Re: [S-R] Searching John Misura

  • W. Scott Park
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2001
      Searching for Slovak roots of my Grandfather, John Misura, who was born in Czechoslovakia, Dec. 13, 1882 and came to the United States in 1903. He married Anna Macko who arrived at Ellis Island on Feb. 9, 1902. Could Misura have been spelled differently in Czech? I have not been able to find the name Misura anywhere. We found Anna Macko on the Ellis Island Records site.

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
        > Searching for Slovak roots of my Grandfather, John Misura, who was
        born in Czechoslovakia, Dec. 13, 1882 and came to the United States in
        1903. He married Anna Macko who arrived at Ellis Island on Feb. 9,
        1902. Could Misura have been spelled differently in Czech? I have
        not been able to find the name Misura anywhere. We found Anna Macko on
        the Ellis Island Records site.

        And where did you look for surname Misura ?
        U.S. telephone White pages list over 250 surname Misura bearers.

        Sometimes, when a Slavic surname sends in a vowel you can end up
        with a Romance language name or word (French, Italian, Spanish,
        Portuguese)
        In this case an Italian surname/word.

        Surname Misura (Slovak) can also be from western Slovakia.
        Or, from Budapest, Hungary.
        Or, from Austrian-Poland (Polish Galicia)
        Or, from Austria.

        In 1882 there was Czech-Bohemia under Austrian rule or Upper-Hungary
        (Slovakia) under Hungarian rule and both part of the Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy (1867-1918)
        Czechoslovakia was created in 1919-1920 after the WW I peace treaty.

        Believe the Ellis Island Records site lists 54 surname Misura.
        Don't have time to check it for you.
      • W. Scott Park
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2001
          Thanks for the help. I went back to Ellis Island Records and looked for
          Misura only. I had looked for John Misura. Found the 54 Misura's you
          mentioned. A couple of Jan's that I would guess means John. The most
          promising one said he was from Galicia. When I searched for Galicia I only
          found Spain so I thought this could not be the John Misura I was looking for
          but your note here says there is a Polish Galicia. This would mean he is
          still possibly the one I am looking for.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the help. I went back to Ellis Island Records and looked
            for
            > Misura only. I had looked for John Misura. Found the 54 Misura's
            you
            > mentioned. A couple of Jan's that I would guess means John. The
            most
            > promising one said he was from Galicia. When I searched for Galicia
            I only
            > found Spain so I thought this could not be the John Misura I was
            looking for
            > but your note here says there is a Polish Galicia. This would mean
            he is
            > still possibly the one I am looking for.

            You stated your GF John Misura b.1882 arrived in US in 1903.
            Of course, there was no country called Czechoslovakia until
            1919-1920.
            What was source of your information, naturalization papers or a U.S.
            Census enumeration ?

            Jan can be either a Slovak, Czech, or Polish first name.

            A Jan Misura arrived from Galicia in 1902 from Antwerp, Belgium
            port of exit in Europe.
            Age 16, so born in 1888 ?
            From Glimk which is probably some place located in SE Poland
            or Ukraine (qualifies as Austrian-Poland or Polish Galicia)

            Did you locate another Jan Misura from Galicia in the EIR lists ?

            Are you sure your GF arrived NYC port of entry, and not Baltimore,
            Philadelphia, or even Galveston, TX which many Czechs used ?

            Frank Kurcina