[S-R] Re: surnames

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
      > In a message dated 6/2/01 10:59:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      frankur@a...
      > writes:
      >

      > > Don't know you surnames.
      > > Expect the first 3 surnames were misspelled.
      > > Are they pre-emigration or post-emigration spellings ?
      > > Polanofsky is Slovak equivalent of Polish surname Polanowski.
      > >

      > Are you sure they're misspelled?
      > In the church records their last names are as they appear. (In Latin
      of
      > course)

      Did you review the LDS microfilms for Gelnica (1695-1888) and find
      your surname's records and written in Latin ?

      http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

      > The Hlafka I first discovered in naturalization papers..."f"
      > included...however I can easily see how it could be a "v" instead.

      When I discovered my GF's naturalization papers, they listed wrong
      country, wrong village of origin , wrong surname spelling (Hungarian),
      wrong ship, wrong date of arrival, and wrong emperor to renounce
      his allegiance from.

      In fact, most American documentation from pre-WW I eras are suspect.
      In those days the listener (clerk, official, priest etc) wrote down
      what he thought the emigrant said in reply to his questions.
      Some immigrants spoke many languages but were illiterate.
      Nobody checked for correctness.
      Preciseness in spelling is a modern day convention.

      > What do you mean be devoiced? It wasn't spoken?

      Jonathan Shea & William Hoffman have just published a new book
      A Genalogist's Translation Guide to Polish, Germen, Latin, and Russian
      Documents
      Several chapters are devoted to common erroneous spellings of
      surnames.

      Since the Ellis Island Emigrant Web site went online receive dozens of
      queries each email dump requesting " where is " and " what is " ?

      For example, a place name in Upper-Hungary (now Slovakia) can have 10
      incorrect spellings and a surname 3-4 alternative spellings in the
      EI Passenger Records.

      > I really appreciate your "two cents" :)
      > I'm gaining more knowlege about it evreyday....from I can see it
      does look
      > like an interesting place...I read it was a "Free City"..what
      exactly does
      > that mean?

      You possibly read about German Law ?

      Among the earliest German colonies were those begun in the late
      12th c in Transylvania and in the mountainous area of Spis^/Zips/
      Szepes county in northern Hungary near the towns of Levoc^a (Sv)/
      Leutschau (G) and Kez^marok (Sv)/Késmárk (H)/Käsmarkt(G)
      The Spis^ enclave was expanded through special privileges granted in
      1224 and 1271.
      It was at this time that the "Saxons" (actually not from Saxony but
      from the Rhineland) came in large numbers.

      The German colonists brought legal models that formed the basis of
      their
      special privileged status. Called 'German City Law' these meant that
      they could within their "new cities" direct their economic activity
      and
      govern themseleves through an elected city council.
      South German Law (based on models of Nürnberg or Vienna) was adopted
      for
      Levoc^a (Sv) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G), Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) Kaschau
      (G),
      Kez^marok (Sv) Késmárk (H) Käsmarkt (G), and Pres^ov (Sv) Epérjes (H)
      Preschau (G)

      > Thanks again,
      > Chris

      Frank Kurcina
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi PopeBela!

        Personally I hesitate to say some ancestor 'misspelled' a family name'. I
        buy into the idea that spellings changed with time, politics, literacy and
        downright choice of the ancestors to change names as they wished.

        Identification of villages can be even more fun!

        Today the village of Sulin on the Poprad river NE of Stara Lubovna consists
        of the settlements Velke Sulin, which was in Szepes county, Zavodie which
        was a few km downstream and also in Szepes, and Maly Sulin which was
        upstream and in Saris county. These are some of the fascinating spellings
        and references that were made to the three settlements. I put the
        variations down to the pronunciation of the traveler as much as the
        recorder:

        Maly Lulin, Cz. Slov.
        Sarosszulin, Hungary
        Soroszulia, Hungary
        Saros Lzulin
        Sara Szulise
        Sulin, Hungary
        Tzulin
        Yzulin
        .ulin, Hungary
        S. Szulin, Hungary

        Szepesszulin, Hungary
        Lzepeszulin, Hungary
        Hungary Lzewesszulin
        Sz Szulin
        Note no "Nagy Sulin" for "Velky" or "Large Sulin" despite "Hungary" as
        country, and the Hungarian "Sz" in place of the Slovak "Sulin" & Rusyn
        "Sulyn"..

        And maybe :
        Synlin
        Virulin, Hungary

        I still haven't found the "Paloci Szulin, Palais Szulin" that I have seen on
        some records. This meaning has me mystified, along with the newly
        discovered "Lzewesszulin".

        And finally, just a bit farther downstream I found some people traveling
        from modern "Medzibrodie, Slovakia" who claimed to be from "Miedzzbodzie,
        Galizia". I'll have to call up those old map boundaries and see if the old
        border crossed the Poprad river once again! I find it fascinating.

        Ron

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:

        > > Are you sure they're misspelled?
        > > In the church records their last names are as they appear. (In Latin
        > of
        > > course)
        >
        > Did you review the LDS microfilms for Gelnica (1695-1888) and find
        > your surname's records and written in Latin ?
        >
        > http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//
        >

        > Preciseness in spelling is a modern day convention.
        > For example, a place name in Upper-Hungary (now Slovakia) can have 10
        > incorrect spellings and a surname 3-4 alternative spellings in the
        > EI Passenger Records
      • Mary Hudec
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2001
          Hi Everyone,

          I've been researching my Slovak side and am stuck in
          the 1820s or so. On one side I'm looking for Hudec.
          Josef Hudec was born Oct 12,1849 son of Michal Hudec
          and Josefina (Raucina) Hudec. He married Filomena
          Matura born Feb 23 1861. She was the daughter of
          Frantisek Matura and Josefina Matura. Relatives have
          told me that they were from Bratislava.

          Thanks
          Mary

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • icieyh@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
            Hi I'm from Bratislava (Slovakia) and one my friend is called
            Michaela Hudecova... her brother is Pavol Hudec and their parents...
            Pavol and .... well, I don't remember their mom's name, Hudec, so
            when I go to see her, I can ask...

            Icie

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Mary Hudec <hawaiihudec@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I've been researching my Slovak side and am stuck in
            > the 1820s or so. On one side I'm looking for Hudec.
            > Josef Hudec was born Oct 12,1849 son of Michal Hudec
            > and Josefina (Raucina) Hudec. He married Filomena
            > Matura born Feb 23 1861. She was the daughter of
            > Frantisek Matura and Josefina Matura. Relatives have
            > told me that they were from Bratislava.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Mary

          • John Venham
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
              Hello

              Can anyone recommend current newsgroups similar to the
              Slovak-Roots, but concerning the Czech Rep/Bohemia?

              Thanks

              JV

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Eric Haas
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2001
                Monday, June 04, 2001, 9:39:43 AM, you wrote:

                JV> Hello

                JV> Can anyone recommend current newsgroups similar to the
                JV> Slovak-Roots, but concerning the Czech Rep/Bohemia?

                Do you mean newsgroups or mailing lists? Roots Web has a mailing list
                specific to the Czech Republic and Bohemia. To subscribe, send an
                e-mail to CZECH-L-REQUEST@... (or
                CZECH-D-REQUEST@... for the digest mode) with just the word
                "subscribe" in the body.

                If you really wanted a newsgroup, not a mailing list, then
                soc.genealogy.slavic is as close as you are going to get.