Need help finding a village of origin

  • foomiester@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 4:57 PM
      Hi everyone, I'm a new member of the group and hope I will be able to
      help someone here at one point or another.I have had some great sucess
      in finding many of my family members in the Czech & Slovak
      Republics,but I have not been able to locate any info on my
      greatgrandmother's family. I am hoping someone on this list may be
      able to send me in the right direction :-)Her name was Anna Dankulich
      (Dankulic would be the Slovak spelling)She married my greatgrandfather
      Juraj Rosko and they lived in the village of Husak in the early 1900s.
      Husak is near the Ukraine border.I have search in Slovakia for this
      surname with no luck-----I'm wondering if perhaps I should search one
      of the neighboring countries ?
      Thanks,
      Doreen
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 8:20 PM
        At 11:57 PM 5/6/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >able to send me in the right direction :-)Her name was Anna Dankulich
        >(Dankulic would be the Slovak spelling)She married my greatgrandfather
        >Juraj Rosko and they lived in the village of Husak in the early 1900s.
        >Husak is near the Ukraine border.I have search in Slovakia for this
        >surname with no luck-----I'm wondering if perhaps I should search one
        >of the neighboring countries ?

        The Ellis Island data base did not have a match for Dankulic but contains
        12 close matches spelled Dankulics, Dankulicz . The cz in Hungarian is
        usually pronounced as ts. The Dankulicz were from Hankocz, which I believe
        was located in Zemplin county (Eastern Slovakia) and is now called
        Hankovce. When the online Slovak phone directory starts working again, you
        might try searching the for the name in towns in Eastern Slovakia. I was
        able to get the site but I couldn't get beyond the homepage.

        John
      • foomiester@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 4:43 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko@p...> wrote:
          > At 11:57 PM 5/6/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > >able to send me in the right direction :-)Her name was Anna
          Dankulich
          > >(Dankulic would be the Slovak spelling)She married my
          greatgrandfather
          > >Juraj Rosko and they lived in the village of Husak in the early
          1900s.
          > >Husak is near the Ukraine border.I have search in Slovakia for this
          > >surname with no luck-----I'm wondering if perhaps I should search
          one
          > >of the neighboring countries ?
          >
          > The Ellis Island data base did not have a match for Dankulic but
          contains
          > 12 close matches spelled Dankulics, Dankulicz . The cz in Hungarian
          is
          > usually pronounced as ts. The Dankulicz were from Hankocz, which I
          believe
          > was located in Zemplin county (Eastern Slovakia) and is now called
          > Hankovce. When the online Slovak phone directory starts working
          again, you
          > might try searching the for the name in towns in Eastern Slovakia.
          I was
          > able to get the site but I couldn't get beyond the homepage.
          >
          > John

          Hi John , Thanks for that info !I did search Ellis Island---and did
          not get anything---I did try alternate spelling etc---I'll have to
          try with these spelling "Dankulicz and Dankulics"---i'll almost bet
          one of them is the correct spelling. I also was searching the
          villages w/in 10 mi radius of Husak, I don't have Hankovce on my list.
          Do you know what it is near ? Thanks again-----Doreen