Re: [S-R] Searching John Misura

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the help. I went back to Ellis Island Records and looked
      for
      > Misura only. I had looked for John Misura. Found the 54 Misura's
      you
      > mentioned. A couple of Jan's that I would guess means John. The
      most
      > promising one said he was from Galicia. When I searched for Galicia
      I only
      > found Spain so I thought this could not be the John Misura I was
      looking for
      > but your note here says there is a Polish Galicia. This would mean
      he is
      > still possibly the one I am looking for.

      You stated your GF John Misura b.1882 arrived in US in 1903.
      Of course, there was no country called Czechoslovakia until
      1919-1920.
      What was source of your information, naturalization papers or a U.S.
      Census enumeration ?

      Jan can be either a Slovak, Czech, or Polish first name.

      A Jan Misura arrived from Galicia in 1902 from Antwerp, Belgium
      port of exit in Europe.
      Age 16, so born in 1888 ?
      From Glimk which is probably some place located in SE Poland
      or Ukraine (qualifies as Austrian-Poland or Polish Galicia)

      Did you locate another Jan Misura from Galicia in the EIR lists ?

      Are you sure your GF arrived NYC port of entry, and not Baltimore,
      Philadelphia, or even Galveston, TX which many Czechs used ?

      Frank Kurcina