Mary Valochek/Valoscik

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 22, 2014

      Besides DOB 1878, what do we know abou Maria?

      Amara is not a village name.

      The surnames seems to appear around Michalovce, especially in Palin and a couple of other places.

      Priezvisko VAĽOVČÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 11×, celkový počet lokalít: 8, v lokalitách:
      PALÍN okr. MICHALOVCE – 3×;
      STRÁŽSKE okr. MICHALOVCE – 2×;
      DRAHŇOV okr. TREBIŠOV (od  r. 1996 MICHALOVCE) – 1×;
      HUDCOVCE okr. HUMENNÉ – 1×;
      LOŽÍN okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
      ORESKÉ okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
      PAVLOVCE NAD UHOM okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
      ZBUDZA okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

      Priezvisko VAĽOVČIK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 3×, celkový počet lokalít: 3, v lokalitách:
      PALÍN okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;
      VEĽKÉ TRAKANY okr. TREBIŠOV – 1×;
      VOJČICE okr. TREBIŠOV – 1×;

      Priezvisko VALOVČÍK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 8×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
      HUMENNÉ okr. HUMENNÉ – 5×;
      STRÁŽSKE okr. MICHALOVCE – 3×;

    • travel2001@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
        My Mother belonged to a Slovak Society in Detroit.  There was a "Walocheck" family that lived near us in the old "Delray" neighborhood.  Mr Walocheck (I'm spelling the name phonetically)owned a gas station on Fort street.
        Most of the Slovaks that belonged tothe society came from the same part of Slovakia.  When I found my Mothers Birth Certificate, it listed the country as "Austro-Hungry", and her place of birth as "Sobrance".  that was in 1912.

        She always referred to her  village name as "Vysoke", which I know means "high", but was there such a town back then ?
        George Iski

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
          Sobrance is just east of Michalovce.

          I think that the nearest instance of [Vysoky] is Vysoká nad Uhom located due south of Sobrance and east of Pavolvce nad Uhom. I wonder whether the reference MIGHT have been to nearby Velky Zaluzice?

          The Iski surname lives on in the village of Senne, my mother's village.

          Are we looking at GC or RC?

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
            Thank you, John, for your help.  After starting my search a couple of years ago, I became the primary caregiver for a friend w/lung cancer and now caregiver for my sister, so my time and funds for searching have been pretty limited and my results poor, so any help that anyone can give me would be VERY much appreciated.

            Besides Mary's DOB(1878) and POB (Amaza, Hungary, not Amara), I know that she married a John Baranchek and lived in IL and had 3 children - John, Mary, and Andrew.  After John died, she married my GF Paul Lepi born 1877 in Kolosa/Kalosa? (both spellings on his Declaration of Intent dated1918), Hungary, and had 10 more children.  I have found a Kalocsa in Hungary and a Kalosa in Slovakia, but nothing anywhere for Amaza.

            Paul left from Bremen and arrived at Baltimore in Nov.1899. No imm. or marriage date info on Mary. They lived in Pleasant City, OH (Guernsey Co).  Paul died in 1925 and Mary died in 1953.  I have found them in the 1900 and 1910 censuses, but nothing back to Hungary/Austria-Hungary/CZ/Slovakia, except DOB and POB.

            I believe that Mary was RC and Paul GC, but attended a GC church in Pleasant City.

            Carol

            On Monday, June 23, 2014 11:49 AM, "johnqadam@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Sobrance is just east of Michalovce.

            I think that the nearest instance of [Vysoky] is Vysoká nad Uhom located due south of Sobrance and east of Pavolvce nad Uhom. I wonder whether the reference MIGHT have been to nearby Velky Zaluzice?

            The Iski surname lives on in the village of Senne, my mother's village.

            Are we looking at GC or RC?

          • randm1979
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
              Birth record for a Maria Valyovcsik here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V1QR-332

              Record is for a Maria born 10 April 1878 in Eormezo, Zemplin, Hungary (today Strazke, Kosice, Slovakia); parents Janos Valyovcsik and Maria Estok.

              Main reason I posted this is because the birth village might be pronounced in Hungarian somewhat like we'd say "Amaza"

              http://www.cisarik.com gives several Hungarian spellings Őrmező, Oermeső, Őermező, Eörmező, Őrmező for the birth village.

              Mel

            • randm1979
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                In case you don't have it, here's 1896 marriage record for Mary and 1st husband: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21130-32228-6?cc=1589502

              • randm1979
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                  Here's a record of her 1904 Ohio marriage to Paul Lepaj (as he signed his name): https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X8MV-64J

                  Father's name John; mother's name not recorded.

                  Mel
                • randm1979
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                    Carol,

                    Chances that the candidate Slovak birth record matches "your" Mary have increased. This is because  the 1900 census record for her and her family included her brother John b 1872; a brother John was born to the candidate Maria's parents on 29 Jan 1871 -- here's the Slovak record: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V17W-XCC

                    Note that the godfather of this John Valyovcsik was a Janos Barancsak, possibly related to Maria's first husband John Barancsak.

                    Mel

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                      I think that is a good call!
                    • Carol
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                        YES! That has to be my grandmother!  I am numb right now - to have any information from her life in the "old country" is such a blessing. We thought HER mother's maiden name might be Bodnar, but it apparently was my GF's mother's name. Lots of different spellings to think about now.  I'm wondering how many more spellings there are for my GF.

                        I haven't gotten through the rest of the e-mails, but I am so grateful for what I have been able to get through now. I hope this is the glass screen that has been broken.

                        On Monday, June 23, 2014 4:19 PM, "johnqadam@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        I think that is a good call!

                      • randm1979
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                          Carol,

                          Forgot to post the birth record of Pal Lipaj: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V1WX-TQG
                          Pal, born 6 Mar 1877, parents Gyorgy Lipaj and Maria Bodnar -- same parents as on record of his 1904 Ohio marriage to Maria Banacsak.

                          Looks like birth village was Kalusa, Ung, Hungary -- today Kaluza, Kosice, Slovakia (see cisarik.com).

                          r/Mel

                        • Carol
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                            Randm,
                            I just read through the other Posts you sent and I can hardly contain my excitement.  I now have names and places and know exactly where they were from. Some of the information you and John sent I had come across some of the names and places, but could not definitely associate them with my
                            grandparents.  Thank you both so much.  I will go over everything more thoroughly and if I have any questions, I hope you won't mind if I ask.

                            Carol

                            On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:14 PM, "randm1979@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Carol,

                            Forgot to post the birth record of Pal Lipaj: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V1WX-TQG
                            Pal, born 6 Mar 1877, parents Gyorgy Lipaj and Maria Bodnar -- same parents as on record of his 1904 Ohio marriage to Maria Banacsak.

                            Looks like birth village was Kalusa, Ung, Hungary -- today Kaluza, Kosice, Slovakia (see cisarik.com).

                            r/Mel

                          • georgeiski446
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                              I believer my Grandmothers maiden name was "Uhelak".  They wound up in Canada.  Hamilton, I believe.

                              How can I get some records / info from Senne ?
                              George

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                                You should start a new string rather than jumping this one.
                              • johnqadam
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 23, 2014
                                  Here is some more pretty good news. The Vaľovčík village of Ormezo/Strazske was in Zemplen Megye = county. That being the case, the 1869 Hungarian Census is avaiable and will likely give you a dteailed family history as it existed in 1869. HOWEVER, LDS is seemingly incapable of understanding that its listing of all the census films for villages found under Zemplen Megye is in error. Therefore, this information is available on film only. Here is the relevant film number.

                                  1869 Hungarian Census Őrmező (Strážske) -- Őrős (Strážné) Film #722762

                                • johnqadam
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 24, 2014
                                    Here is the basis for your preparation of a page by page index of your Valocik church records in Strazske. As you locate information, note the page numbers so that you can go back and find it quickly. Your info starts in 1713.

                                    Happy squinting.

                                    Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages, and deaths for Strážske, Slovakia; formerly Őrmező, Zemplén, Hungary.

                                    Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910 Image Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910; pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11665-170956-39 — FamilySearch.org

                                    Inv. č. 1158

                                    Krsty 1713-1761 –

                                    Úmrtia 1715-1719 –

                                    Úmrtia 1726-1731 –

                                    Úmrtia 1733-1763 –

                                    Inv. č. 1159

                                    Krsty 1763-1780 –

                                    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11025-120360-76?cc=1554443&wc=MPFH-N3D:107654301,110350301,115862901,950194301

                                    Inv. č. 1159 (pokrač.)

                                    Krsty 1780-1801 –

                                    Manželstvá 1763-1801 –

                                    Úmrtia 1763-1801 –

                                    Konvertiti 1767-1807 –

                                    Inv. č. 1160

                                    Krsty 1802-1827 –

                                    Manželstvá 1802-1827 –

                                    Úmrtia 1802-1827 –

                                    Inv. č. 1161

                                    Krsty 1828-1845 –

                                    Krsty 1872-1883 –

                                    Inv. č. 1161/1

                                    Krsty 1884-1911 –

                                    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12346-81200-66?cc=1554443&wc=MPFD-3TL:107654301,110350301,115862901,950194401

                                    Inv. č. 1161/1 (pokrač.)

                                    Krsty 1912-1917 –

                                    Krsty 1888-1923 (v Americe) –

                                    Inv. č. 1162

                                    Manželstvá 1828-1844 –

                                    Inv. č. 1163

                                    Úmrtia 1828-1844 –

                                    Inv. č. 1164

                                    Krsty 1844-1872 –

                                    Birmovaní 1851 –

                                    Inv. č. 1165

                                    Manželstvá 1844-1940 –

                                    Inv. č. 1166

                                    Úmrtia 1844-1866 –

                                    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11613-43870-54?cc=1554443&wc=MPFC-T3N:107654301,110350301,115862901,950194101

                                    Inv. č. 1166 (pokrač.)

                                    Úmrtia 1866-1873 –

                                    Inv. č. 1167

                                    Úmrtia 1873-1917 –

                                    Inv. č. 1168 Druhopisy krstov, manželstvá, úmrtí 1882-1895 -

                                  • Carol
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 24, 2014
                                      Thanks, John.  That does sound like good news.  How do I go about accessing this?  I Googled "1869 Hungarian Census" and clicked on a couple of the sites, but couldn't get to any film.         Carol

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 24, 2014
                                        Carol:

                                        Valovcik lived at House #178, per church record.  That will make the 1869 Hungarian Census lookup much faster. Of course, it will take a month or so for the film to arrive at your nearest LDS Family History Center (FHS) after you have ordered it online on the LDS web site.

                                        You may want to consider making the census film "permanent" at your FHS so that you can go back to it for other lookups. Ask about that and pay locally.
                                      • johnqadam
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 24, 2014
                                          >>> How do I go about accessing this?  I Googled "1869 Hungarian Census" and clicked on a couple of the sites, but couldn't get to any film.  <<<

                                          No more Googling. Everything you need/want is on the LDS site but the film is NOT there. You can only ORDER the actual film for research at your nearest LDS Family History Center. I already gace you the film number. With that info and a credit card, you are all set.

                                          Your film reference is at bottom of page 1.

                                          Here is the URL for ordering films at LDS: