[S-R] Re: Surname Seykota

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., jesenka01@y... wrote:
      > Thanks for all your help! Is there a way to find out what Rudoph and
      > Aniela Seykota's children's names were or what family Aniela married
      > into? Neither of them seem to be listed in the death index, probably
      > because they didn't have social security numbers.
      >
      > I have seen my name spelled Sekota, which could be a closer match
      > than Sykora. It could have started out as Sejko which shows up in
      > Albanian databases.
      >
      > Thanks for taking the time to research this for me. I really
      > appreciate it.
      > Jes

      Rudolph's (b. 1884) and Aniela's (b. 1874) ethnicity is not
      clear.
      There residences in general were listed, not their birth places.
      After locating their birth places ? would be necessary to research
      if possible records exist for them.

      Social Security Death Index began in 1937.

      Note Sekota entry under Bohemian Relatives below.

      http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/gc/CzechRepublic/Stredocesky/10055

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
      Monarchie (1867-1918.
      It was an Austrian Kröneland.
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
      Mähren was an Austrian

      Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
      Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
      Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
      of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
      (Austrian-Silesia).

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko@p...> wrote:
      > > At 10:20 AM 5/16/01 +0000, you wrote:
      > >
      > > I didn't see any mention of a US white page search in your post
      > but, to add
      > > to Frank's substantial effort, a Switchboard search of the white
      > pages
      > > located 5 Seykota and 3 Seykota-Smith across the US. A form
      letter
      > and
      > > self addressed stamped envelopes might bring you some additional
      > information.
      > >
      > > John
      > >

      > > >Don't know your surnames.
      > > >
      > > >The U.S. Social Security Death Index lists only 2 surname
      Seykota.
      > > >Edward (1917-1982)
      > > >Hilda (1913-1996)
      > > >

      > > >http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyfulton/Military/Seykota.html
      > > >
      > > >For example, the Czech Republic telephone directory lists 200+
      > surname
      > > >Sykora under Praha , but no surname Seykota.
      > > >
      > > >To make it more interesting 2 surname Seykota emigrated to the
      U.S.
      > > >according to Ellis Island Passenger Lists.
      > > >
      > > >A Rudolph Seykota , age 30, arrived in September 1914 from
      > Liverpool,
      > > >England. Residence New York, N.Y., Ethnicity Austrian.
      > > >(WW I broke out on August 1, 1914 when Austria invaded Serbia)
      > > >
      > > >A Aniela Seykota, age 30, arrived May 1904 from Kraków, Poland.
      > > >Ethnicity Polish.
      > > >Kraków was located in Austrian-Poland and known as Polish
      Galicija.