New to the list

  • Gregory J. Kopchak
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 1999
      I just signed up for the SLOVAK-ROOTS list today. My name is Greg Kopchak.

      You can get a little bit about my family background at

      http://www.iarelative.com/stanisla.htm

      http://www.iarelative.com/sandor01.htm

      http://www.iarelative.com/smik01.htm

      and

      http://www.iarelative.com/macala/

      We live in Florissant, Missouri and own It's All Relative Software, sponsor
      of Searching in Slovakia

      http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm

      and Slovak and Carpatho-Rusyn Genealogical Research

      http://www.iarelative.com/slovakia.htm

      I am also moderator of the Czech and Slovak Family History Forum, a quite
      active genealogy message base with over 11,000 messages on line.

      http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=iarelative

      I own the news-4-u.com news agency that has a special area set up for news
      from Slovakia in English

      http://news-4-u.com/slovak/

      We are looking forward to some interesting discussions on this list.

      Greg Kopchak
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 1999
        Good to have you join us Greg!

        I hope you will send those url's frequently to remind people to go to
        your excellent websites.
        I've used them myself often.....

        Maura

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Debbie Maxwell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hello All,
          This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is researching any of the same names or the same villages, please contact me and we can share information.

          I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin, Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen County, Slovakia.

          Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA), KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO, MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

          From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin - surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak, Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro, Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no village yet.

          Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Debbie Maxwell" <debmax@o...> wrote:
            > Hello All,
            > This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and
            post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is
            researching any of the same names or the same villages, please contact
            me and we can share information.

            > I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin,
            Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen
            County, Slovakia.

            > Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK
            OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK
            (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA),
            KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO,
            MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

            > From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin -
            surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames
            Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in
            Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and
            Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch
            or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak,
            Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro,
            Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no
            village yet.

            > Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

            Don't know your surnames.

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the parish church records for :

            Osadné (Telepóc)
            G.C. (1735-1944)

            Stakc^in (Takcsány)
            G.C. (1812-1896)

            Ruské (Ruszka) (Oroszruska)
            G.C. (1825-1879)

            Banské (Bányapataka)
            G.C. (1817-1943)

            Hungarian English
            rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
            ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

            Since the village church records were all görög katholikus,
            perhaps Rusinko and others were Carpatho-Rusyn surname bearers ?

            Frank Kurcina
          • Dale Karaff
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
              Dear Debbie,
              I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.
              My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin (majtryszyn),
              Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
              middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
              name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father, a
              Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
              the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a son,
              George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855). They
              had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named Anna.
              They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
              grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
              Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
              Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
              Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave in
              Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not had
              any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know how
              they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
              If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and marriage
              records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
              Banske area.
              I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
              have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
              Sisak's.
              I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
              surnames.
              Thank you
              Dale Karaff
              dkaraff@...

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Debbie Maxwell" <debmax@o...> wrote:
              > Hello All,
              > This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and
              post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is
              researching any of the same names or the same villages, please
              contact me and we can share information.

              > I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin,
              Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen
              County, Slovakia.

              > Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK
              OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK
              (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA),
              KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO,
              MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

              > From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin -
              surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames
              Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in
              Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and
              Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch
              or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak,
              Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro,
              Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no
              village yet.

              > Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

            • John
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
                At 05:37 PM 4/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
                >Dear Debbie,
                >I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.

                Dušan Mitrišin
                110, Banské
                0931/4490171

                Ján Mitrišin
                292, Banské
                0931/4490608

                John
              • Debbie Maxwell
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
                  Dear John,
                  Where are you located? My mother grew up in Banske, her name is Anna Uchal,
                  I know her cousin was a Mitrisin and a 3rd great grandmother of mine is
                  Maria Mitrisin, born around 1808. What are your other surnames for Banske?
                  What information do you have on the Banske Mitrisins. Have you looked at the
                  Banske birth, death and marriage records? I know there are a lot of
                  Mitrisins in the records. Looking forward to hearing from you.
                  Debbie

                  > >I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.
                  >
                  > Dusan Mitrisin
                  > 110, Banské
                  > 0931/4490171
                  >
                  > Ján Mitrisin
                  > 292, Banské
                  > 0931/4490608
                  >
                  > John

                • John
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
                    At 07:58 PM 4/30/01 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Dear John,
                    >Where are you located? My mother grew up in Banske, her name is Anna Uchal,
                    >I know her cousin was a Mitrisin and a 3rd great grandmother of mine is
                    >Maria Mitrisin, born around 1808. What are your other surnames for Banske?
                    >What information do you have on the Banske Mitrisins. Have you looked at the
                    >Banske birth, death and marriage records? I know there are a lot of
                    >Mitrisins in the records. Looking forward to hearing from you.
                    >Debbie

                    Sorry for having possibly mislead you but I was in a hurry and didn't
                    include the source of the information, which was the online Slovak phone
                    book. http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html
                    I just checked and found 5 Ucha'l' listings for Banske' in the phone
                    book. My parent's villages were in the Bardejov area so I haven't
                    researched any of the Banske' church registers.

                    John
                  • frankur@att.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2001
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Dale Karaff" <dkaraff@i...> wrote:
                      > Dear Debbie,
                      > I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.

                      > My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin (majtryszyn),
                      > Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
                      > middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
                      > name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father, a
                      > Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
                      > the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a
                      son,
                      > George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855). They
                      > had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named Anna.

                      > They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
                      > grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
                      > Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
                      > Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
                      > Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave
                      in
                      > Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not
                      had
                      > any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know
                      how
                      > they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
                      > If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and
                      marriage
                      > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
                      > Banske area.
                      > I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
                      > have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
                      > Sisak's.
                      > I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
                      > surnames.
                      > Thank you
                      > Dale Karaff

                      Don't know your surnames.

                      Vechec (Sv) Vehéc (H) is located in the Vranov nad Topl'ou area.
                      You read the LDS microfilms for R.C. records (1789-1899) for
                      Juskova Vol'a and Vechec ?
                      Vechec has 2 churches.

                      Would expect the surname was listed under the grécko-katolícka
                      records.

                      The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records (1831-1895) for
                      C^emerné, Slovakia, formerly Csemernye, Zemplén, Hungary (also called
                      Varannó-Csemernye).
                      Includes Juskova Vol'a, Slovakia, formerly Juszkó-Volya, Zemplén
                      Megye, Hungary; Vranov, Slovakia, formerly Varannó, Zemplén Megye,
                      Hungary and Vechec, Slovakia, formerly Vehécz, Zemplén Megye, Hungary.
                      Text in Hungarian, Latin and Ruthenian.
                      film #
                      1792039
                      1792020

                      http://www.gates96.com/cam/europe/Slovakia/Vechec/index.html?cam0.html

                      Frank Kurcina
                    • ccaswick@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11 7:59 AM
                        I am related to the Mitro family of Cleveland Ohio and also have
                        heard of the Cleveland Hudak family.

                      • ccaswick@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11 8:02 AM
                          I am an ancestor of the Slovak Mitro family which settled in
                          Cleveland, Ohio -- I have also heard of the Hudak family, also of
                          Cleveland.

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 11 8:43 AM
                            At 02:59 PM 7/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
                            > > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
                            > > Banske area.

                            There are two Mitris^in listed for Banske:

                            Dušan Mitrišin
                            110, Banské
                            057/4490171

                            Ján Mitrišin
                            292, Banské
                            057/4490608

                            John
                          • boblorna1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
                              Hi,

                              I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the surname,
                              (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and RANCUK.
                              I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from the Lomza
                              area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching STRAUSS, RYBKA,
                              and BAST.

                              Lorna Fromknecht

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
                                Lorna,

                                I have two friends, surnames RUNC'AK (roon-chak) and RUSIC' (roo-sich)
                                from the my ancestral Villages of Nova Sedlica (Ujsek) and Zboj
                                (Harczos) in extreme northeast Slovakia. These villages are on the
                                Poland-Ukraine borders. Remarkably, they are seeking their families in
                                America. We are having a heck of a time finding them in the States -
                                the name appears to have been altered dramtically. It is easier to find
                                someone in Slovakia than in America! RUNCAK initially immigrated to
                                Scranton/Dunmore 1904-06 and stayed with my relatives.

                                Does any of this sound familiar? What years did your immigrants arrive?
                                To where? Have you searched www.ellisisland.org for them?

                                Bill Tarkulich

                                I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the
                                surname,
                                (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and
                                RANCUK. I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from
                                the Lomza
                                area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching
                                STRAUSS, RYBKA,
                                and BAST.

                                Lorna Fromknecht

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to