Trencin Area

  • sq163
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31 4:38 AM
      Good Morning All,
      I am researching my paternal grandmothers' family who came are from the Trencin area and last name of Motola, Matola, or Kebiscek.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • Sue Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31 5:31 AM

        What religion is your family?

        Sue

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31 7:51 AM

          Dear SQ163,

          Along with Sue's question, we need more info. When did they immigrate, age at that time.

          The names below could be the names.  do you have any local records social security records, death records, cemetery stone info etc. showing their first names.

          That info is only a start and might give you info from the area.

          Vilo
          (Male version of the name)
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/kubicek/slovensko/
          (Female version of the name)
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Kubickova/slovensko/

          (Male version of the name)
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Matula/slovensko/
          (Female version of the name)
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/motolova/slovensko/

          (Male version of the name)
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/motola/slovensko/

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31 8:38 AM
            From the Slovak 1995 Census: The list of locations has been edited to these. The census had found 167 Kebisek in 19 locations. A majority are found in okre/district Trencin. The last listed is in the obec/city of Trencin.
            Priezvisko KEBÍSEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 167×, celkový počet lokalít: 19, v lokalitách:
            HORNÉ SRNIE,  okr. TRENČÍN – 83×;
            DUBNICA NAD VÁHOM,  okr. POVAŽSKÁ BYSTRICA (od  r. 1996 ILAVA) – 22×;
            TRENČÍN,  okr. TRENČÍN – 22×;
            NEMŠOVÁ,  okr. TRENČÍN – 7×;
            ZLATOVCE (obec
            TRENČÍN),  okr. TRENČÍN
             – 4×;

            Here are the finds for Motola. Notice that Kebisek and Motola are found together in three locations. You obviously need more information to narrow the search.
            Priezvisko MOTOLA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 74×, celkový počet lokalít: 20, v lokalitách:
            KOČOVCE,  okr. TRENČÍN (od  r. 1996 NOVÉ MESTO NAD VÁHOM) – 12×;
            TRENČÍN,  okr. TRENČÍN – 11×;
            ĽUBORČA (obec
            NEMŠOVÁ),  okr. TRENČÍN – 10×;
            NEMŠOVÁ,  okr. TRENČÍN – 9×;
            ZLATOVCE (obec
            TRENČÍN),  okr. TRENČÍN
             – 5×;

            There are 11 listings for Matola in 4 locations, but they are all in far eastern Slovakia. Motola appears to be the spelling for you.

            I am researching my paternal grandmothers' family who came are from the Trencin area and last name of Motola, Matola, or Kebiscek.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
          • htcstech

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2014
                My grandmother (Motola/Matola) and her mother, (nee Kebisck or Kebiscek) came to NY via ship in 1912 to rejoin father/husband.  Roman Catholic.  Hope this helps.

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2014
                  Do you have given names for grandmother and great grandmother?
                  “One Step” search of Ellis Island has 106 listings for Motola, there are only a couple that were from Hungary in 1912. There were only 56 Matola listings. No listings for Kebisck and Kebiscek. Under “Sound Like” there were 13500 listings.
                  Unless you have something on paper the 1912 date is “hearsay”, which many of us have found in our searches can be incorrect by several years.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014
                    For Kebisck or Kebiscek or Motola the first name is Eva, born around 1882 (great grandmother) and for her daughter and my grandmother Catherine or Katerina born about 1908 sailing from Rotterdam to New York reportedly in 1912.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 4, 2014
                      Went to Ellis Island records. There were no listings for Kebisck and Kebiscek. A list of alternative spellings, some 20 long, is given to search.
                      Motola had a hit for an Eva on line #4

                      You will see a village listed, some searching found this:
                      V obci HORNÉ SRNIE (okr. TRENČÍN) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najčastejšie tieto priezviská: KEBÍSKOVÁ 94×; KEBÍSEK 83×
                      The obci/city Horne Srnie (in the okre/district of Trencin) in the 1995 Census had listings for: 94 females named Kebiskova and 83 men named Kebisek. In Horne Srnie Kebiskova was the #1 surname and Kebisek #3.

                      It appears you may have a lot of relatives on your grandmother’s side living in Slovakia.

                      Horne Srnie has been known by these names:
                       Horné Srnie TN/TC  trenč.
                      1773 Szrnye, Srnye, 1786 Srnye, 1808 Trencsén-Szrnye, Trenčánské Srní, Trenčánské Srnjé, 18631873 Trencsénszrnje, 18771882 Trencsénszrnye, Felsőszrnye, 18881902 Felsőszrnye, 19071913 Felsőszernye, 1920– Horné Srnie

                      http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Srnie_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html This link will take you to a page on Horne Srnie. It lists the town’s surnames individually from a 2005 telephone directory. There is also a map.