Re: [S-R] Re: surnames, again

  • qt41059@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
      Question:
      The surname Karabin--does anyone know if that is Jewish or SlovaK?
      Thanks
      Kate

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., qt41059@a... wrote:
        > Question:
        > The surname Karabin--does anyone know if that is Jewish or SlovaK?
        > Thanks
        > Kate

        The surnames Karabin, Karaban, Karaba, and even Karabanos^ appear
        in Slovakia censuses.
        Have no data just lists of surnames.

        32 surname Karaban are listed in the U.S. Social Security Death Index.

        http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?F3=KARABAN&F4=&F0=&F1=&F2=&F2
        0=&ADVQT=%2FSEARCH%2FRECTYPE%2FVITAL%2FSSDI%2FMAIN.HTM&DB=SSDI&TI=0&SU
        BMIT423=SEARCH&F13=&F15=&F14=&F12=&F9=&F8=&F10=&F6=&F5=&F7=&fh=0

        2 surnames listed bear Russian first names, one first name is Polish,
        and only one looks Jewish ?

        132 surname Karabin are listed in U.S. Social Security Death Index.

        http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?F3=KARABIN&F4=&F0=&F1=&F2=&F2
        0=&ADVQT=%2FSEARCH%2FRECTYPE%2FVITAL%2FSSDI%2FMAIN.HTM&DB=SSDI&TI=0&SU
        BMIT423=SEARCH&F13=&F15=&F14=&F12=&F9=&F8=&F10=&F6=&F5=&F7=&fh=20
        Would say some of these surnames bear Jewish first names.

        Some surname Karabin were from Lithuania, which was once part of
        former pre-WW I Russian Empire as was part of former Poland
        (1792-1918)

        The Ellis Island Records database (1892-1924) lists 148 surnme Karabin
        who emmigrated to the U.S.
        From Russia, Hungary, Austria, Poland, and Slovakia.

        Some Catholic churches in Slovakia kept copies of Jewish records.
        For example, a portion of the records for the Jewish Community
        records for Rajec (near Z^ilina) have Druhopisy (Bishops' copy)
        as a title.
        The records start in 1787 and go through 1938, an unusually long
        time period.

        Did you have a village or town in mind ?
      • PopeBela@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
          Wow!
          Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on churchrecords...very
          useful!
          Thank you!

          This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in say,
          Kac^ur?

          That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many ways...or so many
          names for that matter!

          I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos Hlafka there
          under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US July 28
          1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
          I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your remarks, but
          from another
          g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is "town"....

          The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island arrived
          August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't one
          remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe we'll
          just never know!

          So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he should be
          on!
          In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand entry is
          him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born in Golnitz
          and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...

          There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of cultures..
          Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of South-East
          Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?

          Thanks!
          Chris

        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
            > Wow!
            > Thanks for all this input! I checked out that webpage on
            churchrecords...very
            > useful!
            > Thank you!
            >
            > This may sound kind of silly...but what is the ^ supposed to mean in
            say,
            > Kac^ur?
            >
            > That's something else...how one town can be spelled so many
            ways...or so many
            > names for that matter!
            >
            > I've checked out the Ellis Island site and I'm putting the Janos
            Hlafka there
            > under suspicion! While on his papers it says he arrived in the US
            July 28
            > 1901 in New York... the site says August 6 1901 !
            > I understand the margin of error is wide..not only from your
            remarks, but
            > from another
            > g-grandfather's papers....the translation of the town he's from is
            "town"....

            > The thing I find funny, is memory...if this Hlafka at Ellis Island
            arrived
            > August 6 is indeed MY Hlafka...then where did he get July? Wouldn't
            one
            > remember at least, what month they arrived here in the States? Maybe
            we'll
            > just never know!
            >
            > So know I'm anxiously awaiting the other film roll from FHC that he
            should be
            > on!
            > In the papers it says he's from Golnitz...however if the Ellis Isand
            entry is
            > him...then he's from Krompachy! THen agian, he may have been born
            in Golnitz
            > and lived in Krompachy for awhile...it does ask "Residence"...
            >
            > There was mention of this region being a unique one in terms of
            cultures..
            > Hungarian, Russian, German, Polish...is this the region of
            South-East
            > Slovakia in gereral? Or is it a little more precise?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Chris

            Over hundreds of years a place could have been known under a dozen
            different names.

            Close to borders a town could have names in 3 different languages.

            Bratislava (Sv)
            Poszony (H)
            Pressburg (G)

            Michalovce (Sv)
            Nagymihaly (H)
            Grossmichel (G)

            Kacsur (old spelling) = Kac^úr (new spelling)
            The point was the Hungarian letter 'cs' pron. ch was discontinued
            in 1910.
            My surname is spelled as Kurcsina in Hungarian.

            In Slovak the diacritic letter c^ is pron. ch.
            The ^ should be inverted directly over the letter (see name at end
            of message)
            Looks like a little v over the letter c.
            This letter softner is called a mäkc^en^ in Slovak and a hac^ek in
            Czech.
            And letter ú is pron. longer than an unaccented letter u.

            The Janos Hlafka, who arrived in 1901, sailed from Bremen, Germany
            on German ship Konigin (Queen) Luise.
            He was 25 years old in 1901 and single.

            How does this match YOUR surname's naturalization papers ?

            Poor memory of the emigrant ?
            Emigrants tended to remember the day they left their village of
            origin rather than the day of arrival in the U.S.
            They were leaving everything behind and going to a new life far away.

            Krompachy (Sv) Korompa (H) is located 5 miles from Gelnica Golnitz.

            This Spis^ (S) Szepes (H) Spisz (P) Zips (G) Spish (Ukr) region in
            Slovakia was unique in terms of culture and ethnicities.
            This was true in part to the Hapsburg plan for repopulating former
            Ottoman Hungary territory.
            Earlier the Hungarian kings had invited Germans to develop mines and
            work the land in return for special privileges.

            -Bánya as in Golniczbánya (Gelnica) means (ore) mine in Hungarian.

            Frank Kurcina
          • Joan Hendershot
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
              Chris:

              I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
              this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
              then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
              wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.

              Joan

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
                Frank,
                Thanks so much for the info!
                The match between the Ellis Island info and the Natural'n info is..well..not
                quite a match...the age is a year off...pretty close though...and the town
                he's from is pretty close to Gelnica of course...however on the papers he's
                listed as coming from
                Golnitz (Gelnica)...I have to get that phone call from the FHC that the film
                is in though!
                RGH!

              • PopeBela@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
                  In a message dated 6/4/01 10:28:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  jhender3@... writes:

                  > I think there must have been some kind of waiting period when they came into
                  > this country. My grandfather always spoke of his arrival as one date and
                  > then his date of entry as another. Your time period sounds just right. I
                  > wish I could tell you more about it, but I also have 2 dates.
                  >
                  > Joan

                  It's good to know that someone else is going through this too!! :)
                  I'm hoping to get another copy of the naturalization papers ..this time from
                  the
                  Clerk of the Courts in Pittsburgh!
                  Maybe I"ll be able to find something on there that didn't show up on the INS
                  photocopy??
                  We'll see!
                  Chris