dupetsky ancestory

  • Kim Roos
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
      I am diving into research on John Dupetsky born 1878 in Czechoslovakia. His middle name may be George and his immigration date is 1901. He married Mary, also listed as Czechoslovakia, immigrated 1903. They settled in Cooper, Clearfield, Pennsylvania, United States, and had many children-6. Their named was then spelled Dubetsky. My grandmother was their daughter Elizabeth. Thank you for any help, Kim

      Kim Roos
      Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
      29 Hatch Knoll Rd
      Jonesboro, Me 04648
      207-434-2674
      www.hatchknoll.com
      fresh, local, lovingly raised
    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013

        From familysearch....

        John George Dubetsky 21 Dec 1878
        from Velki polk
        (possibly current day Velke Pole?)

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
          wow! Thank you now to investigate Velki Polk! Any info on that appreciated! I would love to find his wife MAry’s maiden name! Kim

          Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:35 PM
          Subject: Re: [S-R] dupetsky ancestory

          From familysearch....

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013

            1930 census info

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
              yes I have that page in my file and we were always told it was dubetsky but I do not see a way of finding Marys maiden name. Mybe it is just my access. My gandmother is listed on this, Elizabeth. If you can see more info than I can I appreciate the help.
              I also don’t know the geography, would you know where the area, Velki Polk is? Thank you, Kim

              Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:45 PM

              1930 census info

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                Ok now that I have seen the location of Grassflat and the boarders being the Petrik family. I am leaning towards Velky Folkmar. Having done a little research in Grassflat I would lean towards that.

                Baptism record from the Jaklovce records which include Velky Folkmar and Rolova Huta. The name being spelled Dubecky. The birthdate is very close. Just need a few more pieces to say it might be so.

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013

                  No Dubecky in Velke Pole?

                  No baptism record found in Velke Pole church records.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 26, 2013
                    Missing a marriage record. I don’t see one in Jaklovce.

                    Missing immigration records. None found so far for Ellis Island.

                    Any older children born overseas?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013
                      had grassflat been developed from a particular group coming from a particular area? What is the significance of the petrik family. I had heard that  name often growing up. Kim

                      Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:55 PM

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013
                        Thank you so much for all your work, it seems so frustrating! I have contacted Margaret’s son in hopes he knows more. Margaret is still alive and I have asked him for her address although I know her health has been failing for years. I will try to get more info that way so far I only have her sons email so it is a little annoying hoping people get it and write back ect. Would you suggest specific questions to pass on to him? I have asked if he has info on the towns in Czechoslovakia and their moms maiden name. I have lost all other contacts with my mothers death in 1992 so he is my last link. I can just keep asking and send a note to Margaret’s last addy, ect. Thank you for what you have done and maybe someone in this group will have another lead. Kim

                        Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013

                          >>> Would you suggest specific questions to pass on to him? I have asked if he has info on the towns in [Czechoslovakia] and their moms maiden name. <<<

                          Which religion? In the Gelnica area, where the surname appears, RC, GC and Evangelical records are available.  Some are online; some on film only.

                          ps: Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.

                        • Kim Roos
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013
                            >>> Would you suggest specific questions to pass on to him? I have asked if he has info on the towns in [Czechoslovakia] and their moms maiden name. <<<

                            Which religion? In the Gelnica area, where the surname appears, RC, GC and Evangelical records are available. Some are online; some on film only.

                            ps: Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013

                                There re 721 listings for the name Petrik in Slovakia

                              http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/petrik/slovensko/

                              Vilo

                              >>> Would you suggest specific questions to pass on to him? I have asked if he has info on the towns in [Czechoslovakia] and their moms maiden name. <<<

                              Which religion? In the Gelnica area, where the surname appears, RC, GC and Evangelical records are available. Some are online; some on film only.

                              ps: Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918.

                            • Julie Michutka
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013
                                Kim, it sounds like you need to mine more American records before "jumping the pond" to ensure that you hit the right town. Have you found the family in each census from 1910-1940, and mined those for all possible info? Did John and Mary marry here, or in Europe? If here, have you tried to obtain their civil marriage record and their church marriage record? Were any children born in Europe?--if so, records that they created (such as their own marriage records) might name their place of birth. Do you have John's death certificate? Did he have a Social Security number, and if so have you sent for his SS-5 (application for a Social Security account) which asks for place of birth and parents' names? Have you checked birth and baptismal records for each of John and Mary's children to see if any asked where the parents were born? Do any of the census records indicate that John/Mary were naturalized, and if so have you searched for their naturalization papers, and if not have you sent for their Alien Registration forms (required beginning 1940 I think). Who were their children's godparents--they might be relatives.

                                Methodical searches of multiple American records for place of origin will be slower but will likely yield the most accurate results in the end.

                                Best of luck with the hunt,

                                Julie Michutka
                                jmm@...

                                Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 27, 2013
                                  It is true, I need to do more “home” work! Every year I pick up on genealogy for my off season so I have just begun again for the winter!
                                  I will hit as many of the sources you mentioned and I have been trying the marriage certificate record with no success. I also have little to no $ for this so I have to hunt as much free as possible! So off I go, but the help I get from this group is always inspiring! Kim

                                  Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                    Kim,

                                    ancestry.com is free to search for today and it may add to your information.
                                    Happy Holidays Dorann

                                    Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                      YEA!! Heard back from Margarets son and her mothers maiden name is Pertik!!! So what was the significance of Petrik to you? So now I know John Dupetsky was married to Mary Petrik! Off on more hunting!!! Kim

                                      Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:55 PM

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                        Congrats, Kim!!! How exciting to get such a crucial piece of information! ~ Julie Michutka

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                          This cements a little bit more my hunch that they were both from the Jaklovce parish in Slovakia. Grassflat has a small contingent that came from Jaklovce including the Petrik families from Nagy Folkmar.

                                          So the next step is to find Maria/Mary’s birth records in the Jaklovce records. Do you have an exact or estimated date of birth for her.

                                          Have you been able to locate them in the other census records? I have not. I browsed the Grassflat censuses looking for the surname but couldn’t find it.

                                          And still the elusive marriage record or at least some evidence if they married in Slovakia or the USA.

                                          Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:55 PM

                                            Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                              If Maria Petrik was born in abt 1881. There is a Maria baptized in Aug 1881. There are at least 2 born in 1882 but I have marriages for them already.

                                              thank you I have been searching endlessly!!! Apparently its only some 2013 “favorites” that are free but I am trying!!!

                                              Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013

                                                record #80 Maria Petrik

                                                Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:18 PM

                                                Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013
                                                  It must be don’t you think? Can you make out anything else? I find it so hard to read! Thank you

                                                  Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:30 PM

                                                  record #80 Maria Petrik

                                                  Sent: Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:18 PM

                                                  Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:28 PM

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 28, 2013

                                                    If we accept the hypothesis of Nagy Folkmar and go to the 1869 Hungarian Census at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28519-9986-64?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HB2:n721642685

                                                    We find PETRIK (RC) at pages 24, 49, 82, 92, 107, 115, 129.

                                                    We find DUBETSKY (RC) at pages 86, 101.

                                                    I could not tie the PETRIK / KLEIN 1881 birth to house #70 (page 147). The village is full of KLEINs.

                                                    This may not be proof but it sure looks promising!