Seykota - Sykora was Re: [S-R] Surname Seykota

  • John
    Message 1 of 7 , May 15 12:29 PM
      At 06:05 PM 5/15/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hello,
      >I am new to the group and my father's side of the family was Czech. I
      >want to learn the language and research my ancestors. I don't know
      >anything about them as my Mom was never married to them but I am
      >trying to find someone who knows something about my Surname. I also
      >want to find out what my great-grandmother's name was before she got
      >married. My father didn't know anything about the family before they
      >came to America so no help there.

      If you haven't visited these sites, you may find some help there.

      http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/Genealogy/czechsurnames.html

      http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/durer/23/var/moresurnames.html

      From the second site above:

      "STRNAD a name of a bird - bunting, SYKORA a bird´s name - tit , SIMEK
      from a first name Simon, SMID, SMIDA a smith, STEPANEK from a first
      name Stepan - Stephen"

      Sykora (among the top 100 Czech names) is similar phonetically to
      Seykota. Perhaps the name was changed along the way, if so, most probably
      in the US. Just a guess.

      Janko

      > From what I have researched, the o-t-a in Seykota is not a common
      >ending. Is it for sure a Czech name? Also I don't know if the "y" was
      >added when they came to America but there is a Czech name Sekota, the
      >closest match I have found. Has anyone ever heard of my Surname? If
      >it is Americanized does anyone have a clue as to what it was when
      >they lived in Czechoslovakia? Was it spelled Szekota maybe?
      >
      >Birth records indicate that they settled in Indiana and Iowa. They
      >came from Northern Moravia but I don't know what town or village. I
      >don't know where they went first, all I know is they settled in the
      >early 1900's. My grandparents died a long time ago so I can't ask
      >them either. I am interested in finding out about my ancestors before
      >they came to America.
      >
      >Please email me if anybody knows anything. Thank you.
      >Jesenka

    • jallen50
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15 6:22 PM
        There are also Sykora's in Texas. They are of Czech descent. One branch of
        that family lives in Rhode Island.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 16 3:20 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., jesenka01@y... wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I am new to the group and my father's side of the family was Czech.
          > want to learn the language and research my ancestors. I don't know
          > anything about them as my Mom was never married to them but I am
          > trying to find someone who knows something about my Surname. I also
          > want to find out what my great-grandmother's name was before she got
          > married. My father didn't know anything about the family before they
          > came to America so no help there.
          >
          > From what I have researched, the o-t-a in Seykota is not a common
          > ending. Is it for sure a Czech name? Also I don't know if the "y"
          was
          > added when they came to America but there is a Czech name Sekota,
          the
          > closest match I have found. Has anyone ever heard of my Surname? If
          > it is Americanized does anyone have a clue as to what it was when
          > they lived in Czechoslovakia? Was it spelled Szekota maybe?
          >
          > Birth records indicate that they settled in Indiana and Iowa. They
          > came from Northern Moravia but I don't know what town or village. I
          > don't know where they went first, all I know is they settled in the
          > early 1900's. My grandparents died a long time ago so I can't ask
          > them either. I am interested in finding out about my ancestors
          before
          > they came to America.
          >
          > Please email me if anybody knows anything. Thank you.
          > Jesenka

          Don't know your surnames.

          The U.S. Social Security Death Index lists only 2 surname Seykota.
          Edward (1917-1982)
          Hilda (1913-1996)

          http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyfulton/Military/Seykota.html

          For example, the Czech Republic telephone directory lists 200+ surname
          Sykora under Praha , but no surname Seykota.

          To make it more interesting 2 surname Seykota emigrated to the U.S.
          according to Ellis Island Passenger Lists.

          A Rudolph Seykota , age 30, arrived in September 1914 from Liverpool,
          England. Residence New York, N.Y., Ethnicity Austrian.
          (WW I broke out on August 1, 1914 when Austria invaded Serbia)

          A Aniela Seykota, age 30, arrived May 1904 from Kraków, Poland.
          Ethnicity Polish.
          Kraków was located in Austrian-Poland and known as Polish Galicija.

          Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
          (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
          Monarchie (1867-1918)
          It was an Austrian Kröneland.

          Galicia was formerly a Austrian Kröneland and also part of
          Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918).
          Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
          Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
          Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).
        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16 10:21 AM
            At 10:20 AM 5/16/01 +0000, you wrote:

            I didn't see any mention of a US white page search in your post but, to add
            to Frank's substantial effort, a Switchboard search of the white pages
            located 5 Seykota and 3 Seykota-Smith across the US. A form letter and
            self addressed stamped envelopes might bring you some additional information.

            John

          • jesenka01@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 16 10:50 AM
              Thanks for all your help! Is there a way to find out what Rudoph and
              Aniela Seykota's children's names were or what family Aniela married
              into? Neither of them seem to be listed in the death index, probably
              because they didn't have social security numbers.

              I have seen my name spelled Sekota, which could be a closer match
              than Sykora. It could have started out as Sejko which shows up in
              Albanian databases.

              Thanks for taking the time to research this for me. I really
              appreciate it.
              Jes

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , May 16 2:52 PM
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., jesenka01@y... wrote:
                > Thanks for all your help! Is there a way to find out what Rudoph and
                > Aniela Seykota's children's names were or what family Aniela married
                > into? Neither of them seem to be listed in the death index, probably
                > because they didn't have social security numbers.
                >
                > I have seen my name spelled Sekota, which could be a closer match
                > than Sykora. It could have started out as Sejko which shows up in
                > Albanian databases.
                >
                > Thanks for taking the time to research this for me. I really
                > appreciate it.
                > Jes

                Rudolph's (b. 1884) and Aniela's (b. 1874) ethnicity is not
                clear.
                There residences in general were listed, not their birth places.
                After locating their birth places ? would be necessary to research
                if possible records exist for them.

                Social Security Death Index began in 1937.

                Note Sekota entry under Bohemian Relatives below.

                http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/gc/CzechRepublic/Stredocesky/10055

                Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
                (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
                Monarchie (1867-1918.
                It was an Austrian Kröneland.
                Both German and Czech languages were used.

                Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
                Mähren was an Austrian

                Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
                Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
                Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
                of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
                (Austrian-Silesia).