surnames

  • PopeBela@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi,
      I'm new to this list..I'm researching family from the former Austro-Hungarian
      Empire where my ancestors lived in what is now, Gelnica.
      ( Golnitz / Golnicz / Golniczbanya)

      I'm researching the names :

      HLAFKA
      KACSUR
      BURCSAK
      POLANOFSKY
      HEINRICH

      as of the moment....if anyone else is reseaching these please drop me an
      email!
      Thanks

      Chris

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PopeBela@A... wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I'm new to this list..I'm researching family from the former
        Austro-Hungarian
        > Empire where my ancestors lived in what is now, Gelnica.
        > ( Golnitz / Golnicz / Golniczbanya)
        >
        > I'm researching the names :
        >
        > HLAFKA
        > KACSUR
        > BURCSAK
        > POLANOFSKY
        > HEINRICH
        >
        > as of the moment....if anyone else is reseaching these please drop
        me an
        > email!
        > Thanks
        >
        > Chris

        Don't know you surnames.
        Expect the first 3 surnames were misspelled.
        Are they pre-emigration or post-emigration spellings ?
        Polanofsky is Slovak equivalent of Polish surname Polanowski.
        The devoiced letter w became a f in error.

        Heinrich is a German surname.

        Gelnica (Sv) Gölnicbánya (H) Gollnitz (G) is in okres (district)
        Spis^ská Nová Ves and is located 180 miles ENE of Bratislava.

        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
        owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
        Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
        intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records (1695-1888)
        for Gelnica, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; formerly known as Göniczbánya,
        Szepes Megye (county), Hungary.
        Text in Latin with some Hungarian and Slovak.
        film #s
        1739084-1739088

        The LDS-Mormons also filmed the Lutheran parish church records
        (1783-1896)for Gelnica.

        In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

        In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
        Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
        Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
        Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      • monica wentworth
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          Looking for Ross, Verdnak or maybe Yorbak-somewhere in the austro-hungarian
          empire-would be late 1800s

        • monica wentworth
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            Does this list support most of the Ukraine/poland/romania or should I
            perhaps look for other lists?

          • Malý
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18, 2004
              Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
              or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Malý <musiced_2003@y...> wrote:
                > Does anyone know anything about the surnames Škapík, Sladicek, Timko,
                > or Pipa? Any help would be appreciated.

                poslucha'c^ka ?

                Depends upon what kind of help you want ?

                S^kapik could be from Senica region of western Slovakia, Austria, or Morav=
                ia, or Hungary.

                Sladicek can be a Czech-Bohemian surname, or a Croatian surname from Bac^ka=
                (Cr)

                Timko- hundreds and hundreds of surname bearers from Hungary, Slovakia, and=

                Czechoslovakia.

                Surname Pipa can be from Slovakia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, and when a Sla=
                vic
                surname ends in a vowel (a,e,i,o) it can also be an Italian, Portuguese, or=
                Spanish
                surname.

                You are using a Central European keyboard so expect you want Slovakia.
                What are the first names of the surnames you want to research ?

                Frank K