Re: surnames

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'm new to this list..I'm researching family from the former
      Austro-Hungarian
      > Empire where my ancestors lived in what is now, Gelnica.
      > ( Golnitz / Golnicz / Golniczbanya)
      >
      > I'm researching the names :
      >
      > HLAFKA
      > KACSUR
      > BURCSAK
      > POLANOFSKY
      > HEINRICH
      >
      > as of the moment....if anyone else is reseaching these please drop
      me an
      > email!
      > Thanks
      >
      > Chris

      Don't know you surnames.
      Expect the first 3 surnames were misspelled.
      Are they pre-emigration or post-emigration spellings ?
      Polanofsky is Slovak equivalent of Polish surname Polanowski.
      The devoiced letter w became a f in error.

      Heinrich is a German surname.

      Gelnica (Sv) Gölnicbánya (H) Gollnitz (G) is in okres (district)
      Spis^ská Nová Ves and is located 180 miles ENE of Bratislava.

      Interesting region.
      Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
      Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
      centuries.

      Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
      owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
      Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
      intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1695-1888)
      for Gelnica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; formerly known as Göniczbánya,
      Szepes Megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin with some Hungarian and Slovak.
      film #s
      1739084-1739088

      The LDS-Mormons also filmed the Lutheran parish church records
      (1783-1896)for Gelnica.

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

    • monica wentworth
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
        Looking for Ross, Verdnak or maybe Yorbak-somewhere in the austro-hungarian
        empire-would be late 1800s

      • monica wentworth
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          Does this list support most of the Ukraine/poland/romania or should I
          perhaps look for other lists?

        • Malý
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18, 2004
            Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
            or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Malý <musiced_2003@y...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
              > or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.

              poslucha'c^ka ?

              Depends upon what kind of help you want ?

              S^kapik could be from Senica region of western Slovakia, Austria, or Morav=
              ia, or Hungary.

              Sladicek can be a Czech-Bohemian surname, or a Croatian surname from Bac^ka=
              (Cr)

              Timko- hundreds and hundreds of surname bearers from Hungary, Slovakia, and=

              Czechoslovakia.

              Surname Pipa can be from Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, and when a Sla=
              vic
              surname ends in a vowel (a,e,i,o) it can also be an Italian, Portuguese, or=
              Spanish
              surname.

              You are using a Central European keyboard so expect you want Slovakia.
              What are the first names of the surnames you want to research ?

              Frank K