > I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your
        remarks, but
        > from another
        > g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is
        "town"....

        > The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island
        arrived
        > August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't
        one
        > remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe
        we'll
        > just never know!
        >
        > So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he
        should be
        > on!
        > In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand
        entry is
        > him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born
        in Golnitz
        > and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...
        >
        > There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of
        cultures..
        > Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of
        South-East
        > Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Chris

        Over hundreds of years a place could have been known under a dozen
        different names.

        Close to borders a town could have names in 3 different languages.

        Bratislava (Sv)
        Poszony (H)
        Pressburg (G)

        Michalovce (Sv)
        Nagymihaly (H)
        Grossmichel (G)

        Kacsur (old spelling) = Kac^úr (new spelling)
        The point was the Hungarian letter 'cs' pron. ch was discontinued
        in 1910.
        My surname is spelled as Kurcsina in Hungarian.

        In Slovak the diacritic letter c^ is pron. ch.
        The ^ should be inverted directly over the letter (see name at end
        of message)
        Looks like a little v over the letter c.
        This letter softner is called a mäkc^en^ in Slovak and a hac^ek in
        Czech.
        And letter ú is pron. longer than an unaccented letter u.

        The Janos Hlafka, who arrived in 1901, sailed from Bremen, Germany
        on German ship Konigin (Queen) Luise.
        He was 25 years old in 1901 and single.

        How does this match YOUR surname's naturalization papers ?

        Poor memory of the emigrant ?
        Emigrants tended to remember the day they left their village of
        origin rather than the day of arrival in the U.S.
        They were leaving everything behind and going to a new life far away.

        Krompachy (Sv) Korompa (H) is located 5 miles from Gelnica Golnitz.

        This Spis^ (S) Szepes (H) Spisz (P) Zips (G) Spish (Ukr) region in
        Slovakia was unique in terms of culture and ethnicities.
        This was true in part to the Hapsburg plan for repopulating former
        Ottoman Hungary territory.
        Earlier the Hungarian kings had invited Germans to develop mines and
        work the land in return for special privileges.

        -Bánya as in Golniczbánya (Gelnica) means (ore) mine in Hungarian.

        Frank Kurcina
      • Joan Hendershot
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
          Chris:

          I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
          this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
          then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
          wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.

          Joan

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
            Frank,
            Thanks so much for the info!
            The match between the Ellis Island info and the Natural'n info is..well..not
            quite a match...the age is a year off...pretty close though...and the town
            he's from is pretty close to Gelnica of course...however on the papers he's
            listed as coming from
            Golnitz (Gelnica)...I have to get that phone call from the FHC that the film
            is in though!
            RGH!

          • PopeBela@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
              In a message dated 6/4/01 10:28:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              jhender3@... writes:

              > I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
              > this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
              > then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
              > wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.
              >
              > Joan

              It's good to know that someone else is going through this too!! :)
              I'm hoping to get another copy of the naturalization papers ..this time from
              the
              Clerk of the Courts in Pittsburgh!
              Maybe I"ll be able to find something on there that didn't show up on the INS
              photocopy??
              We'll see!
              Chris