Stitnik, Roznava

  • patricia.drenten
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 29 2:42 PM

      For military purposes, in which county is this?

    • amiak27
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 29 3:38 PM
        That depends upon who wants to invade at the moment. Otherwise both places are in Slovakia.

        Can you expand upon your question?

        Ron
      • patricia.drenten
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 29 7:56 PM
          About 1880 and sorry, I am looking for the county, not the country.  For military purposes, Roznava and Slovakia are not listed as counties.
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 29 11:19 PM
            Sorry about reading country instead of county.  That is similar to church confusion between celibate and celebrate, but that is a topic for another forum.

            A Google search reveals that Roznava is (Hungarian: Rozsnyó), and another search reveals that was in the country Gömör-Kishont, Hungary.  Similarly Štítnik is a village and municipality in the Rožňava District in the Košice Region of middle-eastern Slovakia/  The village is situated in the historical region of Gemer. It is located about 14 kilometers from Rožňava.

            Now I am not sure how knowing the county will help you with military matters, be it draft, recruitment of gendarme.

            However, I can recommend  looking at or reading
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html

            which has a map of the five military districts that Hungary was divided into. Further down the same page is an image with the recruiting districts in Hungary, and a listing for Gomor, which is what I presume you are looking for.

            Roznava is about 60km (40 miles_ west of Kosice, the largest town in Eastern Slovakia today, also known as Kassa in the Hungarian days.

            I hope this helps you.

            Ron

            Finally, one last map of military districts, but it is in German.
            http://www.krausehouse.ca/krause/images/MilitaryDistricts.jpg
          • lacox777
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 29 11:22 PM
              In 1880 you have to use the Hungarian names, sometimes in miltary purposes even the German names.
              The Hungarian names are Roznava=Rozsnyo Stitnik=Csetnek.
              By county you mean zupa (or megye in Hungarian) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDupa ? Then both towns belonged to Gemerska zupa=Gomor megye.

              Ladislav
              From: <patricia.drenten@...>
              Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              Date: 29 Apr 2014 19:56:06 -0700
              To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [S-R] Re: Stitnik, Roznava

              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 30 3:10 AM
                This has been a big help.  Am trying to learn if my grand-father, Jan Hrusovsky, born 1880 or 1881, was b. while his parents were away with the military and not their village of Stitnik.  Thank you, everyone!
              • ktlrchk
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 30 7:34 AM
                  Patricia,
                  My grandfather was also born in Stitnik which was called Csetnek back when it was part of Hungary.  Your last message is not completely clear to me but if you are looking for Jan's father's military records he would have been in Infantry Regiment # 25 or if he was in the Cavalry, Hussar Regiment 6.  If you are thinking that Jan's baptism record might be in the Militärkirchenbücher, if his father was in the army, it is possible that his baptism record might be in the church books for those regiments.  However, my experience with the church books has been that they mainly contain only the records for officers and not the enlisted men.  The reason for this is that enlisted men were not permitted to get married while they were on their initial active duty.  They could  get married after that tour of duty but unless there was a war going on, they would have been furloughed back to their home village.  So, baptism records for their children would be in the village church records.  Stitnik has both a Roman Catholic Church and a Lutheran Church.  What religion was your family?
                  One other thing, the personnel records for Hungarian soldiers who served after 1867 have been lost or destroyed.  Only officer personnel records are available for Hungarian soldiers.
                  Here is a link to a website that will explain how to research AH military records and what is available.
                  http://ahmilitary.blogspot.com
                  CK
                • ktlrchk
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 30 8:57 AM
                    Patricia,
                    A couple more questions if I may.  What were the names of Jan's parents?  Do you know what year his father was born?  And finally, why do you think he was in the army?
                    CK
                  • patricia.drenten
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                      I am not sure if Stefanus Hrusovsky, b 1852 and Maria Kundrak, b 1859 are my grandfather's parents.  My uncle, now deceased had been writing Slovakian priests all over Slovakia and particularly Mysla and Misla.  He received responses  stating Jan Hrusovsky, b. 26 Jul 1880 or 1881 could not be found.  We believe he and his wife, Maria Mesaros, b. 1879 in Klenov, were were RC.  My uncle had "fit Jan in" this family as it was the only Stefan and Maria he could find in those days.  Now I am using my computer since my uncle is dead, and can get no farther.  If my uncle was correct (and he may not be), since we could not find him in Stitnik records, perhaps his "parents" were in the military and Jan was born in Hungary.  We/I do not know where he was born, who his parents are and who are his siblings - nothing.  Jan Hrusovsky and Maria Mesaros left Slovakia separately in 1903 and were married in that year in Donora Pennsylvania, then moved to Joliet, Will County Illinois.  I have been to Slovakia 3 times and can find nothing so I need help.  Jan did give the names of his parents, Stephanus and Maria Hrusovsky, and that is all except for those villages I mentioned, and they know nothing of him.  Perhaps HE was Evangelical.  Their children were baptized in the Joliet RC church.
                      Can you help in any way, please?  I am almost 79 and my clock is ticking.
                      Their information is in Ancestry in the Preston British Canadian Family Tree.
                      Thank you for your help.
                      Sincerely,
                      Pat Drenten
                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                        I used the LDS search engine for birth records and came up with one possibility that misses the mark on several points. 15 years off for birth. Mother's name close but not a match.
                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V1C3-T25

                        I love a challenge. More work later  .  .  .

                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                          Here is a reasonable match on Ellis Island as to dates. Do you have better data?
                          Hrusovsky, Jan Rozvar 24 1879 1903

                        • Julie Michutka

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                              >>> I am not sure if Stefanus Hrusovsky, b 1852 and Maria Kundrak, b 1859 are my grandfather's parents <<<

                              At least it's a place to start a journey through some church records.

                              Thier marriage record, 6 Nov 1876, is found at:
                              page 115/456.

                              Hrusovszky, age 25, RC, lived at Stitnik 120.
                              Kundrak, age 26, Evangelical, born in Diosgyor, Borsod Megye. Diosgyor is just west of Miskolcz, Hungary. The two villages were joined by both road and rail.

                              There is a marriage record comment in Hungarian which may shed some additional light on why she moved north.

                              Dau Maria. b 9 July 1877,  Latin comment in right column.
                              page 275/384.

                              Son Paul born 12 Dec 1879, with comment in right column.
                              page 292/384.

                              No sign of Jan born in 1880 or 1881.

                            • Julie Michutka
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                                Looks like it's saying something about the godparents: Ter p[???]tes quam patrini [???]tes. Skimming more pages before and after for similar comments might help decipher the handwriting.

                                ~ Julie Michutka

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                                  I will send for a copy of their citizenship papers.  Thanks!

                                  Pat Drenten
                                • patricia.drenten
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 4, 2014
                                    There is a saying in America:  If you want a volunteer to work for you, ask a busy person.

                                    And I, too, love a challange, but this has been too much, for too long.

                                    My grandfather put on one document that he was born in Miskolc or Misla.  Perhaps the Miskolc in Hungary?  Jan's mother was born in Dios-Gyor, Hungary.

                                    Thank you very, very, much.  Keep working.

                                    Pat Drenten
                                  • johnqadam
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 5, 2014
                                      >>> My grandfather put on one document that he was born in Miskolc or Misla.  Perhaps the Miskolc in Hungary?  Jan's mother was born in Dios-Gyor, Hungary. <<<

                                      Diosgyor is a part of Miskolc city. That makes perfect sense. Under the circumstances, a Hungarian board might be able to offer more help. RC and Evangelical church records are available on film at LDS.
                                    • patricia.drenten
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 5, 2014
                                        What is "a Hungarian board" please?
                                        Pat Drenten
                                      • johnqadam
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 6, 2014
                                          Hungary Genealogy Forum

                                        • patricia.drenten
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 7, 2014
                                            Lexy, yes, I would like your help,
                                            I found a note my uncle had made before he died, and he believes his father Jan Hrusovsky's birth would be 24 or 26 June 1881 or 1883.  Jan's father was probably Roman Catholic and his mother, from Dios-Gyor was Evangelical and it is possible Jan may have been born in Miskolc. The rest of his information can be found in the other postings.
                                            I have found that "his brother Pal" had sailed twice to Jan's American location twice, from Csetnik in 1901 and 1903.
                                            I hope that you will find something about my grandfather Jan..
                                            Let me know how I can pay you without the bank keeping too much.  I will be in England Jul 20-Aug 25.
                                            Go ahead, please, Lexy.
                                            Pat Drenten  .
                                          • patricia.drenten
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 7, 2014
                                              Thank you.  I wish I knew what it said.
                                              Pat Drenten
                                            • patricia.drenten
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 7, 2014
                                                6 Nov 1876 was the date we had for their marriage in Stitnic.  Perhaps they married also in the RC church there.
                                                Thank you very much for all that information.
                                                Pat Drenten
                                              • patricia.drenten
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 8, 2014
                                                  Your grandfather born in Stitnik, what is his name, please?
                                                  Pat Drenten