TEST POSTING

  • William Kollar
    Message 1 of 11 , May 22, 2001
      I have seen this happen to others and now low and behold I have not received any
      messages for approx 10 days or so. Is the list still up and running?

      Ever Wonder ?

      __ bill kollar
    • Eric Haas
      Message 2 of 11 , May 22, 2001
        Tuesday, May 22, 2001, 5:07:34 PM, you wrote:

        WK> I have seen this happen to others and now low and behold I have not received any
        WK> messages for approx 10 days or so. Is the list still up and running?

        I received 5 messages from this group on the 16th, none on the 17th or
        18th, one on the 19th and, then none again until yours today (22nd).
      • Jffulton8@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 22, 2001
          Hello-
          I received this email today. I am new to the Slovak-Roots group. Is there a
          problem with receiving messages from the list?
          Joanne

          In a message dated 5/22/01 4:13:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
          wkollar@... writes:

          > I have seen this happen to others and now low and behold I have not received
          > any
          > messages for approx 10 days or so. Is the list still up and running?

          > Ever Wonder ?

        • sue mcelroy
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2001
            I also have not received any messages. Is there something I need to do, to
            begin getting messages

            >From: Eric Haas <erichaas@...>
            >To: William Kollar <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [S-R] TEST POSTING
            >Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:18:23 -0400
            >

            >Tuesday, May 22, 2001, 5:07:34 PM, you wrote:
            >
            >WK> I have seen this happen to others and now low and behold I have not
            >received any
            >WK> messages for approx 10 days or so. Is the list still up and running?
            >
            >I received 5 messages from this group on the 16th, none on the 17th or
            >18th, one on the 19th and, then none again until yours today (22nd).

          • Deidre Heindl
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22, 2001
              I am trying to respond...

                Message 7 of 11 , May 22, 2001
                  I was glad to receive the inquiry of William Kollar. I was wondering the same thing. I am new to this group. I am trying to find the roots of John Misura who came to this country in the early 1900s. I have been told by my Aunt, his daughter, that he was born in Orava (in Galicia ?). Does anyone know of such a place?

                  Thank you,

                  Sandra Wynn Park

                • John
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 22, 2001
                    At 12:26 AM 5/23/01 -0400, you wrote:
                    >I was glad to receive the inquiry of William Kollar. I was wondering the
                    >same thing. I am new to this group. I am trying to find the roots of
                    >John Misura who came to this country in the early 1900s. I have been told
                    >by my Aunt, his daughter, that he was born in Orava (in Galicia ?). Does
                    >anyone know of such a place?

                    Galacia was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire. It was mostly located in
                    what is now southeast Poland and western Ukraine. Borders have changed
                    since then. I believe there are two Oravas in Ukraine. Both are near the
                    Polish and Slovak borders. One of these Oravas is probably the one you're
                    looking for. Try using Mapquest to pinpoint the locations.

                    http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_find?link=btwn/twn-map_form&event=no_map

                    John

                  • frankur@att.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 23, 2001
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
                      > I was glad to receive the inquiry of William Kollar. I was
                      wondering the same thing. I am new to this group. I am trying to
                      find the roots of John Misura who came to this country in the early
                      1900s. I have been told by my Aunt, his daughter, that he was born in
                      Orava (in Galicia ?). Does anyone know of such a place?

                      > Thank you,
                      >
                      > Sandra Wynn Park

                      A) Orava ? Town ?

                      Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
                      Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
                      Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
                      Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus' Halicka (Polish).

                      In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
                      Poland).
                      After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
                      became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
                      Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
                      western Ukraine.
                      Orava (Oryava) and Orava (Vorove) UK

                      B) Orava ? Region or county ?

                      A'rava Megye (county) was a old Hungarian county located in
                      Upper-Hungary(Slovakia) across the border from Polish Galicia.
                      After 1920 and pre-1923 it was a Slovak z^upa (county) named Orava.

                      Frank Kurcina
                    • Alan ANTOSKA
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 23, 2001
                        I think everyone has been busy at the EI site.

                        Here is an old map for Avar (Orava in today's SR) county
                        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/arva.jpg

                        =====
                        May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
                        Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

                        Alan

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                      • petrovi@nsppresov.sk
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 24, 2001
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., frankur@a... wrote:
                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
                          > > I was glad to receive the inquiry of William Kollar. I was
                          > wondering the same thing. I am new to this group. I am trying to
                          > find the roots of John Misura who came to this country in the early
                          > 1900s. I have been told by my Aunt, his daughter, that he was born
                          in
                          > Orava (in Galicia ?). Does anyone know of such a place?
                          > >
                          > > Thank you,
                          > >
                          > > Sandra Wynn Park
                          >
                          > A) Orava ? Town ?
                          >
                          > Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-
                          Hungarian
                          > Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
                          > Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
                          > Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus' Halicka (Polish).
                          >
                          > In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
                          > Poland).
                          > After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East
                          Galicia
                          > became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
                          > Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
                          > western Ukraine.
                          > Orava (Oryava) and Orava (Vorove) UK
                          >
                          > B) Orava ? Region or county ?
                          >
                          > A'rava Megye (county) was a old Hungarian county located in
                          > Upper-Hungary(Slovakia) across the border from Polish Galicia.
                          > After 1920 and pre-1923 it was a Slovak z^upa (county) named Orava.

                          > Frank Kurcina

                          That region in nothern part of Slovakia is still called Orava.

                          Imrich