Re: [S-R] Daniels/Futej

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2001
      At 07:30 PM 5/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >Am seeking info on John DANIELS b. approx 1875 in Slovak. We believe that he
      >came to the states approx 1900. We are not sure if he met Barbara FUTEJ
      >(born in Slovak approx 1877) on the trip over here or in NY/NJ. Their first
      >born son is John Daniels born in New York approx 1902. (He is listed in the
      >1920 census as being 18). I have some info on the younger children.... but
      >have been unable to find anything on the older ones. Both Barbara and John
      >are buried in Milford, CT.

      Have you tried the EI database? http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/default.asp

      John

    • Hrtswhspr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2001
        yes I have ..... have not located exact match yet....... close ones for FUTEJ
        but none for John DANIELS..... but am working on that.

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2001
          At 11:53 AM 5/23/01 -0400, you wrote:
          >yes I have ..... have not located exact match yet....... close ones for FUTEJ
          >but none for John DANIELS..... but am working on that.

          Any luck with US church, naturalization, NARA, etc. records? Because of
          the large number of Daniels, I tried changing ethnicity to Magyar. That
          was a couple of days ago. As I recall it kicked up about 3 names. None of
          them seemed to fit your needs but home village and destination, if
          available, might be useful to tie into Futej or as a possible home
          village. Too bad it isn't just Tej. I have several in my tree who are
          from NE Slovakia. Have you tried the online Slovak directory? I found a
          couple of Futej in Bratislava and a Futejova in Velky Saris. I found a
          Danielsz and a Daniel-Szabo in Kosice and various other spellings in
          Bratislava. All you need is the first 3 letters of the surname and first
          three of a town to do the searching. There seemed to be a lot of Daniel in
          the towns. You can reduce the number of returns by using Danie but still
          get close matches. I wonder if the name wasn't Danielsz, which may be a
          version of Daniel-Szabo. Good luck.

          John