Slovak Village--Detrafalu?

  • rusnakes
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013
      Good morning everyone,

      Has anyone heard of a village named Detrafalu?  I found an immigration card from Philly, PA last night for my gg-grandmother from 1912.  The image is badly faded, but I believe the town of origin for her father was called Detrafalu.

      I went online to search for this town and was unsuccessful (so maybe it's not a town?) and tried to translate the word from its roots. I think it translates as "town-village"....not helpful, unless it is Detra village, which might ring a bell for someone.

      I'll upload the pic of the immigration card, if anyone else wants to look at it (under Maria Rusznak 1912 immigration card).  I also tried enhancing the photo based on suggestions from the list, but I wasn't able to read any more with enhancements than I could by just staring at it for a minute.

      Here is a synopsis of the text I could read:

      Name: Maria Rusznak
      Detrafalu
      45 years old
      Widowed
      Housewife
      Couldn't read or write
      Slovak from Detrafalu Hungary
      Father Beszila Denos (?) from Szepes, Russia
      Family in US: Andras Rusznak, son, in Windber, PA
      She brought $25.00 with her

      Thanks!

      Emily
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

        The "Adam Theorem" says that it is within TWO villages distance of where your family is centered. Simply look at the old map.

        1910 HUNGARIAN MAP

        The old Hungarian map can be found at: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/

        SAVE the map on YOUR computer. OPEN the map in any graphics program. CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will likely find in church records.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

              Thank you very much for the suggested sources.  These will be immensely helpful as I move forward in my research. I see both the Beszilla and Rusznak surnames were common in this village as well.

              The Hungarian 1910 map was dense...I found Detrafalva on the map quickly (between Iglo and Korompa), but kept looking for Olcnava. <g>  Thanks for the assistance.  This is my first true foray into research in the old country.  I've read about various parts of NE Slovakia over the years (knowing my family was from up that way somewhere), but the prior knowledge I have is by no means this specific.

              Thanks again!

[...]

            • Paul Paulochik
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                Actually, it's "Windber", not "Windberg". Transposition of Berwind from the Berwind-White Coal company, who owned all the mines there. And if you're a native, it's pronounced 'Wim-ber', not 'Wind-ber'.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                  Thanks Paul for your correction.  You sound like a native of PA and this area, correct?  I recently moved back to Ohio where I grew up but lived in NY for almost 40 years.  I am again glad to hear the correct pronunciation of the state where I grew up.  It is "Ohia"  Yunsus take care now.

                  CK

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                    Native of Windber, but gone 30 years now

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                      Paul Paulochik, I have lost your email but I visited the Paulocik village in Slovakia a couple of weeks ago. First time to meet the Paulociks in Klokocov.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                        Thanks for looking things up!  I have also come across that 1910 census record.  I was reticent to add it in as a solid match, as Andrew came over in 1905.  However, I believe he (or others in his family) were not the best reporters of information for the census. :)  I have found a whole mix of years for his birthday and arrival date.  His death certificate and headstone are 5 years off from each other.  C'est la vie.

                        I would like to say that record is 100% him b/c there is a Joseph Rusnak that was mentioned as a boarder with him.  On the ship manifest for Andrew, it lists the name of a brother that lived in Johnstown, but I am as of yet unable to both decode the name nor find a suitable Rusnak that might match the combo of letters written (the manifest can be found here under Andras Rusznak): http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?MID=00791816040231239520&FNM=ANDRAS&LNM=RUSZNAK&PLNM=RUSZNAK&first_kind=1&last_kind=0&RF=35&PID=102476120234

                        Thanks again for your assistance!  I appreciate all the help!

[...]

                      • curtbocha
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2013

                           Emily,

                          you wrote:

                          I would like to say that record is 100% him b/c there is a Joseph Rusnak that was mentioned as a boarder with him. On the ship manifest for Andrew, it lists the name of a brother that lived in Johnstown, but I am as of yet unable to both decode the name nor find a suitable Rusnak that might match the combo of letters written (the manifest can be found here under Andras Rusznak.

                          I have seen this strange phonetic spelling several times before:  Maik - A German or Slovak phonetic  spelling for Mike  or Michael Rusznak.

                          Curt B.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 3, 2013

                              Emily,

                              I think you have the wrong Ellis Island record for your Andras Rusznak.  The 1910 census says your Andras was born around 1886 and came to America in 1907.  The record you posted is for 1905 and he is 17 years old so born around1892.  Here is a link to the record I believe is really your Andras.  It is from 1907 and he came from the right location.  I believe his age is actually 21 but it appears to be 24.  However, I think that is just a smudge because the 4 does not look like the other 4 on the page.  I would bet this is the correct person.  He is on line 13.  He was from Zsakarfalu (now Zakarovce) which is very near Detrefalu.

                              http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=101940060043&MID=08175280550082256576&

                              Carl

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 3, 2013

                                Hi Curt,

                                Thanks for searching this out. Well, there are a few things that are at play here on this record.  First, I have 3 separate arrival dates for Andras/Andrew, ranging from 1901-1907 (census records). His DOB ranges from 1886 to 1892 on a range of documents (even his headstone says 1893, and it is definitely his headstone, but his death certificate, which is definitely his as well, has 1887). Also, I don't have any family members on the Rusnak side that seemed to have immigrated to Schuykill county, PA (although the other half of my paternal line, strangely enough, settled there).  Also, I have his draft card from 1942 that states his hair is brown, not black.  Both colors run hard in our family (especially coal black!), but it usually is where the hair is blonde/brown at a younger age and gets progressively darker across the years (mine is doing the same...well, except the gray now streaking through! <g>).

                                The village name Zakarfalu is very appealing to accept as correct; there are other Rusznaks from that village with immigration records on familysearch.

                                'Tis the conundrum for this side of the family.  The dates are all over the place, even when I have 100% confidence of the source (e.g., all the family names are correct; they maintain the same address across census records, etc.).  Maybe this is a common thing for others?  My mom's side of the family is spot on with dates/ages/etc., but they immigrated from an English-speaking country with similar customs/practices as those already in the US.

                                Thanks again for your help, Curt.  It is very much appreciated!