My Inroduction #2

  • John M. Lorenzo, Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013
      Re: John M Lorenzo, Jr.; Slovak Ancestors - Stefan Glembo and Mary Dudas
      Glembo.

      I will try to respond to all the helpful emails through this one email, so
      my apologies beforehand on the length of this email.

      Out of all that I have included below, I have only 2 questions:

      To Julie Mark: Do you have the web site link to Mary Dudas Glembo's
      manifest?

      To All: Does anyone know how to search for a deceased relatives SS
      application, so I do not bumble my way through and get lost in the process?

      To All:

      I have good US documents and information so far. What I lack are documents
      and information from Slovakia and ship manifests (the emails I have received
      from all will help greatly in my search). When I posted my original "My
      Introduction", I had no idea that people would actually start digging up
      documents and information for me, and so quickly! What a pleasant
      surprise!!! I was only expecting maybe some helpful guidance on where to
      look, and maybe in a week to a month response time.

      I have looked back through my records and have found that of all the
      children Stefan and Mary had (14 total), only one was born in Austria
      (Slovakia): Margaret Glembo (dob? unknown). Hopefully the help given to me
      below will lead to Slovak records of Margaret Glembo.

      The documents and Information I have are:

      Stefan Glembo Mary Dudas Glembo

      1910 US Census 1910 US Census

      US WWI Draft Card

      1940 US Census 1940 US Census

      US Social Security Death

      FindAGrave.com FindAGrave.com

      Stefan Glembo married Mary Dudas about 1903 (per 1910 census).

      Stefan Glembo immigrated to the US in 1904 (per 1910 census).

      Mary Dudas Glembo immigrated to the US in 1908 (per 1910 census).

      I also have Date of Birth and Date of Death for each.

      To John Q Adam:

      My family is Roman Catholic. I believe my Slovak Ancestors were either Roman
      Catholic or Greek Orthodox.

      By the best of my knowledge (and relying on my memory is not always a good
      idea), I believe the Slovak Church name was St. Cyril and Methodius. Our
      Slovak community in Virginia had two churches. The first church which burnt
      down was named St. Cyril and Methodius. I remember being told that St. Cyril
      and Methodius was the name of the church in Slovakia that our ancestors went
      to.

      So far I have not been able to locate the ship manifest for Stefan Glembo or
      Mary Dudas Glembo (See Julie Mark below). Locating the manifest would
      provide a great deal of information.

      Thank you for all the information from your 12-3-13 8:45 PM email [S-R] RE:
      My introduction. Researching all those helpful web sites will keep me busy
      for some time. Also, thank you for all the Glembo and Dudas variations from
      stevemorse.org.

      To Marlene Graban:

      The familysearch.org has yielded the same applicable document that I have
      from my ancestry.com account: United States World War I Draft Registration
      Cards, 1917-1918. All other familysearch.org document hits are not my Great
      Grandparents.

      Thank you, thank you for the 1930 US Census data! Since "Glembo" was
      misspelled as "Glombo" on the census, I did not have the 1930 US Census in
      my records. I will have to remember to use wildcards in their names when
      conducting searches. I'll use the wildcards to try and find the 1920 US
      Census (the one year I'm missing).

      To Julie Mark:

      Thank you for finding my Great Grandmother's manifest!!!

      Do you have the web site link to the manifest?

      I would love to see the manifest and save a copy to my computer.

      To Christopher Gajda:

      The village my ancestors came from is a bit difficult to determine, although
      Julie Mark (See above) seems to have found where my Great Grandmother came
      from. My living relatives do not remember what village my Grand Parents came
      from. My ancestry.com account provides nothing on their immigration and
      naturalization records. Even though I'm told that my Grand Parents came
      through Ellis Island, the Ellis Island web site has no record of them. I do
      not know if they ever petitioned for citizenship; although the 1910 US
      Census, the 1918 WW I Draft Registration Card, and the 1940 US Census has
      both listed as "Citizenship: Alien". If they petitioned for US citizenship,
      I do not know what county they applied through. I do know they lived in
      Keokee (Lee County), VA and Woodford (Caroline County), VA, so I could start
      there (good, something for me to do, thanks Christopher for the suggestion).
      I'll have to search for their SS application. I know Mary Dudas Glembo was
      issued a SSN in 1963 in Virginia (I have her SSN #). I have found nothing
      for Stefan Glembo's SSN, if he ever got one.

      Does anyone know how to search for a deceased relatives SS application, so I
      do not bumble my way through and get lost in the process?

      I still need to find any old letters that may still be around that my Grand
      Parents received from the "Old Country"; perhaps I can find additional clues
      there.

      To Joanne:

      Thank you for the Manifest information on Maria Glemba Dudas. I did find her
      under that spelling on stevenmorse.org. This sure looks like my Great
      Grandmother, but I'm a bit troubled by the fact that this person is from
      Hungary and not Austria / Czechoslovakia as she has on all the other
      documents that I know are from her.

    • johnqadam
      Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013

        >>> I have looked back through my records and have found that of all the
        children Stefan and Mary had (14 total), only one was born in Austria
        (Slovakia): Margaret Glembo (dob? unknown). Hopefully the help given to me below will lead to Slovak records of Margaret Glembo.<<<

        The marriage of her parents (abt 1903) and her birth are in the Slovak civic records (after 1895) and therefore not easily accessible. To access this information, you would probably need the help of a local Liptovska Luzna person or a pro genealogist.

        You have already been advised that the Liptovska Luzna RC church records 1847-1895 are available ON FILM ONLY for research at your nearest LDS Family History Center. Order the film online.

      • Julie Mark
        Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013

          John – I emailed you the manifest pages and I believe you still have to write in for the SS app, correct me if I am wrong anyone?

          Julie

          Message 5 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013

            >>> I have looked back through my records and have found that of all the
            children Stefan and Mary had (14 total), only one was born in Austria
            (Slovakia): Margaret Glembo (dob? unknown). Hopefully the help given to me below will lead to Slovak records of Margaret Glembo<<<

            On Ellis Island as:

            Glemba, Margit Luzsna, Hungary 9 1905 1914

            DOB 1905, per Ellis Island.
          • crossstitch_opal_wolf
            Message 6 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013

              > On Ellis Island as:
              >
              > Glemba, Margit Luzsna, Hungary 9 1905 1914
              > DOB 1905, per Ellis Island.

              Note there are two enteries for Glemba, Margit. On the Barbarosa arriving 28 Mar 1914 she is crossed off. The man listed above her name is from the same village and lists that he is going to an aquaintance Steve Glemba.

              On the George Washington arriving 7 Apr 1914 she is not crossed off. She list her uncle Frances Dudas as who is left behind and she is going to her father, Steve Glemba. The next passenger is also from the same village is listed as going to "ditto" Steven Glemba who he lists as his brother-in-law.

              Joanne
            • crossstitch_opal_wolf
              Message 7 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013
                I know you had an issue with the manifest I sent you since it said Hungary instead of Austria. So just curious what Julie found if you wouldn't mind sharing.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                > John - I emailed you the manifest pages and I believe you still have to
                > write in for the SS app, correct me if I am wrong anyone?
                >

                > Julie

              • Julie Mark
                Message 8 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013
                  I believe it was the same one you found, just sent him the actual manifest.
                  Julie

                  I know you had an issue with the manifest I sent you since it said Hungary instead of Austria. So just curious what Julie found if you wouldn't mind sharing.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Mark" <jkmark@...> wrote:

                  > John - I emailed you the manifest pages and I believe you still have to
                  > write in for the SS app, correct me if I am wrong anyone?
                  >

                  > Julie

                • crossstitch_opal_wolf
                  Message 9 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013
                    Ok just wondering since I sent him the link to the manifest and was wondering if you found something different since he said my link had Hungary instead of Austria.

                    Joanne

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Mark <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    > I believe it was the same one you found, just sent him the actual manifest.
                    > Julie
                    >

                    > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

                  • johnqadam
                    Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013

                      In this context, Hungary = Austria.

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2013
                        Village is Luzna [Luhzh=nah]

                        Message 12 of 12 , Dec 13, 2013
                          Re: John M Lorenzo, Jr.; Slovak Ancestors - Stefan Glembo and Mary Dudas
                          Glembo.

                          To all,

                          Thank you for all your responses. I have been busy this last week with
                          "other" things, and I have not even looked at my email until today.

                          My all your generosity be returned to you many fold.

                          Thank you and God bless,

                          John Lorenzo