New PA death records (1924-1944) on Ancestry

  • hogelj
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 24, 2014

      As promised, Ancestry has added another batch of PA death records (1924-1944).  Searchable by name etc.  :-)

    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
        I couldn't find maternal great grandparents or paternal great grandmother's certificates, all died 1925 thru 1929. Kind of disappointed. Plus parts of ancestry like rootsweb, are down for repair from some sort of attack.

        On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM, hogelj@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        As promised, Ancestry has added another batch of PA death records (1924-1944).  Searchable by name etc.  :-)

      • Marilyn Murphy
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
          I also had difficulty in finding many of the Lackawanna Cty certificates. I wonder if they are still loading to they system?

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 25, 2014, at 8:36 AM, "Tom Potsko jaschr71@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I couldn't find maternal great grandparents or paternal great grandmother's certificates, all died 1925 thru 1929. Kind of disappointed. Plus parts of ancestry like rootsweb, are down for repair from some sort of attack.

          On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:30 AM, hogelj@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          As promised, Ancestry has added another batch of PA death records (1924-1944).  Searchable by name etc.  :-)

        • Sandra & John Panzitta

            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
              Ancestry.com and findagrave.com (part of Ancestry) was hit with a DDOS attack a few days ago and some parts of still recovering.

              I found two death certificates by using the index number.   If you go to the Pa Death indexes
              Public Records

              and locate the listing of the person you are looking for, it has a certificate number.  You can then search on Ancestry.com using that number.

            • hogelj
              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
                If you aren't finding the records you are searching for using names as the search input, try work to around like you do with the Morse One-Step.   Just like with any of the transcribed/indexed records, the interpretation of the handwriting by the reader can cause problems.  In one case I could not find a person by name, but by using the exact date of death I had from a church record and the county entered into the search parameters, I was able to find my person.   By the way, not only are the records indexed by the deceased's name but also by other names (spouse, parents) that appear on the death certificates.  If you aren't finding your person of interest by their name, try using associated names.
              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
                  Eva Potsko and John and Elizabeth Sweeney, all in Luzerne County, PA.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
                      Eva's been found; so on to the search for Elizabeth.  Any additional information on Elizabeth Sweeney (birth date, death date, spouse, parents)?  There are quite a few that show up in a search for just her name so a bit more info could narrow the possibilities down.
                    • Sandra & John Panzitta
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
                        I found John Sweeney, from Pikes Creek, Luzerne County, died 30 SEP 1925 and is Certificate #88409.

                        Sandra

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014

                              Think this is it

                              Elizabeth Sweeney

                              born: 9-25-1875; died:  5-9-1929

                              certificate no:  57917

                              http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/42342_647661_0620-00928/4412570?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dPADeathCollection%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26so%3d3%26MSAV%3d1%26gss%3dms_r_db%26gsfn%3dJohn%26gsfn_x%3dNP_NN%26gsln%3dGaughan%26gsln_x%3dNN%26msdpn__ftp%3dLuzerne%2bCounty%252c%2bPennsylvania%252c%2bUSA%26msdpn%3d1831%26msdpn_PInfo%3d7-%257c0%257c1652393%257c0%257c2%257c3244%257c41%257c0%257c1831%257c0%257c0%257c%26msypn__ftp%3dLuzerne%26dbOnly%3d_F80062DE%257c_F80062DE_x%26uidh%3dmy5&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

                            • hmsbob

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014

                                  By the way, the way I located Elizabeth Sweeney's death certificate was by searching with her father's name + Luzerne Co., PA.  Even though her name is clearly listed as Elizabeth Sweeney on the actual death certificate, she is indexed as Elizabeth Grummery/Elizabeth Gaughan.  That is why she doesn't show up when you searched for her under Elizabeth Sweeney. Father's name was correctly read by the indexer as Gaughan while mother's  was read as Mary Haben.  Error on mother's name is quite understandable, but Eizabeth's??????

                                  Judy

                                • Tom Potsko

                                          Message 22 of 26 , Jun 25, 2014
                                            Thanks! That is John.

                                            On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Sandra & John Panzitta pman40@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                            Here’s the link:

                                            http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=PADeathCollection&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=john&gsln=sweeney&_F80062DE=88409++&dbOnly=_F80062DE%7c_F80062DE_x&_F80062DE_

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                                SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          • Sandra & John Panzitta

                                                Message 25 of 26 , Jun 27, 2014
                                                  First if you can't find a death certificate try just putting in where they died at (for example Cambria County) and nothing else and search thru them all....time consuming yes but as in my case Ann Frankovich was indexed as surname Kovich and first name as Ann Fran.   My Hudak relatives were indexed as Hodock.   Also another way is to go to the PA state site, find their name and then use the file number to locate on ancestry.

                                                  I am sure you know ancestry.com is a paid site but if you are a PA resident you can go to this link and access the death certificates for free:

                                                  "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." ---C. S. Lewis

                                                  "You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."--John Wooden
                                                • Tony Puskar