Pennsylvania Death Certificates Available

  • bassfantastic
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21, 2014
      You can search for PA Death Certificates from 1906 - 1924 right now on Ancestry.com.  It's free if you are a resident of Pennsylvania.  Other years will be coming in the next few months.  You can read about it here: http://www.gripitt.org/?p=1385   Thanks to my friend Judy Hogel for notifying me.
    • Lance and Andrea Batchelder
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 21, 2014
        Great info!  Thanks for sharing!

        Andrea

        You can search for PA Death Certificates from 1906 - 1924 right now on Ancestry.com.  It's free if you are a resident of Pennsylvania.  Other years will be coming in the next few months.  You can read about it here: http://www.gripitt.org/?p=1385   Thanks to my friend Judy Hogel for notifying me.

      • Tom Potsko
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21, 2014
          1906-24 death certificates – April 2014
          1925-44 death certificates – June 2014
          1945-63 death certificates – November 2014
          1906 birth certificates – March 2015

          This is the schedule, Tom

          On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM, <breny@...> wrote:

          You can search for PA Death Certificates from 1906 - 1924 right now on Ancestry.com.  It's free if you are a resident of Pennsylvania.  Other years will be coming in the next few months.  You can read about it here: http://www.gripitt.org/?p=1385   Thanks to my friend Judy Hogel for notifying me.

        • Prabich
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
            Do you have to be a resident of PA to research the PA Death Certificates?  My great grandfather died in PA in a mining accident around Clarion, Pa.  I don't know the exact year.
            Could you contact me via email - Prabich@...?
            Thanks loads,
            Pat Rabich Benetis
          • hogelj
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
              The original notice about the death certificates said that they would be free to PA residents, but since these are available on Ancestry, I don't see how they could put that restriction on access to the records. Perhaps someone in the group who is not a PA resident and has an Ancestry account, could give it a try and let the group know if they can access the info.  I've used the PA death certificate database/images on Ancestry, but I am a PA resident so my access wouldn't be a good test.
            • John C
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
                You can get the information from PA Department of Health public records site.

                Death Records (1906-1963):
                http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1085804&mode=2

                Birth Records (1906-1908):
                http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1086145&mode=2

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014

                    Although it was my understanding that the death records available through the PA portal would be images of the actual death certificates, when I went there just now using John C's link, it seems like that is just an index requiring lots of visual scanning and not enough identifying information to be sure you've found your person.  Perhaps I a missing something that would take you to certificate images.

                    However, the Ancestry PA death records 1906-1924, not only are indexed, but an image of the actual death certificate is available.  So the Ancestry records will in most cases provide you with some, if not all of the following:  address, birth date, birthplace, mother & father name and birthplace, cause of death, length of illness, burial date and place, undertaker, occupation...a real treasure trove once you've found your person.

                  • Sandra & John Panzitta
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
                      Sounds like you are on the Pennsylvania State Health Department web site.  They have the indexes for the public death and birth certificates.

                      Here’s the link to the PA State Archives: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/state_archives/2887

                      I clicked on the Ancestry link (in the middle box) and because I have an Ancestry account, it automatically logged me in so I can’t tell what to do from there.  I do know you must register and use a PA zip code (try mine - 18643).  If that doesn’t work, just let me know your ancestor’s name/approximate date of birth/and place of death and I’ll do a search.

                      Good luck,
                      Sandra

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
                        The link for the PA Portal is an index of records for each year.  If you don't know the year, you have to search many until you find the death.  Also, this link only give your minimal information such as name, where they died, date of death and an index number.  It is not the actual birth record.   However, if you do find it there, you can take that index and find the actual birth record on Ancestry.com.  I do believe anyone with a paid membership regardless of where they live will be able to access the pa death certificates (you may need a world membership if you are outside the United States.  If you live in Pennsylvania you do not need an ancestry.com membership at all.

                        If someone wants me to look up one for you between 1906 & 1924 I will.  Send me as much information as you have.  Such as first/last name, name of parents, date of death, date of birth.  If you do happen to look at the PA portal link and find a listing with an index number, please give me that and the year.  Send requests to thebrenda@... so as not to spam this group.

                        Brenda

                      • amiak27
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
                          Well, thank you all for the links and the hints. I believe I have the death certificate for our family "mystery man", a grandfather who died young, shortly after my mother was born. We had the marriage certificate but no firm date or place of death, and still no photo. Grandma remarried and the step grandfather is the only one we ever knew.

                          It didn't help that the one spelling my mother knew was not the old spelling, so we looked for Vallo instead of Valyo. Then we knew it was about the time of the 1918 flu epidemic, and likely in the vicinity of Pittsburgh, which is quite a confusing place for non-Pittsburgians with your hills, roads and 100 varieties of city parts and suburbs blending into confusion for us outsiders.

                          The question came up on how to proceed once linked to Ancestry.

                          To consolidate the references in order posted,
                          From Breny:  You can read about it here: http://www.gripitt.org/?p=1385
                          From John:
                          Death Records (1906-1963):
                          http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1085804&mode=2

                          Birth Records (1906-1908):
                          http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1086145&mode=2

                          That took me to searches for 1918, 1917 and finally 1916 deaths. I found 1 suspect in 1917 and 3 suspects in 1916, one from Butler, which is in the right area.

                          I followed David's suggestion and used 16501 Zip code for Erie, PA.
                          Filling in the bottom of the form at
                          http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/research_topics/3162/ancestry_com_pennsylvania/1575348

                          took me to
                          http://collections.ancestry.com/search/PA/StateArchives?o_xid=56827&o_lid=56827&o_sch=Library%2fAssoc.
                          after I entered Ancestry using a very old 'guest membership' from the years when they would offer free access for 2 weeks around Christmas or other time. Filling in the information again, it took me to the death certificate on Ancestry. It had places for all the information Hogel mentioned in his/her post.

                          There I tried several ways of saving the image before I read the screen and saw the orange button in the upper right "save".

                          I hope that adds to the information already provided. Thanks to all, and good luck to fellow searchers!  Now to double check and cross check it all....

                          Ron
                        • bassfantastic
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 22, 2014
                            Yeah!!  So glad you found it Ron.
                          • Casperveth
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 23, 2014
                              I have been accessing the PA Death certificates for the past several nights and have found it to be an absolute gold mine!  My wife's family is from Luzerne County and I discovered previously unfound details on dozens of ancestors.  I am from NJ and did not find any restrictions relating to non-PA residents.
                              Ray Veth - Middletown, NJ

                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 24, 2014
                                I have also been using the PA death certificates with great success but I want to also tell you the search tool on ancestry is not perfect.  I didn't have a death date for my grandfather's half brother Andrew Hudak.  I "found" him on the PA DOH index as Andrew Hudak but had put off sending for his certificate.  So was so happy to see that I could now get it free.   I put his name in ancestry as it was indexed on the PA DOH site and NO MATCH?????   Even using the "broad" search.  He is indexed on ancestry as Andy Hodok.    So if you can't' find someone see if you can find them on the PA DOH site and then use the file number on ancestry to find them.

                                Joanne

                              • michaelg127
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 24, 2014
                                  Although I haven't lived in Pittsburgh for many years, having been born and raised there, I concur with your comments about the terrain and confusing traffic patterns, but you forgot one HUGE  problem: the worst system of road signage in the country.
                                  Mike Koschik
                                  PS  It's Pittsburghers