Re: [S-R] Re: Podhorie

  • Linmarie720@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2001
      Dr. Q,
      I have no information. I have been looking for my Grandfather for many
      years, with no more information then that he came from Czech., and had it not
      been for Ellis Island web site opening up, I would not even have the name
      Podhorie. It was spelled Podhorfe on the Ellis Island site. I was able to
      locate him here in Pa. in the 1920 census and thru simple subtraction was
      able to determine that I think I found the correct Adam Fratrik on Ellis
      Island. Would there be any records at all for Podhorie that I could search
      that might tell me anything??
      Thank you for ANY help
      Linda

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2001
        How about getting on the internet phone book for Slovakia and locating the
        code for the different Podhories. Then so a search for ALL imaginable
        variations of your family name and see which Podhories come up with the most
        'hits'. That should narrow down your search.

        http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

        Others can give you instructions on how to use it.

        Good luck!

        Ron
        > I have no information. I have been looking for my Grandfather for many
        > years, with no more information then that he came from Czech., and had it
        not
        > been for Ellis Island web site opening up, I would not even have the name
        > Podhorie. It was spelled Podhorfe on the Ellis Island site. I was able to
        > locate him here in Pa. in the 1920 census and thru simple subtraction was
        > able to determine that I think I found the correct Adam Fratrik on Ellis
        > Island. Would there be any records at all for Podhorie that I could search
        > that might tell me anything??
        > Thank you for ANY help
        > Linda

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2001
          At 01:27 AM 5/9/01 -0400, you wrote:

          >I have no information. I have been looking for my Grandfather for many
          >years, with no more information then that he came from Czech., and had it not
          >been for Ellis Island web site opening up, I would not even have the name
          >Podhorie. It was spelled Podhorfe on the Ellis Island site. I was able to

          Linda,

          As Ron said, the normal procedure is to check the phone book for town to
          see if you can find the name. You only need 3 letters of the city to
          search. As a result, this query covered all the Podhorie. This is the
          only Fratrik that showed up under a search of Pod.

          Vincent Frátrik
          5, Podhorie pri Z^iline
          089/5970237

          I think the "pri Z^iline" means the Podhorie near Z^ilina. It is near
          Z^ilina. When I checked for the name in Zilina, I found 33 Fratik
          listed. Good luck.

          Janko

          Janko

        • Michael Zuchick
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2001
            Phone book? Phone Book? Is their a Slavokian Phonebook
            on line?

            Mike Zuchick

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/