Lousy handwriting

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2014
      I have found what may be the birth record for my g-grandmother Elizabeth Brestovics on familysearch.org.  It makes sense. From everything I've found out, Elizabeth was born between 1848 and 1850 near (then) Also Mislye, now Nizna Mysla.  She lived in that village from about 1868 until 1906, when she left for the US after the death of her husband Josef Beganyi.

      The record is at
      Slovakia>>Church and Synagogue Books>>Roman Catholic>>Kosice>>Krasna nad Hornadom>>Image 424 of 671  in the upper left.

      The problem is that the handwriting is so poor that I'm at a loss to figure out some of it.  Does anyone have properly calibrated eyes to read some of this record?  What I think I read is below, though I'm not sure whether some of it is wishful thinking. Some is also from looking at nearby records.

      Col. 1 - Dec 8 (maybe 5)
      Col. 2 - Szyarski Janos pleb
      Col. 3 - Erszfiles (perhaps variant of Erzebet?)
      Col. 4 - Brescovic Gyg  Toth Mar. (Maria?)
      Col. 5 - Rk
      Col. 6 - zeller gariz
      Col. 7 - Mura Janos Kris Kzas (what name might this be?)
      Col. 8 - Szedlak (plus 2nd unidentifiable word)
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2014
        I would say that you did a pretty good job and the given name is Erzsebet.

        page 424/671.
      • curtbocha
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2014

          Robert,

          Your note:What I think I read is below, though I'm not sure whether some of it is wishful thinking. Some is also from looking at nearby records.

          I think you got most of it.

          Col. 1 Dec. 8

          col 2  xxx pleb[anus] = pastor

          col 3  Erszebet

          col 6 telkes gazda = small landowner

          col 7 sponsors including Kat[arina] Kriz

          CurtB

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 23, 2014
            Column 8 titled "Lakhelyok" means Locus or residence.
            First word is either Szilvas or Szeplak - I would go with Szeplak.
            Second word is unintelligible, however if you check here:
            http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysne_Opatske_Kosice_KI_AbaujTorna_AbovTurna.html
            and read the old names of the villages of Vyšné Opátske
            you will soon find some results.
            Szeplak was the old name for Krasna
            The second word should name the original residence of the mother. The entry for May 16/August 29/2 Oct on the previous page has a similar form and clearer writing.
            I read: Hosszuszer or similar. Cisarik shows "Hosszúrendszerszéplak" and "Hosszúszéplak"
            As this place was also another name for Krasna, she came from the same locality as the husband.

            Good luck,

            Peter M.