Internet Searches

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8, 2014
      I just offered this additional information on the Rusyn and Galician forums run by L. Krupnak. I will copy and paste his original writeup (to which I was replying) as a follow-up to this.

      Another obscure Google method is to take advantage of their engines in the different countries, as
      google.ru
      google.com.ua
      google.sk
      google.pl
      google.de
      google.at
      google.hu

      for Russia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland, Germany, Austria, Hungary

      I often find a larger selection and a different selection of results than are presented on our US google site. Then if you must, look for the "English results only" or run the page through
      translate.google.com for a rough idea of what they have to say. It is often good enough to let you quickly know if it is worth further effort to do a better translation or further follow-up.

      Ron

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2014
        I have NOT checked this posting out, but it sounds worth a look. I am in the last days of preparing for a tip to Europe and July in Slovakia. So my best wishes for good searching while I am gone!
        *  *  *  *  *

        Search engines like Google are wonderful for anyone wanting to perform standard searches. Google has an amazing ability to cover the depth and breadth of the internet. It is a major reason why so many people depend upon it. Google also has a real knack for always providing the most popular search results first. What happens, however, if you are looking for something that is not popular, like ancestral records or obscure historic documents?

        http://www.genealogyintime.com/GenealogyResources/Articles/million%20short%20a%20different%20kind%20of%20search%20engine%20page1.html

        Family historians, however, face different challenges in sifting through data which may or may not be of interest in ancestral research. There is now a new search engine, Million Short, that specializes in searching less-common websites which may hold information you are seeking.

        GenealogyInTime has written about it in this article which describes how this search engine works. The video below explains the basic functionality of Million Short. Give it a try!

      • stibila@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 9, 2014

          Using Google for different countries sounds like a great idea. Will try it soon.

          Thanks for the info.

        • Allison
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 9, 2014
            Millionshort helped me find an Obituary! Thank you for sharing.

            On Jun 9, 2014, at 5:18 AM, "stibila@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Using Google for different countries sounds like a great idea. Will try it soon.

            Thanks for the info.

          • lrrykck
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 9, 2014
              Good idea; using google from specific countries...thank you.
                also
              try "deep invisible web".
               You can google it to find out what it is, and if it will help in your  Slovak genealogical research.
              larry
               Rodokmen is a free Slovak genealogy site where you can see Slovak family trees.

              Using Google for different countries sounds like a great idea. Will try it soon.

              Thanks for the info.

            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2014
                Have you ever used Google Earth? With it I was able to take a virtual drive through my ancestral village. I had not been there for a couple of years and with Google Earth I was able to to see what was new. Hromos is only 550 people, so if a village that small was driven through I suspect many more small villages have been also.

                Just to be able to “fly in” with Google Earth you see what the terrain looks like. It can give you an appreciation of where your ancestors lived. Google Earth Download -

              • glucotch@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 10, 2014

                  Thanks. Tried Rodokmen. Had language issues as I don't, speak Slovak or Hungarian. Have an address for genealogy in slovia is saros region. Not sure about that.

                  Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10, 2014
                    Rodokmen has an English option.
                     it actually has 7 lanuages denoted by the countries' flags in the top right corner of the main page.
                     The trees are submitted by users, so they don't have to honor the 100 year rule on privacy. You can see trees that start with contemporary people. You can contact the tree owners and make friends with people in your ancestral village; possibly relatives.
                     lastly, on facebook you can enter your ancestral village into the search engine and it will bring up people there. ..another good way to contact possible relatives.

                    larry

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 10, 2014

                      You’ve offered a great idea.

                      The function you talk about is “Street View” and it is available on both Google Earth and Google Maps.  I mention this because using Google Maps has a couple of advantages over Google Earth.  First of all you do not have to download and install Google Earth in order to view the Street View scenes, since Google Maps can be accessed straight from your browser by typing in maps.google.com.  The other advantage in viewing Street View photos using Google Maps is that it is easier to see which streets have been photographed in Street View.  Not all of the streets in a city or village have been photographed, but the streets that have been photographed will be highlighted in blue when you grab and move the Street View icon with your cursor.  This blue highlighting is available whether you are in Map View or Satellite View and is much more visible. The Street View icon is a little yellow man shaped icon placed in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

                      The Street View photos you are viewing are not necessarily current photos. The age of the photos varies around the globe.  The Street View photos currently available for Paris France, for example, were taken in 2009.  Those in Slovakia are generally from April and May of 2012.  The date the Street View photo was taken appears in the bottom right hand corner of the photo.  In Google Earth your cursor must be on the photo for this date to appear.  Be aware that the Street View photos and the satellite imagery dates are likely to be different.The Street View photos of Kusín, Slovakia, for example, were taken in May 2012, whereas the satellite imagery for that area was taken in August 2013

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 10, 2014
                        Thanks for the lesson on using Google Maps as a means to do the Street View.

                        The best part is knowing which streets have been filmed. I noticed that the Google vehicle took a wrong turn in Hromos (there are only two choices) that went up a street that ended in 150 feet, where as the other street went on for another half mile or more. Thus not filming my relatives house.

                        The date of 2012 is in the right range. Hromos I would say is later because I noticed that work that was being done in 2012 was finished in Google.

                        What can be an interesting exercise in genealogy is to take a Google “walk” through an ancestral village and take notice of the house numbers. Over the years much has been discussed about them. When one sees what the present system is and the kind of house that may have an ancestors house number now,  one realizes that the present numbers may not been on the property of the 1800’s that had that number or the house.

                        If one is fortunate, City Hall will have maps of the village over time and one can find the exact location of ones ancestors.