Where is Pekelnik?

  • patricia.drenten
    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2014

      Please, where is Pekelnik?  Don't know the country.

      Pat Drenten

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2014
        The root word for pekelnik in English is devil. There is a mountain of that name in Slovakia, but no town. But there is one in Poland - Pekelnik ( Polish Piekielnik [p ʲ ɛ'k ɛl'ɲik ʲ]) village in Poland south of the former from Nowy Sacz , today Lesser Poland Voivodeship . http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=hu&u=http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekelnik&prev=/search%3Fq%3DPekelnik%26rlz%3D1C1GGGE___US520US537%26es_sm%3D93

        Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:21 PM
        Subject: [S-R] Where is Pekelnik?

        Please, where is Pekelnik?  Don't know the country.

        Pat Drenten

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2014
          MG Mojher has identified the village. Her's how to find it on a map.

          CURRENT MAP

          To locate places in Europe , especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

        • patricia.drenten
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10, 2014
            Thank you.  I am helping another genealogist and she will be very happy to learn this.
            Pat Drenten
          • patricia.drenten
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2014
              Good Idea!  I've printed this out and will find a place to put it and USE it.  Thank you SO much.
              Pat Drenten
            • ktlrchk
              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2014
                Pekelnik was initially in Slovakia after WWI but was transferred later to Poland.
                CK
              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2014
                  Carl,
                      I looked at some maps. The Austria-Hungarian Empire’s northern border went north to almost Krakow. It was upon the creation of Czechoslovakia after WWI that the territory that Pekelnik was in was given to Poland. It is interesting to see how the present country of Slovakia’s lands have been claimed over the past 1000 years. From 1939 to 1945 there was a Slovak Republic, since it was a creation of Nazi Germany it seems to have been not seen as “for real.”

                  Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:42 AM
                  Subject: Re: [S-R] Where is Pekelnik?

                  Pekelnik was initially in Slovakia after WWI but was transferred later to Poland.

                  CK
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10, 2014

                    Thanks for digging out the location, you carried it far enough for me to get interested, especially when you mentioned it changing between Slovakia/Hungary and Poland. I am just beginning to explore the north side of that border. So far I find the Polish/Lemko people very warm and welcoming.

                    My side of the Tatras is the east side in the Spis along the Sharis border. It was only in 2010 that I first spent any time in the Orava/PL Orawa side west of the Tatras.

                    Piekielnik (PL), Pekelnik (HU/SK)

                    1877 Gazetteer of Hungary,

                    Pekelnik, Arva/Trsztena. Now: Piekielnik, Pol. RCath: SZEPES-1378; Izr: Nameszto – 21. SZEPES in capitals designates the diocese or parish.

                    They are mentioned in “The Slovak-Polish Tatras” , pg 322 & 323

                    Piekielnik is about 20km west of Novy Targ, between Czarny Dunajec (8km) and Jablonka (6km). Before Jablonska was founded in 1566 there was a customs station at that location. The Slovak and Polish languages and customs survived the period of Magyarization and today live peacefully together.

                    “In the Middle Ages two waves of settlements arrived here. The first of these were Slovaks who came here from the south, and were followed by Polish settlers who spread from the north. By the beginning of the 16th century Polish refugees, … arrived here, and after the death of Polish king Boleslaw Chrobri Orawa was annexed to Old Hungary. Is northern region was returned to Poland in the 20th century.” Another book lists teh area as being taken by Austria in 1770, 2 years before the first Partition of Poland.

                    “East of Jablonka is PEKIELNIK (sic) (630m, population 2,100), a village situated on the border between the basins of the Orawska and Nowotarska. Its southern part stretches along the main foad from Jablonka to Nowy Targ (21km away). The village is crossed by a brook beariing the same name, the left tributary of Czarna Orawa. South of the village are peat bogs called by the local people “the patrimony” as the lands were inherited from one generation to another. Interesting plant fossiles and animal remains from ancient periods have been found here. Piekielnik, the same as other villages in the Orawa region originated as late as the 16th century, when Old Hungarian aristocrat Frantise Thurzo, seated in Slovak Orava castle, ordereed the settlement of the area. There are several old wooden buildings preserved in the village and built in a style typical for the region, with what was clled “wyzka” - a room upstairs where coal was stored. Also the Baroque stone statues in the local St. Jakb church are remarkable.”

                    There is a bit more written with photos at

                    http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=383

                    Ron