RE: RE: RE: RE: Pennsylvania Records RE: [S-R] RE: Lukac

  • rusnakes
    Message 1 of 49 , Sep 26, 2013

      Thanks for the info!  Much more than I would have expected.

      Emily

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have about 50 PA Death Certificates and although they vary a little bit based on the year, what they list is

      Name, birth, place of birth, date of death (how old when died) where they died.  Their parents and where their parents were born.  If married or single and spouse's name.  They also have a cause of death and some have for how long they were sick and if there were other secondary causes. These are the more recent ones.  They say who the funeral director was and what cemetery they were buried.   You can search the PA death records from 1906 to 1962 here http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1085804&mode=2

      You then have to fill out a form with the certificate number from the above link and send it to Harrisburg.  The information is here: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/public_records/20686   It cost $5.00 for just a copy of the record.

      Please also know that a lot of the information on the death certificate is provided by a next of kin and if they don't know something, it just says unknown or left blank.  They do give the name of the person supplying the information.  I just recently sent for one and it took about 2 weeks. Prior to July we had to send to New Castle Pa and it took 3 months.  Now they changed it to Harrisburg and they are much faster.

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I meant Frank! LOL :)

      Emily

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Bob,

      So the PA death certificates have more info on them than just name, date of death, etc.?  I have seen the official ones from other states and they were very thin on info.  I have death certificate info for some relatives (ggparents), but have put off ordering the certificates, in the belief that they would just be an official written confirmation of what I already know.

      My mother, who does research on my English side of the family, said that death records from outside of the hospital environment will often have lots of other info on them.  We have found out family/genetic health issues because of these finds over the years.

      Emily

      ---In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Bob,

      I knew that my Grandmother died in a hospital in Pittsburgh , PA in 1947.  When I wrote to the hospital and asked for information about her condition, even though I was the oldest surviving grandchild, the hospital would not share information with me about her hospitalization.  They said the information was confidential.

      Later after doing further research about the hospital, I learned that copies of the death certificate would be made available to an “other personal representative of the deceased patient.”

      So, I then wrote to the Department of Public Welfare in Harrisburg , PA where the state archives are recorded.

      This time instead of asking for medical information, I requested my grandmother exact date of birth and the names of her parents and their place of birth.  Only 25 days later I received a reply which included a “First Admission” from annotated with the cause of death.  The form provided some new information.  Her date of birth was two years earlier than originally thought.  Remember she died in 1947 when I was just 6 years old.  It confirmed her place of birth in Scottdale , PA and gave me the names of her parents which I did not previously know.  The form also confirmed her date of death, when she was admitted to the hospital (the same hospital that I had written to previously), that she was in the hospital for one month and four days at the time of her death and the cause of death.

      So if you are first told “NO” don’t give up.  Ask the question a different way.  Medical information questions are not good but birth dates and parent’s names are OK.

      Enjoy the hunt.

      Frank Plichta

      “Searching the world for PLICHTAs”

      Any Plichta from any place at any time in history.

      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 22, 2016

        CK,

                       I stand corrected, “…the nation's busiest immigrant inspection station for over sixty years from 1892 until 1954.”