RE: RE: Re: Re: RE: [S-R] Re: Ship manifests

  • martha.andras
    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 29, 2013
      Just a word about the Rusyns, you can learn anything you want about them at c-r-s.org  It stands for the Caroatho-Rusyn Society.  They even have their own radio program in the Pittsburgh area on Sundays.  I have seen the director, John Righetti, speak several times.  He is very informative about the people called the "Rusyns".  Martha

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Gina,

      You might take some time and read up on the Rusyns; it is as complicated as you probably suspect it is. But that makes it  all the more fascinating.

      My first recommendation is a short writeup by Rich Custer at
      http://www.slovakia.org/society-rusyn.htm

      If you are after more information, there is plenty out there as a Google search will reveal.

      Another writeup by an English language newspaper in Slovakia is at
      http://travel.spectator.sme.sk/articles/1021/

      I tried googling the Bogusza village and came up with one in Poland, a bit east  of Nowy Sacz, which is close to my Rusyn neighborhood around Stara Lubovna. I was up in Poland this summer and drove within 10 miles or so of the village. If this is the right place, Magocsi's Rusyn maps place your people and mine) on the western edge of Rusyn settlements.

      That still might not be right, given that your information is from Hungary, today Slovakia, and not Galicia, now Poland.

      To see Magocsi's maps, you can take your choice of the maps at
      http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/genealogy/maps.html

      There are more detailed maps to be had, but this might help for orientation.

      My last suggestion maay be a repeat of what Vilo recommended,
      http://www.iarelative.com/slovakia.htm

      Ron

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You can find Rusyn peoples all over Eastern Slovakia. I have no info on the Rusyn Villages but I believe there are villages with majority Rusyn population.

      Try here:http://www.iarelative.com/slovakia.htm

      Vilo

      From: rusnakes@...
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      So here's my question--

      Would you see someone who is ethnically Slovak or Rusyn with a first name "Andras" in records?  Would an immigrant of the time typically use a dominant culture's version of his/her name or would a name like "Andras" indicate Hungarian descent?

      Emily Rusnak
      Gina,

      If you have been searching Ellis Island records and found nothing perhaps they entered via another port of entry.  Ellis Island operated from 1892-1923.

      Try searching the passenger records at the other ports:
      1. Castel Garden and Barge Office Manifest 1881-1897
      2. Baltimore 1820-1948
      3. Boston 1820-1943
      4. California 1893-1957
      5. Detroit Border Crossings 1905-1957
      6. Hawaii 1942-1948
      7. New York 1951-1938

      Also check:
      Bremen Passenger lists 1920-1939

      Good Luck
      Frank

      Frank Plichta
      “Searching the world for PLICHTAs”
      Any Plichta from any place at any time in history.