Changes in Research in Hungary from July 1.

  • Alexandra Vargovits
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2014
      Changes in Research in Hungary from July 1!!!

      Due to changes in legislation the following civil registers will be researched:
      Birth: 100 years after the last birth date in the book and 30 years after the last post-note.
      (It is 130 years practically)
      Marriage: 75 years after the last entry in the book.
      Death: prior to 1984.
      No photography will be allowed!

      So, if someone needs information and pictures from these materials, this is the last chance.
      I can research for you this week and next Monday.
      I'm going to county archives where are civil registers from ZEMPLEN, GOMOR, TORNA NOGRAD, HONT, KOMAROM and ESZTERGOM counties.

      I can also take pictures about the 1869 census sheets of ZEMPLEN, UNG and KOMAROM county and 1857 census of SARIS and ABAUJ-TORNA

      Immigration records are also available in some archives.

      This is a map of present day Hungary and Great-Hungary with the names of counties:
      www.magyarorszag-szep.hu/varmegyek%20nagyobb.jpg

      Lexy

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2014
        I don't believe that the 1869 Census sheets for Ung Megye are found in Hungary. They are in Uzhorod Archive, according to my information. They have been filmed (privately) but the holder wants $$$.

        Zemplen Census is at LDS but NOT online due to posting errors. LDS seems incapable of comprehending their errors.
      • Alexandra Vargovits
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 24, 2014
          Yes, I know the Mormon's attitude. 439 villages were in Zemplen county in 1869 and all of the original census sheets are available at the archives.
          I can understand the person who wants money for the Ung census sheets. I also work for money. We don't get the gasoline, food and hotel room for free. Photo ticket costs 13 USD in Zemplen for a day and researching in Ukraine isn't easy and we usually give presents for the archivists. Earlier they got some money.
          If we want information we have to work and pay for it. Especially in Ukraine. I believe that it is much better to get everything for free.
          I've been researching in Slovakia, Ukraine, Hungary and Romania for 12 years and I know exactly where to find what.

          Lexy

          On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:04 PM, "johnqadam@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I don't believe that the 1869 Census sheets for Ung Megye are found in Hungary. They are in Uzhorod Archive, according to my information. They have been filmed (privately) but the holder wants $$$.

          Zemplen Census is at LDS but NOT online due to posting errors. LDS seems incapable of comprehending their errors.

        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2014
            Lexy -

            We've messages before.

            Is your research going to cover the area of Rudabanyacska?

            I believe my grandfather is from there but I've been unable to find any other information.

            Suzanne Bond

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25, 2014
              Dear Suzanne,

              I remember and I can research for you of course.
              Please write me which information do you neeed asap, because Monday is the last day when I can research in civil registers. This new legislation caused a big chaos.
              Fortunately the new regulation does not affect the research of church registers.

              Regards,
              Lexy

[...]

            • Suzanne Bond
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 26, 2014
                The information I have is:

                George Soos
                Birthdate:  22 June 1882
                Place:  Rudabanyacska

                I would like to verify the birth date and find out parent's names (I have father - Mike - and mother - Mary but don't know if this is accurate) and if there are any brothers and/or sisters.

                Came to the United States in 1901 or 1902 but I can't find record of that other than an article in the newspaper about my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary.

                Not sure of religion but he married my grandmother in a GC church in Pennsylvania.

                I have also been told that this family was related to families named Horkavi and Baranko.  I have found marriage records of a Baranko+Horkavi marriage but don't know how they may be connected to the Soos family (at one time my mother told me they were cousins).

                Thanks, Lexy.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 26, 2014
                  Dear Alexandra,

                  I don't quite understand your missive regarding changing legislation and how it
                  affects the archives.  You said because of the changing legislation that particular
                  records will be researched and you give a list.  Isn't that a good thing?  Are you
                  implying the records will be closed and unavailable?  Then, you mention records
                  from the last date in the book, something about 130 years . . .. . what's the last
                  date in what books?  Are they getting rid of the books?

                  Can you or someone else please explain plainly what's happening and how it affects
                  researchers as I don't understand your email but I do appreciate you taking the time
                  to inform us.

                  Thank you for your help.

                  Patricia Ehret

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 26, 2014
                    Dear Patricia,

                    Here is the official announcement on the website of National Archive of Budapest. It's appeared this morning on the site.
                    It means that the birth registers will be researchable after 130 years (prior 1885), marriage after 86 years (prior 1929) and death prior 1980 in the Hungarian Archives.
                    It is not clear yet that the new regulation is apply to church books.
                    We have to wait a few days until the situation will be resolved.
                    I've heard that the Mormons have to remove the records protected by low.

                    I don't speak English well, but I hope you understand the point.
                    This new legislation is a huge blow to Hungarian genealogists:(

                    Lexy

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 26, 2014
                      Hello Patricia,

                      As far as I understand the post, the CIVIL REGISTERS of the Hungarian Government Archives in Budapest and regional centres are being restricted on July 1st.

                      Birth records: 100 years after the last birth date in the book and 30 years after the last post-note. - A civil register book may contain hundreds of pages and span a decade or more. So even if your ancestor was born in 1910, and the last entry in the book is 1923, then the book will not be available for research. If there is an addendum to any entry (eg a marriage or divorce or a death), then there is a further restriction of 30 years. So in some cases, only the books that end before 1914 will be available OR before 1884 if there is an addendum.

                      Marriage: 75 years after the last entry in the book.
                      Death: prior to 1984.
                      No photography will be allowed!

                      Lexy has mentioned some charges that a researcher has to pay. There are yearly joining fees, book and document retrieval fees and an additional fee per day for photography. I should say that these charges and changes to the law are government charges. The actual people who run the archives are very helpful and understanding and would not support these changes.

                      None of this applies to Church records though. In other words, you or a researcher can petition your ancestor's church to view their books.

                      Hope that helps.

                      Peter M.

                    • Jill's Slovakian Genealogy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 26, 2014
                        Hi I haven't started contacting European government archives for records yet so I haven't researched my question, but thought you would know.

                        Does the current country of Hungary have only or mostly the records of the current country Hungary?  Or, does the current country of Hungary also have Austro-Hungarian records as well which would include other current countries besides Hungary?  Maybe records got divvied to new countries when austro-Hungarian Empire dissolved?

                        I don't have relatives from current Hungary but I have ancestors from Austro-Hungarian empire.

                        Thanks.

                        Best Regards,
                        Jill A Baty

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 29, 2014