Re: surnames, again

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
      The ancestors didn't "misspell" their surnames, the authorities did -
      whether an official, clerk, priest, or a ship purser.

      The Hungarian diagraph 'cs' pron. ch was discontinued in 1910.
      The Slovak diacritical letter c^ is also pron. ch.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists 2 surname Kac^úr under
      Bratislava. No Kacsur is listed.

      The directory also lists 2 surname Burc^ák under Gelnica, but no
      surname Burcsak.

      The Ellis Island Passenger Records list only a single surname Hlafka.
      A János (John) Hlafka, age 25, who arrived in 1901 from Thrompach,
      Hungary.
      This is probably a misspelling of place name Krompachi (Sv) Korampa
      (H) and located 5 miles distant from Gelnica (Sv) Gollnitz (G),
      Slovakia.

      The 1870 U.S. Census MI lists a Frederic Hlafka and a Jacob Hlafka.

      Transcribers had a difficult time deciphering the handwriting in the
      PLs and didn't know the emigrant's native languages.

      For example, 36 listings for one surname were stated as being from
      Hungary.
      The residence of 11 of the surnames was as follows :

      HUNGARY
      Residence

      1 Zobo Quszka

      3 D. Ruszka

      5 Dobo Ruszka

      6 Zobo Quszka

      8 Dobaruszka

      11 Zobo Quszka

      12 D. Ruszka

      19 Zobo Quszka

      21 D. Ruszka

      23 Dobornazka

      30 Zobo Quszka

      All 11 place names listed above are just one location (below),
      but misspelled under various other names.

      Village of Ruská (Sv) Dobóruszka (H) located 232 miles
      east of Bratislava and near Vel'ké Kapus^any in okres
      (district) Trebisov^ which is in eastern Slovakia.
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2001
        As Gelnica had a large German population, the "f" in Hlafka (instead
        of Hlavka) could be due to German pronunciation. I don't speak
        German, but from what I've read, v can be pronounced as f in German.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...