John Adam Dubravka question

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18, 2014

      Dear John,

      I can't seem to locate your e-mail, so I hope you don't mind me contacting you this way.

      I have a question about online registries for the area regarding the old name of Szelepka near Michalovce.

      I have physical copies for Roman Catholic records from this area that I made years ago.

      I was looking to see if I could find them online as the copier at our FHC leaves much to be desired.

      I was quite surprised to find a registry that is obviously not the original.  I found the birth information that I was seeking, but it is not the same format as the original.  The original actually lists a marriage entry on the page with some of the baptismal entries.  The one online shows absolutely no indication of marriage.  There was only one entry under Budkovce, which is this one that I located.

      So, I decided to search on Dubravka in the catalog and got results:

      Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations for Dúbravka, Michalovce, Slovakia; formerly Dúbravka, Michalovce, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia; and Dubróka, Zemplén, Hungary. Includes indexes. Text in Hungarian and Latin.

      Two film numbers come up:  2439693 and 2439782

      When looking at the registries, I see that these are for Dubravka, Bratislava NOT Dubravka, Michalovce.

      If I were ordering films, I would obviously be ordering the incorrect one, since the page itself has this village listed as the one in Zemplen.

      Do you know if the Roman Catholic films for Dubravka near Michalovce are online for viewing, and if so, just where can I locate them?

      I thank you in advance for your help.

      Barbara

    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2014
        Dubravka / Selepkovce RC records are online. HOWEVER, LDS is confused about whether they are GC or RC in their catalgue listings. You can see the records online.

        In the GC records, there is a span of 20 missing years. These particular 20 years are found in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary, and have been researched for me by Mick Sura.

        Simply check everything shown for Dubravka to determine whether the particuklar records are those that you want. Don't trust the catalogue.
      • genmom4
        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2014
          John,
          Thanks for your reply.  Sorry, I hadn't checked this yahoo account for your reply.

          Do you have the thread for the records on the LDS site?  I am always amazed at how many of these records are indexed.

          I was working with western Slovakia in an area near Bratislava, and realized one day that one of the films I had been accessing disappeared and two Greek Catholic films showed up in an area that was Roman Catholic Films. One would never have known to look for that town in the area where it had been indexed.

          So, I can't help but wonder if there are films hidden somewhere just because they are incorrectly indexed.

          Also, are you suggesting that the Roman Catholic films show up under the Greek Catholic heading?

          Thanks so much for your reply.

          Barbara
        • Robert Pollak
          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2014
            I have run across Evangelical records listed in film  for Roman Catholics.   Perhaps it is because the Evangelicals were a minority in the particular village and the records were kept at the Catholic church.
            I have found the easiest way to find the records for a particular religion is to do a ' Catalog'  search of the village. The records for the various religions in that  village will be listed.

            I had a difficult time finding the Evangelical records for Spisske Podhradie when I selected the Religion before I selected the village.  When I searched the village using 'Catalog',  I found that the records were filed under Levoca, then Spisske Podhradie.  The records were interspersed with Roman Catholic records.

            Bob Pollak

            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2014
              In the case of Dubravka, confusion prevails. The old LDS web site points you to the records.