Re: Films at the FHC

  • Dollins
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
      Maura --

      Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA, FHC
      that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
      there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)

      Anabeth Dollins
      axd2@...

      Maura wrote:

      Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
      there, even if you move.

      Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
      is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
      are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
      notification fee.

      Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
      further notification fee).

      After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
      meaning it stays at the local FHC.

      Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
      film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
      better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
      does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
      describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
      another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
      the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
      this and its been fine with the second copy.
    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
        Anabeth,

        I am hearing sparodic reports that some FHCs are "discouraging"
        permanent loans, however that is NOT SLC policy. What SLC told every FHC
        is to go through their permanent collections and send back any films
        that no patron has used in quite awhile (but only after contacting the
        original person who ordered the film and getting their approval to
        return it).

        I have a friend in Georgia who has had a real problem with this issue at
        her FHC and even had to call SLC about it..... and SLC was not happy
        that her FHC was not allowing her to have the films she wanted in on
        permanent loan.

        The key is to be nice, but firm. If you can't get an answer, leave a
        note for the FHC director, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call
        or write to the stake president (who technically is in charge of the
        FHC).

        But hopefully you won't have a problem. If you do email me privately and
        I'll try and point you in the right direction.

        Maura

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
          Do you mind if I ask what kind of information is on these census films? Did
          they count everybody, and say something about where they lived, or what they
          did for a living? I assume this is already on Maura's or somebody's web
          page but I missed it. I did find a web page with a Hungarian census from
          1891 that lists all the small shopkeepers and craftsmen, and found a few
          family names.

          Andrea

          > Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA,
          FHC
          > that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
          > there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)
          >
          > Anabeth Dollins
          > axd2@...
          >

          > Maura wrote:
          >

          > Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
          > there, even if you move.
          >
          > Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
          > is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
          > are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
          > notification fee.
          >
          > Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
          > further notification fee).
          >
          > After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
          > meaning it stays at the local FHC.
          >

          > Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
          > film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
          > better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
          > does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
          > describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
          > another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
          > the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
          > this and its been fine with the second copy.

          > Attention ONElist list owners.
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option. See homepage for details.

        • Dollins
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 1999
            I didn't have time to study the films when they arrived. I'll have to borrow
            them again this fall after gardening season ends. The Brezova film was full
            of names I recognized from my Chicago childhood, along with about twenty
            columns for facts about each family: people, horses, sheep.

            Anabeth