[S-R] Re: surnames, again

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., qt41059@a... wrote:
      > Question:
      > The surname Karabin--does anyone know if that is Jewish or SlovaK?
      > Thanks
      > Kate

      The surnames Karabin, Karaban, Karaba, and even Karabanos^ appear
      in Slovakia censuses.
      Have no data just lists of surnames.

      32 surname Karaban are listed in the U.S. Social Security Death Index.

      http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?F3=KARABAN&F4=&F0=&F1=&F2=&F2
      0=&ADVQT=%2FSEARCH%2FRECTYPE%2FVITAL%2FSSDI%2FMAIN.HTM&DB=SSDI&TI=0&SU
      BMIT423=SEARCH&F13=&F15=&F14=&F12=&F9=&F8=&F10=&F6=&F5=&F7=&fh=0

      2 surnames listed bear Russian first names, one first name is Polish,
      and only one looks Jewish ?

      132 surname Karabin are listed in U.S. Social Security Death Index.

      http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?F3=KARABIN&F4=&F0=&F1=&F2=&F2
      0=&ADVQT=%2FSEARCH%2FRECTYPE%2FVITAL%2FSSDI%2FMAIN.HTM&DB=SSDI&TI=0&SU
      BMIT423=SEARCH&F13=&F15=&F14=&F12=&F9=&F8=&F10=&F6=&F5=&F7=&fh=20
      Would say some of these surnames bear Jewish first names.

      Some surname Karabin were from Lithuania, which was once part of
      former pre-WW I Russian Empire as was part of former Poland
      (1792-1918)

      The Ellis Island Records database (1892-1924) lists 148 surnme Karabin
      who emmigrated to the U.S.
      From Russia, Hungary, Austria, Poland, and Slovakia.

      Some Catholic churches in Slovakia kept copies of Jewish records.
      For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
      records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
      as a title.
      The records start in 1787 and go through 1938, an unusually long
      time period.

      Did you have a village or town in mind ?
    • PopeBela@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
        Wow!
        Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on churchrecords...very
        useful!
        Thank you!

        This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in say,
        Kac^ur?

        That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many ways...or so many
        names for that matter!

        I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos Hlafka there
        under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US July 28
        1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
        I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your remarks, but
        from another
        g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is "town"....

        The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island arrived
        August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't one
        remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe we'll
        just never know!

        So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he should be
        on!
        In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand entry is
        him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born in Golnitz
        and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...

        There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of cultures..
        Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of South-East
        Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?

        Thanks!
        Chris

      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
          > Wow!
          > Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on
          churchrecords...very
          > useful!
          > Thank you!
          >
          > This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in
          say,
          > Kac^ur?
          >
          > That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many
          ways...or so many
          > names for that matter!
          >
          > I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos
          Hlafka there
          > under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US
          July 28
          > 1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
          > I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your
          remarks, but
          > from another
          > g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is
          "town"....

          > The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island
          arrived
          > August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't
          one
          > remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe
          we'll
          > just never know!
          >
          > So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he
          should be
          > on!
          > In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand
          entry is
          > him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born
          in Golnitz
          > and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...
          >
          > There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of
          cultures..
          > Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of
          South-East
          > Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Chris

          Over hundreds of years a place could have been known under a dozen
          different names.

          Close to borders a town could have names in 3 different languages.

          Bratislava (Sv)
          Poszony (H)
          Pressburg (G)

          Michalovce (Sv)
          Nagymihaly (H)
          Grossmichel (G)

          Kacsur (old spelling) = Kac^úr (new spelling)
          The point was the Hungarian letter 'cs' pron. ch was discontinued
          in 1910.
          My surname is spelled as Kurcsina in Hungarian.

          In Slovak the diacritic letter c^ is pron. ch.
          The ^ should be inverted directly over the letter (see name at end
          of message)
          Looks like a little v over the letter c.
          This letter softner is called a mäkc^en^ in Slovak and a hac^ek in
          Czech.
          And letter ú is pron. longer than an unaccented letter u.

          The Janos Hlafka, who arrived in 1901, sailed from Bremen, Germany
          on German ship Konigin (Queen) Luise.
          He was 25 years old in 1901 and single.

          How does this match YOUR surname's naturalization papers ?

          Poor memory of the emigrant ?
          Emigrants tended to remember the day they left their village of
          origin rather than the day of arrival in the U.S.
          They were leaving everything behind and going to a new life far away.

          Krompachy (Sv) Korompa (H) is located 5 miles from Gelnica Golnitz.

          This Spis^ (S) Szepes (H) Spisz (P) Zips (G) Spish (Ukr) region in
          Slovakia was unique in terms of culture and ethnicities.
          This was true in part to the Hapsburg plan for repopulating former
          Ottoman Hungary territory.
          Earlier the Hungarian kings had invited Germans to develop mines and
          work the land in return for special privileges.

          -Bánya as in Golniczbánya (Gelnica) means (ore) mine in Hungarian.

          Frank Kurcina
        • Joan Hendershot
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
            Chris:

            I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
            this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
            then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
            wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.

            Joan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
              Frank,
              Thanks so much for the info!
              The match between the Ellis Island info and the Natural'n info is..well..not
              quite a match...the age is a year off...pretty close though...and the town
              he's from is pretty close to Gelnica of course...however on the papers he's
              listed as coming from
              Golnitz (Gelnica)...I have to get that phone call from the FHC that the film
              is in though!
              RGH!

            • PopeBela@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
                In a message dated 6/4/01 10:28:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                jhender3@... writes:

                > I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
                > this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
                > then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
                > wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.
                >
                > Joan

                It's good to know that someone else is going through this too!! :)
                I'm hoping to get another copy of the naturalization papers ..this time from
                the
                Clerk of the Courts in Pittsburgh!
                Maybe I"ll be able to find something on there that didn't show up on the INS
                photocopy??
                We'll see!
                Chris