RE: [S-R] RE: DUNAY & MICHAYLO - SLOVAK RELATIVES FROM BOSKOVICE

  • Ken Dunay
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 28, 2013
      it is interesting that you mention an alternative spelling of Dunay as Dunaj.  My father always told me the spelling of our name in the old country was Dunaj or Dubai. That being said on my grandfather's Ship manifest from Antwerp his name is spelled Dunay.  It also indicates he was Slovak and its last permanent residence was Baskove (misspelled - Should hâve been Boskovice).  My Uncle told me he spoke about St Jacob's Church in Boskovice. My dad and his siblings all spoke, Read, and wrote Slovak fluently.

      From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

      t.salony@... wrote:

      kg,

       I have no info about either the surnames (other than "DUNAJ" is a much more common spelling that I find) or Boskovice, Czech R., but absent any other replies to your questions, my first thought is how sure are you of "Boskovice" as the correct place?  Do you have the DUNAY passenger manifest, or some other documentation?

       There are many more obvious questions, but without more specifics, I'll hold them.

       Maybe someone will say there actually was "... a sizable Slovak community in Boskovice".

      TOM

      ---In slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com, <kgdunay@...> wrote:

      My great grandparents, both Dunay and Michaylo surnames, came from Boskovice in present day Czech Republic.  My grandparents eventually settled in Taylor, Lackawanna County, PA.  They were all Greek Catholic and attended St. Mary's Byzantine Catholic Church in Taylor.

      Was or is there a sizable Slovak community in Boskovice? My grandfather Dunay immigrated in 1920.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

    • alexandravargovits
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2013

        Dear Ken,

        If you looking for George Dunay, who was born in 1902. august 23, I can help you!

        Just write to my private email address. alexandravargovits at yahoo dot com.

        Regards, Lexy