census lookup

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

      I am trying to find a new relative I just uncovered.  I am hoping to find him the US census to see if he was born here or in Slovakia.  He died in 1916 and is buried in Johnstown, PA so I am assuming he will show up in the 1910 census, but I don’t seem to see him when I search.  I do not have an Ancestry account.  Would someone be willing to do a quick search?  His name is Alexander Kohan (Kochan).  Thank you in advance!

      Julie (Radak) Mark

    • Julie Mark
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

        Sorry, forgot to say that he was born in 1879.

        I am trying to find a new relative I just uncovered.  I am hoping to find him the US census to see if he was born here or in Slovakia.  He died in 1916 and is buried in Johnstown, PA so I am assuming he will show up in the 1910 census, but I don’t seem to see him when I search.  I do not have an Ancestry account.  Would someone be willing to do a quick search?  His name is Alexander Kohan (Kochan).  Thank you in advance!

        Julie (Radak) Mark

      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

          What about his wife's ,maiden name?

          ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <jkmark@...> wrote:

          Sorry, forgot to say that he was born in 1879.

          I am trying to find a new relative I just uncovered.  I am hoping to find him the US census to see if he was born here or in Slovakia.  He died in 1916 and is buried in Johnstown, PA so I am assuming he will show up in the 1910 census, but I don’t seem to see him when I search.  I do not have an Ancestry account.  Would someone be willing to do a quick search?  His name is Alexander Kohan (Kochan).  Thank you in advance!

          Julie (Radak) Mark

        • Frank R Plichta
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

            Try searching “Find-a-grave”.

            Maybe His wife is buried with him.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

              I don’t know his wife’s name or maiden name – just found out he existed today!  thought I’d start with the census and work my way back.  I did find him on line in the St. Mary’s cemetery in Johnstown.  I know he had two daughters, Maria and Elizabeth, they are buried next to him, but I don’t think his wife is??  He could be in the 1900 census as well.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013
                Julie,
                    I went to Ancestry.com and could only find one relevant document, WWI draft registration card. On it Alex Kohan gave 315 Broad (St.) as his address. Born: Aug. 15, 1887. Was a laborer at Cambria Steel Co. Wife – Maria. The card was dated as Sept. 12, 1918. If yours died in 1916 this one is not yours. There was no listing for the 1910 Census.
                    What was his wife’s name. Any children?

                Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 10:16 AM

                I am trying to find a new relative I just uncovered.  I am hoping to find him the US census to see if he was born here or in Slovakia.  He died in 1916 and is buried in Johnstown, PA so I am assuming he will show up in the 1910 census, but I don’t seem to see him when I search.  I do not have an Ancestry account.  Would someone be willing to do a quick search?  His name is Alexander Kohan (Kochan).  Thank you in advance!

                Julie (Radak) Mark

              • moliwart1
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

                  I found one census record for 1810 from Johnstown with a John Kochan?

                  Name:John Kochen
                  [John Hocken]
                  [John Kochan
                  Age in 1910:30
                  Birth Year:abt 1880
                  Birthplace:Austria
                  Home in 1910:Johnstown Ward 11, Cambria, Pennsylvania
                  Race:White
                  [White
                  Gender:Male
                  Immigration Year:1907
                  Relation to Head of House:Lodger
                  Marital Status:Married
                  Father's Birthplace:Austria
                  Mother's Birthplace:

                  Austria

                  My grandparents from Slovakia had a marriage certificate and it listed them from Austria. Could this be him and Alex or John is a middle name?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

                    This is definitely a possibility.  Does it have any other information?  I have a ship manifest of his mother that says she’s going to see her son “John”.  But have just found out this “John” was actually Alexander.  It’s a long story, but his dad died when he was young, mom and 2 younger sibs went back to Slovakia and then returned in 1901 (that’s where she says she was going to stay with a son John – but was also traveling with a son John).  Always thought it was strange and then found out today that a relative discovered that this Alexander was indeed the older sibling.  So I don’t know.  Would you mind emailing me the image?  jkmark@...

                    Thank you!!

                    Julie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

                      His wife’s name is Anna Jarasko – just found their marriage in the Cambria County index.  They have two daughters, Maria and Elizabeth – don’t know why I can’t find them in a census.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2013

                        Found his marriage license, his name is written as Sandor Kahun – maybe he is listed in the census with that spelling.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013
                          Hello:

                          I am not sure if there is any relation, but my great grandmother is JOANNA JURASKO from the KLUKNAVA parish in the SPIS region of Slovakia.

                          Best regards,

                          David

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2013

                            Hi David – that’s interesting.  I’m not sure where this Jurasko came from in Slovakia, her mom’s maiden name is Sabol.  I am not related to the Jurasko’s by blood, but my great grandmother’s brother married her!  My side of the family was from Olsavica (also in Spis).

                            Julie