Help with town name - "[something] Hutta"

  • Mary Ellen Pierson
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013

      Hello, fellow genealogists!

      I am in need of help deciphering the town name on my 2x great grandmother’s marriage record.  It appears to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.   This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.  By 1872 they are living in Spisske Vlachy.  Since I cannot find a birth/baptism record for her on the Kluknava film, I suspect I’m in the wrong town but don’t know where to look.

      The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website.  I can access specific pages/images from this film from the website, but not navigate to other images.  I’ve taken photos of the record from the film and have posted them on the site.

      If there is a way to capture the URL for this page and post it, please let me know.

      Thanks, as always, for your help.

       Mary Ellen Pierson

    • Sue Martin
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013

        Spisske Vlachy was Szepesolaszi.  Kluknava was Klukno.  Both towns are in Szepes Megye.  The closest towns that used to end in -falu are Prakfalu (now Prakovce) and Pongraczfalu (now Pongracovce).  I hope this helps.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013

          Sorry, I neglected to mention that I came across several places named Hutta, but they are all in quite different parts of the country from the other places you mentioned.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
            Dear Mary Ellen:

            I noticed that you mentioned both KLUKNAVA and SPISSKE VLACHY in your post.  I also noticed the GONDA surname.  While it does not appear in my direct lineage, I know that the GONDA name is connected with some of my collateral relatives.  My great, great, great grandmother ELIZABETH HVIZDOS is from the village of KLUKNAVA, and other ancestors of mine are from the nearby villages of KALYAVA, HRISOVCE, and RICHNAVA.

            My grandparents ANDREW BALOGA (ANDRAS BALOG) and VERONIKA HRONEC lived in the village of SPISSKY VLACHY, where my aunt, MARIA BALOGA, was born in 1909.  My grandparents and aunt immigrated to the U.S.A. around 1910 and settled in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

            Please feel free to write me directly at David1Law@... (the "1" is a "one"). Below are a list of the surnames in my direct lineage.  I am sure that our ancestral histories cross paths somewhere, and it is great to find another researcher in SPISSKE VLACHY and KLUKNAVA.

            Sincerely,

            David

            Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, MALY SLAVKOV, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA, SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

            In a message dated 10/16/2013 2:59:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, maryellen.pierson@... writes:

[...]

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
              Sorry but I missed one there are 4 Stara Huta towns.  I searched for Gonda i telefonny directory and found  in Stara Huta:  http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Gonda/Stara+Huta/

              On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:19 PM, "johnqadam@..." <johnqadam@...> wrote:

               >>> The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website <<<

              YES it is.

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                Huta ; Huta Matilda ; Hutka ; Hutky ; Muranska Huta ; Niz~na Hutka: Novoveska Huta ; Slanska Huta ; Stebnicka Huta ; Vigl'as~ska Huta.

                On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:19 PM, "johnqadam@..." <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                 >>> The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website <<<

                YES it is.

                ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Hello, fellow genealogists!
                I am in need of help deciphering the town name on my 2x great grandmother’s marriage record.  It appears to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.   This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.  By 1872 they are living in Spisske Vlachy.  Since I cannot find a birth/baptism record for her on the Kluknava film, I suspect I’m in the wrong town but don’t know where to look.
                The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website.  I can access specific pages/images from this film from the website, but not navigate to other images.  I’ve taken photos of the record from the film and have posted them on the site.
                If there is a way to capture the URL for this page and post it, please let me know.
                Thanks, as always, for your help.
                 Mary Ellen Pierson

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013

                  Ooops. Two films for the village contain info that is too recent and so are not available online.

                  I spoke too quickly.

                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23075-8508-11?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-ZMS:263801865

[...]

                • Samuel Ontko
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                    One guess would be...
                    Rolova Hutta formerly known as Phoenix hutta
                    Usually this village was included in the Jaklovce records. But I don’t see any baptisms for Gonda in the time frame.
                    So maybe only by exclusion?

                    Sam

                    Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:37 PM
                    Subject: Re: [S-R] RE: Help with town name - "[something] Hutta"

                    Huta ; Huta Matilda ; Hutka ; Hutky ; Muranska Huta ; Niz~na Hutka: Novoveska Huta ; Slanska Huta ; Stebnicka Huta ; Vigl'as~ska Huta.

                    style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-FAMILY: 'Helvetica Neue', helvetica, arial, san-serif, roboto; COLOR: rgb(63,63,63)">The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website <<<

                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                      There is also a STEFANSKA HUTA near KLUKNAVA.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                        My list was made as I searched through the index in my Atlas.  It took some time and my 77 yr eyes are not perfect.  The first time I missed one, Stara Huta.  Luckiely I found it becase there are a4 Gonda familie listed in the phone directory.
                        So, I apologize for mkissing the Stefanska Huta.
                        Advice:  Don't get old
                        Vilko

                        On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:29 PM, "david1law@..." <david1law@...> wrote:

                        There is also a STEFANSKA HUTA near KLUKNAVA.

                        In a message dated 10/16/2013 8:37:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, senzus@... writes:

                        Huta ; Huta Matilda ; Hutka ; Hutky ; Muranska Huta ; Niz~na Hutka: Novoveska Huta ; Slanska Huta ; Stebnicka Huta ; Vigl'as~ska Huta.

                        On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:19 PM, "johnqadam@..." <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                         >>> The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website <<<

                        YES it is.

                        ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Hello, fellow genealogists!
                        I am in need of help deciphering the town name on my 2x great grandmother’s marriage record.  It appears to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.   This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.  By 1872 they are living in Spisske Vlachy.  Since I cannot find a birth/baptism record for her on the Kluknava film, I suspect I’m in the wrong town but don’t know where to look.
                        The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website.  I can access specific pages/images from this film from the website, but not navigate to other images.  I’ve taken photos of the record from the film and have posted them on the site.
                        If there is a way to capture the URL for this page and post it, please let me know.
                        Thanks, as always, for your help.
                         Mary Ellen Pierson

                      • lrrykck
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013

                          Just a thought;

                           Nova, meaning new, and stary referring to old....I've seen both as prefixes associated with village names.
                          It's usually Nova Mesto and/or Stary Mesto. I've always taken that to mean an older or newer part of town.

                           Huta referring to processing ore as in a mill or smelter and used as a suffix-like attachment to the name of a village might refer to an area of town where processing ore is done.

                           If my thinking has any validity, couldn't any village in a mining district have that "Huta" suffix?

                          <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                          >>> The  marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 ---
                          Nov 12,  1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is
                          not  available thru the FamilySearch website <<<

                          YES  it is.

                          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23075-8508-11?cc=1554443&wc=M9
                          9C-ZMS:263801865

                          ---In  SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Hello, fellow  genealogists!
                          I am in need of help deciphering  the town name on my 2x great grandmother’
                          s marriage record.  It appears  to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.
                          This set of great  grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child
                          was born there in  1867.  By 1872 they are living in Spisske Vlachy.  Since
                          I cannot  find a birth/baptism record for her on the Kluknava film, I
                          suspect I’m in the  wrong town but don’t know where to look.
                          The marriage record is on film  #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov
                          12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna  Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not
                          available thru the FamilySearch  website.  I can access specific pages/images
                          from this film from the  website, but not navigate to other images.  I’ve
                          taken photos of the  record from the film and have posted them on the site.
                          If there is a way to capture the  URL for this page and post it, please let
                          me know.
                          Thanks, as always, for your  help.
                           Mary Ellen  Pierson

                        • Margo Smith
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                            falu means village in Hungarian, so you need to decipher the something that precedes it.  There are a gazillion villages that end in falu.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 16, 2013
                              Lorenc,
                              Stara Huta is near Nova Bana, (mew mine),

                              Vili

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
                                I have jpg info for your study.  I need your email to post info.   Your Andra and Anna were from Kluknava, Gelnica and as far as I have gone had 2 children Anna, Oldest DOB unknown and Jan 1867.

                                Vilo

                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013

                                   >>> This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.<<<

                                  I want to check the 1869 Kluknava Census for clues. The digital file has 409 pages. What house number for the family in Kluknava?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013

                                      Thanks to all for your input.  I have plenty of towns to research.

                                      One more follow-up question:

                                      If "falu" means village in Hungarian, does "Hutta" mean something similar?

                                      -Mary Ellen

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
                                        They were at #118 when Joannes (first child) was born.  Please let me know if you find anything in the census.  I looked and could not...but I may have missed it.

                                        Also, I tried looking for the 1869 census for Spisske Vlachy, but found none.  If there is one, please let me know.

                                        -Mary Ellen

                                        ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                         >>> This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.<<<

                                        I want to check the 1869 Kluknava Census for clues. The digital file has 409 pages. What house number for the family in Kluknava?

                                        ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                        Hello, fellow genealogists!

                                        I am in need of help deciphering the town name on my 2x great grandmother’s marriage record.  It appears to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.   This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava and their first child was born there in 1867.  By 1872 they are living in Spisske Vlachy.  Since I cannot find a birth/baptism record for her on the Kluknava film, I suspect I’m in the wrong town but don’t know where to look.

                                        The marriage record is on film #1739454 (Section 3, page 1, line 7 --- Nov 12, 1866 - Andreas Gonda and Anna Andrassko).  Unfortunately, it is not available thru the FamilySearch website.  I can access specific pages/images from this film from the website, but not navigate to other images.  I’ve taken photos of the record from the film and have posted them on the site.

                                        If there is a way to capture the URL for this page and post it, please let me know.

                                        Thanks, as always, for your help.

                                         Mary Ellen Pierson

                                      • Alexandra Vargovits

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013
                                              The villages of 215, 169 survived but the rest were destroyed  in Szepes county.
                                              If the 1869 census sheets of Spisské Valchy (Szepesolaszi) survived and it isn't online, try to inquire in Levoca at the local national archive.

                                              Lexy

                                                Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:37 PM

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 17, 2013

                                                  >>> looking for the 1869 census for Spisske Vlachy, but found none<<<

                                                  Nothing available.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 12, 2013

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 13, 2013

                                                       >>> I am in need of help deciphering the town name on my 2x great grandmother’s marriage record.  It appears to be “[something]falu in Hutta 128”.   This set of great grandparents were married in Kluknava <<<

                                                      Look at the 1910 map. "[falu and Huta] should be within TWO villages distance of Klukno. [Huta} may be a bit further.

                                                      One [Huta] is on the county line and is found on the adjacent Saros Megye map. Rolova Huta was formerly 1863 Phőnixhütte, 1888–1902 Phönixhutta, 1907–1913 Phőnikszhuta, 1920 Rolova Huta, Fenikshuta.

[...]

                                                    • Viktoria Maturkanic
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 13, 2013
                                                        Mary Ellen,

                                                        try Novoveska Huta that is quite close to Kluknava

                                                        good luck

                                                        Viktoria

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Nov 19, 2013
                                                          Thank you!   I will look into this.

                                                          -Mary Ellen
                                                        • Mary Ellen Pierson
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Nov 19, 2013
                                                            Thank you, Victoria.  The hunt continues....when I have some extra time..

                                                            -Mary Ellen