Re: [S-R] Search for Military Uniform Pictures

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
      Emily,

      Sent you a collage of uniforms from the era.  The one on the right is my Great Grandfather, whom I knew when I was 5.  Loved hos tickely mustache.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:17 PM, "rusnakes@..." <rusnakes@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have a visual resource of military uniforms that were worn historically in the region?  I have a new family photo from the Pachuta side of my family that shows someone wearing a military uniform. I would guess the photo is from the late 1800s.  I searched online for Austro-Hungarian uniforms, but nothing meshed.

      Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

      Emily Rusnak

    • Nick
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
        >Vilo, any chance you could send the collage to me as well.

        Regards
        Nick
      • rusnakes

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
              Vilo, I would like to see it too!  Can you send it to me as well?  Thanks!

              >Vilo, any chance you could send the collage to me as well.

              Regards
              Nick

            • hogelj
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013

                I also would like the pictures.

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                  What we need is someone to open a Photo Folder on S-R on our Yahoo Group page so people can upload examples of uniforms - IDENTIFIED as to period and type of unit represented. Perhaps we can get a collection together that will be useful for people for this recurring problem.

                  Most of the questions seem to center on period uniforms from 1860 through 1918, either in the Austrian / Austro-Hungarian army  or Hungarian Honved.
                  Perhaps a file with a short history of changes and meanings, and of links to specialty web sites would be in order.

                  Please DO identify what is known on the picture itself to assure maximum usefullness.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013

                    Greetings all--

                    After my original search and post, as well as pics from Vilo, I just happened upon this text available online with pictures/drawings of military uniforms from 1686 to 1918:

                    http://www.scribd.com/doc/19454632/1686-to-1918-Military-Uniforms

                    I'm still making my way through the text right now, so I can't say it's a wildly successful search; however, I thought it might be a good resource to have available for the group.

                    Emily Rusnak

                    ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    What we need is someone to open a Photo Folder on S-R on our Yahoo Group page so people can upload examples of uniforms - IDENTIFIED as to period and type of unit represented. Perhaps we can get a collection together that will be useful for people for this recurring problem.

                    Most of the questions seem to center on period uniforms from 1860 through 1918, either in the Austrian / Austro-Hungarian army  or Hungarian Honved.
                    Perhaps a file with a short history of changes and meanings, and of links to specialty web sites would be in order.

                    Please DO identify what is known on the picture itself to assure maximum usefullness.

                    ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    I also would like the pictures.

                    ---In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <jkmark@...> wrote:

                    Vilo, I would like to see it too!  Can you send it to me as well?  Thanks!

                    >Vilo, any chance you could send the collage to me as well.

                    Regards
                    Nick

                  • rusnakes

                      >Vilo, any chance you could send the collage to me as well.

                      Regards
                      Nick

                    • takukuk

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 13, 2013
                          I'm confused !

                          I get messages indicating that there is a photo attached / inserted, but there is none !  I see a message under the message stating " (all non text portinons of the message have been removed .)" I try to find the referenced photo on other parts of the group, but can't.

                          How are we to see the picture ?,  where is it ?  Is this being done by a third party?

                          Can someone help me ?
                          George
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 13, 2013
                            You have no problem with Windows 8.

                            On this forum we cannot post photos. We have to post them to the Yahoo Group webpage under "Photos" or "Files".

                            You should have received a pretty comprehensive email telling you about this and many other things on how  to use this Group.

                            Go to
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SLOVAK-ROOTS/conversations/messages

                            and click on "photos" in the bar above the postings,

                             and see if you can post the photo there. Then post your link and title of the photo to the Group.

                            Ron

                            ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Sent from Windows Mail

                            Sorry all I must not have attached the picture correctly recent upgrade to WINDOWS 8 must have been operator error, ha ha. As I mentioned I have no info on the pic. I have scoured the internet and purchased books and still have no clue at all. I also realize that it is not the best quality picture, very hard to see. I appreciate any thoughts or ideas anyone may have.

                            Thanks

                            Sherry

                          • George