Re: [S-R] Heritage Help

  • Edmund maul
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2001
      1. Hockey for one at least in the USA
      2. probably early 1900's
      3. Hunky from Bohunk or Bohemian
      4. Midwest - Chicago and Texas
      5. Robot from word Robota which means to "work"
      6. I "think" Sandra Dee, actress
      Ed
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2001
        >6. I "think" Sandra Dee, actress

        No, Sandra Dee (Alexandra Zuck) is of Rusyn heritage -- her grandparents
        were from the Lemko Region of Galicia, now southeast Poland.
      • Bernardine Weigand
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2001
          Christa, here are a few website URLs which I have on file about the Czech Republic.
          Some of them may be helpful.

          The Czech Embassy:
          http://www.czech.cz/washington

          Some basic info on CR:
          http://www.czech.cz/czech/basic.html

          http://www.muselik.com/czech/toc.html

          Historical outline:
          http://www.czech.cz/czech/history.html

          I have others specific to Bohemia . If you need or want them, e-mail me .

          Also if you so a search you will come up with many links and topics relating to the CR.
          "Google" is good for searching.

          Good luck on your report.

          Bernardine

          Ken Sajdak wrote:

          > As head of the Czech and Slovak Roots Web pages, I occasionally get a rather
          > interesting posting or request.
          >
          > Thought this one might be a good time for some of the Sloval Roots mailing list.
          >
          > Please respond to Christa, and to the list, if you feel we'll benefit from your
          > insights.
          >
          > Ken Sajdak
          >
          > Posted Message Text:
          > Good Afternoon,
          > My name is Christa Kuchar. I am of Czech descent. I have to write a report about
          > my heritage.
          > In this report I have to answer some specific questions and I have been unable to
          > find the
          > answers. If you could help me I would be very greatful. Here they are:
          > 1 What sorts of games have traditionally or historically been played in
          > Czechoslovakia? Need at least one game and the rules to play it.
          > 2 The dates of the biggest influx of immigrants to the US and historical reasons
          > why they left their mother country. I am trying to get on the Ellis
          > Island website but so far no luck.
          > 3 Hurtful ethnic slurrs that were/are used against these immigrants?
          > 4 Where did most immigrants settle in the US?
          > 5 Words from the Czech culture that have become part of the everyday American
          > volcabulary.
          > 6 Prominent Americans that are of Czech heritage.
          >
          > Again any help or direction that I can go would help me out greatly.
          > Any answers can be emailed to me at infinity143epyon@... or this email
          > address.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Christa.

        • Heather
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2001
            Hello

            I would love the Bohemia links!!

            Thank you! What a great help!!
            Heather

            Ken Sajdak wrote:

            > As head of the Czech and Slovak Roots Web pages, I occasionally get a
            rather
            > interesting posting or request.
            >
            > Thought this one might be a good time for some of the Sloval Roots
            mailing list.

            > Please respond to Christa, and to the list, if you feel we'll benefit
            from your
            > insights.
            >
            > Ken Sajdak
            >
            > Posted Message Text:
            > Good Afternoon,
            > My name is Christa Kuchar. I am of Czech descent. I have to write a
            report about
            > my heritage.
            > In this report I have to answer some specific questions and I have been
            unable to
            > find the
            > answers. If you could help me I would be very greatful. Here they are:
            > 1 What sorts of games have traditionally or historically been played in
            > Czechoslovakia? Need at least one game and the rules to play it.
            > 2 The dates of the biggest influx of immigrants to the US and historical
            reasons
            > why they left their mother country. I am trying to get on the Ellis
            > Island website but so far no luck.
            > 3 Hurtful ethnic slurrs that were/are used against these immigrants?
            > 4 Where did most immigrants settle in the US?
            > 5 Words from the Czech culture that have become part of the everyday
            American
            > volcabulary.
            > 6 Prominent Americans that are of Czech heritage.
            >
            > Again any help or direction that I can go would help me out greatly.
            > Any answers can be emailed to me at infinity143epyon@... or this
            email
            > address.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Christa.
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Bernardine Weigand
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2001
              Bohemia:
              http://www.bartleby.com/65/bo/Bohemia.html

              A brief history of Bohemia in the 12th-13th centuries:
              http://isd.usc.edu/~aflesch/bohemia.html

              History of Bohemia:
              http://www.newbohemian.com/history.shtml

              Kingdom of Bohemia:
              http://www.unc.edu/~murphy/rabenstein/bohemia.html

              Also, this might be an interesting site for you-Czech name equivalents/definitions:
              http://www.kabalarians.com/female/jaroslava.htm

              I hope these will be as helpful to you as they were to me. I saved these URLs when they were previously posted by others and now can pass them on to you or others who may be interested.

              Again good luck and good progress on your report.