Giratora

  • drsplash60
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 16, 2014
      Is anyone familiar with the city of Giratora, it's my great grand mother's birth place in 1849. Her name that I know is Rakes, Mary.
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 16, 2014
        Mary,
            My road atlas has not listing for Giratora. The closest to it is Giraltovce and Girovce.

        The names Giraltovce has been known by are:
         Giraltovce SK/PV  šariš.
        1773 Giralth, Giraltowcze, 1786 Giralt, Giraltowce, 1808 Giráld, Gyráltowce, 18631913 Girált, 1920– Giraltovce
        The list of the top 100 surnames in Giraltovce had nothing close to Rakes.

        The names Girovce has been known by are:
         Girovce VT/PV  zemplín.
        1773 Girocz, Gyrowcze, 1786 Girócz, 1808 Girócz, Gyrowce, Girüwczi, 18631902 Giróc, 19071913 Gerlefalva, 1920– Girovce
        The #1 surname in Girovce is Revak. Not your Rakes. If the surname Revak was changed who knows what the original might have been.

        Ellis Island had only 6 listings for Rakes. They came from Budapest, Hungary, Norway and Wales. A somewhat “universal” surname.

        Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 12:21 PM
        Subject: [S-R] Giratora

        Is anyone familiar with the city of Giratora, it's my great grand mother's birth place in 1849. Her name that I know is Rakes, Mary.

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16, 2014
          I checked Ellis Island several different ways. No luck.
          I also struck out on Mary, DOB 1849, in the village that MAY have had a chance: Gerlachó (Geraltov)
        • ktlrchk
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
            What was her first name?  Did she immigrate and if so do you know when?  Where and when did she get married?  What was her married name and what was her husband's name?
          • Tim Day
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
              I will get more information, be back soon.

              On Monday, February 17, 2014 9:17 AM, "carl.kotlarchik@..." <carl.kotlarchik@...> wrote:

              What was her first name?  Did she immigrate and if so do you know when?  Where and when did she get married?  What was her married name and what was her husband's name?

            • Michele Horaney
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
                Hang in there, Mary. I went round and round with information on my paternal side
                for YEARS before a "chance" find by a friend in records that weren't yet transcribed
                led to the breakthrough I needed.  You will get the "break" you need, and letting us all know and having
                so many of us digging will get you to the info you need.

                --
                MICHELE M. HORANEY  APR

                THOUGHT LEADER PUBLIC RELATIONS
                Dedicated to Issues, Ideas and Authors
                34 Oak Park Drive  Alameda, CA 94502
                Primary Phone: 510.864.4120  [Mobile: 650.787.7441]

                 www.linkedin.com/in/michelehoraney

              • Tim Day

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
                    Now we are cookin'. We have everything except their religion. We will try to figure that out.
                    Come back in a few hours. It's soon time for dinner at our house.
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014
                      Here's a start on the quest for knowledge.

                      >>> John RAKOS 1824 Lascov, & Maria HOMULKA 1830 Lopuchova <<<

                      OLD NAMES of the village(town):  north of Giraltovce
                      1773 Laszcző, Lasczow, 1786 Laszczó, 1808 Lasczó, Laszczó, Lascow, 1863, 1888–1895 Laszcó, 1873–1882 Laszco, 1898–1902 Lászcó, 1907–1913 Lászó, 1920 Lascov, Lastovice, 1927– Lascov

                      1869 Hungarian Census

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28476-14479-17?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CCS:617905851

                      71 pages

                      RC Church Records

                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-HHM%3An964507595%3Fcc%3D1554443

                      OLD NAMES of the village(town):
                      1773 Lappos, Lopuchow, 1786 Lapposch, Lopuchow, 1808 Lapos, Laposfalva, Lopuchow, 1863–1913 Lapos, 1920 Lopúchov, Lopuchovo, 1927–1948 Lopuchov, 1948– Lopúchov

                      HOMULKA surname appears there.

                      1869 Hungarian Census

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28480-9285-34?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CCM:73496233

                      99 pages

                      Evangelical Chrch records

                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-7PR%3An515364674%3Fcc%3D1554443

                      >>> Zuzi HILBOKI 1826 Giraltovoce & Juraji RAKOS 1789 unknown birth place.<<<

                      1869 Hungarian Census

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28477-18151-3?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HVR:1611162656

                      211 pages. Misfiled under Zemplen Megye = county.

                      Evangelical Chrch records

                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-7PG%3A1471920421%3Fcc%3D1554443

                    • johnqadam
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 17, 2014

                        >>> John RAKOS 1824 Lascov, & Maria HOMULKA [1830] Lopuchova <<<

                        Lascov: OLD NAMES of the village
                        1773 Laszcző, Lasczow, 1786 Laszczó, 1808 Lasczó, Laszczó, Lascow, 1863, 1888–1895 Laszcó, 1873–1882 Laszco, 1898–1902 Lászcó, 1907–1913 Lászó, 1920 Lascov, Lastovice, 1927– Lascov

                        Surnames do not appear in 1869 Hungarian Census

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28476-14479-17?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CCS:617905851

                        71 pages

                        RC Church Records

                        https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-HHM%3An964507595%3Fcc%3D1554443

                        RAKOS birth not found in RC records because they start in 1840.

                        In case he was Evangelical, the curch reords are found under Marhan. Birth not found in 1824 but sharper eyes might want to have a look at:

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11588-30723-83?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-439:368914793

                        page 99/659

                        Lopuchov: OLD NAMES of the village
                        1773 Lappos, Lopuchow, 1786 Lapposch, Lopuchow, 1808 Lapos, Laposfalva, Lopuchow, 1863–1913 Lapos, 1920 Lopúchov, Lopuchovo, 1927–1948 Lopuchov, 1948– Lopúchov

                        HOMULKA surname appears there.

                        1869 Hungarian Census

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28480-9285-34?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CCM:73496233

                        99 pages

                        Homulka EV page 5, 17, 44, 91

                        Hliboki EV page 15, 62, 64,

                        Evangelical Chrch records

                        https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-7PR%3An515364674%3Fcc%3D1554443

                        page 58/86

                        Maria HOMULKA born 8 Jun 1829

                        Rakos-Homulka marriage not found in church records.

                        >>> Zuzi [HILBOKI] 1826 Giraltovoce & Juraji RAKOS 1789 unknown birth place.<<<

                        1869 Hungarian Census

                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28477-18151-3?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HVR:1611162656

                        211 pages. Misfiled under Zemplen Megye = county.

                        HLIBOKI EV page 65,

                        Evangelical Church records

                        https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-7PG%3A1471920421%3Fcc%3D1554443

                        Online records start in 1828. No earlier years.