Village of Vysna Pokoradz

  • John Cook
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2001
      Hi list,
      I would appreciate any information about the village Vysna Pokoradz. My
      paternal grandfather Paul Asztalos was from this town and family history
      indicates his wife, Julia Bendik Asztalos, also was born near this village.
      If anyone would be kind enough to check the Slovak telephone book for
      Asztalos and Bendik this would be greatly appreciated.
      Could someone explain how to "search" in this telephone directory ? Is it
      necessary to know Slovak? Also,
      is there a site that lists counties in Slovakia if one has a village name?
      I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered before.
      Thanks,
      Margie Cook
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2001
        At 06:55 PM 5/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi list,
        >I would appreciate any information about the village Vysna Pokoradz. My
        >paternal grandfather Paul Asztalos was from this town and family history
        >indicates his wife, Julia Bendik Asztalos, also was born near this village.
        >If anyone would be kind enough to check the Slovak telephone book for
        >Asztalos and Bendik this would be greatly appreciated.

        The Slovak online phone book appears to be down and, based on past
        experience, it could be down for days. It's a wonderful tool for
        genealogical research.

        >Could someone explain how to "search" in this telephone directory ? Is it
        >necessary to know Slovak?

        No. Instructions can be found at:
        http://home.nextra.sk/drnagy/Support/phone.html or

        You don't have to use diacritic marks.

        Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in at least the first three letters of the
        surname

        Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
        heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
        leave it blank) It is used for finding a business or service.

        Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

        Císlo domu - House number if known

        Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
        one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

        Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

        > Also, is there a site that lists counties in Slovakia if one has a
        > village name?

        It depends on what period you're interested in. When it was a part of
        Hungary they had Hungarian names for the
        counties http://www.horlacher.org/Hungary/HungCts.htm . This site has the
        names of the counties, principal cities, and location listed. This one has
        a list of the counties and maps of the
        counties http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm . Scroll to
        the map at the bottom to see where the counties were located. Under
        Czechoslovakia and Slovakia names were changed and boundaries were adjusted
        and different terminologies were used.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John Cook" <henway@b...> wrote:
          > Hi list,
          > I would appreciate any information about the village Vysna Pokoradz.
          My
          > paternal grandfather Paul Asztalos was from this town and family
          history
          > indicates his wife, Julia Bendik Asztalos, also was born near this
          village.
          > If anyone would be kind enough to check the Slovak telephone book
          for
          > Asztalos and Bendik this would be greatly appreciated.
          > Could someone explain how to "search" in this telephone directory ?
          Is it
          > necessary to know Slovak? Also,
          > is there a site that lists counties in Slovakia if one has a village
          name?
          > I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered before.
          > Thanks,
          > Margie Cook

          Before WW I when Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) the
          Hungarians used the administrative term Megye (county)
          After peace treaty (1920) the Slovaks used stolice or z^upy (county)
          until the z^upy system was discontinued in 1923.
          The term now used is okres (district)

          http://www.feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-skarc.html

          http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g045.htm

          Vys^ná Pokoradz (Sv) Felso"pokorágy (H) is now located in okres
          Rimvaská Sobota.

          In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. like letter s in English word
          so.

          As I wrote the R.C. parish church records (1771-1895) for Vys^ná
          Pokoradz are listed under Rimvaská Sobota (town)
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John Cook" <henway@b...> wrote:
            > Hi list,
            > I would appreciate any information about the village Vysna Pokoradz.
            My
            > paternal grandfather Paul Asztalos was from this town and family
            history
            > indicates his wife, Julia Bendik Asztalos, also was born near this
            village.
            > If anyone would be kind enough to check the Slovak telephone book
            for
            > Asztalos and Bendik this would be greatly appreciated.

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 3 surname Bendik under Rimvaská
            Sobota.
            Directory also list 1 surname Asztalos under Rimvaská Sobota
            and 8 more surnames in village located NNE of RS called Vel'ky' Blh.

            Asztalos is a fairly Hungarian surname, while Bendik is a Slovak
            surname.
          • J. Michutka
            Message 5 of 6 , May 14, 2001
              Hi Margie,

              >At 06:55 PM 5/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >>I would appreciate any information about the village Vysna Pokoradz. My
              >>paternal grandfather Paul Asztalos was from this town

              If you like, I can xerox the village entry in _Vlastivedny Slovnik Obci na
              Slovensku_ for Vysna Pokoradz and mail it to you. I can't translate it,
              though; some of the entry is understandable--former names of the village,
              population at various points in time, but for the rest of it you need to
              know Slovak. It's a short entry, but at least it will give you some basic
              info.

              Email me your address if you want a copy of this.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • Imrich Petrov,M.D.
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2001
                Correct is Rimavská Sobota, not Rimvaská Sobota.
                Imrich