Re: Mitrisin Surname

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Dale Karaff" <dkaraff@i...> wrote:
      > Dear Debbie,
      > I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.

      > My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin (majtryszyn),
      > Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
      > middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
      > name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father, a
      > Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
      > the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a
      son,
      > George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855). They
      > had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named Anna.

      > They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
      > grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
      > Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
      > Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
      > Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave
      in
      > Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not
      had
      > any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know
      how
      > they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
      > If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and
      marriage
      > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
      > Banske area.
      > I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
      > have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
      > Sisak's.
      > I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
      > surnames.
      > Thank you
      > Dale Karaff

      Don't know your surnames.

      Vechec (Sv) Vehéc (H) is located in the Vranov nad Topl'ou area.
      You read the LDS microfilms for R.C. records (1789-1899) for
      Juskova Vol'a and Vechec ?
      Vechec has 2 churches.

      Would expect the surname was listed under the grécko-katolícka
      records.

      The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records (1831-1895) for
      C^emerné, Slovakia, formerly Csemernye, Zemplén, Hungary (also called
      Varannó-Csemernye).
      Includes Juskova Vol'a, Slovakia, formerly Juszkó-Volya, Zemplén
      Megye, Hungary; Vranov, Slovakia, formerly Varannó, Zemplén Megye,
      Hungary and Vechec, Slovakia, formerly Vehécz, Zemplén Megye, Hungary.
      Text in Hungarian, Latin and Ruthenian.
      film #
      1792039
      1792020

      http://www.gates96.com/cam/europe/Slovakia/Vechec/index.html?cam0.html

      Frank Kurcina
    • ccaswick@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 2001
        I am related to the Mitro family of Cleveland Ohio and also have
        heard of the Cleveland Hudak family.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Dale Karaff" <dkaraff@i...> wrote:
        > Dear Debbie,
        > I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in
        Banske.
        > My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin
        (majtryszyn),
        > Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
        > middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
        > name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father,
        > Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
        > the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a
        son,
        > George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855).
        They
        > had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named
        Anna.
        > They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
        > grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
        > Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
        > Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
        > Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave
        in
        > Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not
        had
        > any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know
        how
        > they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
        > If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and
        marriage
        > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
        > Banske area.
        > I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
        > have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
        > Sisak's.
        > I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
        > surnames.
        > Thank you
        > Dale Karaff
        > dkaraff@i...
        >

        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Debbie Maxwell" <debmax@o...> wrote:
        > > Hello All,
        > > This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello
        and
        > post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is
        > researching any of the same names or the same villages, please
        > contact me and we can share information.
        > >
        > > I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin,
        > Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in
        Zemplen
        > County, Slovakia.
        > >
        > > Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK
        (HUSARCIK
        > OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK
        > (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA),
        > KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO,
        > MITRISIN, CSESZLOV
        > >
        > > From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin -
        > surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames
        > Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in
        > Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and
        > Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan,
        Szlaboduch

      • ccaswick@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2001
          I am an ancestor of the Slovak Mitro family which settled in
          Cleveland, Ohio -- I have also heard of the Hudak family, also of
          Cleveland.

        • John
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2001
            At 02:59 PM 7/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
            > > Banske area.

            There are two Mitris^in listed for Banske:

            Dušan Mitrišin
            110, Banské
            057/4490171

            Ján Mitrišin
            292, Banské
            057/4490608

            John
          • boblorna1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
              Hi,

              I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the surname,
              (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and RANCUK.
              I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from the Lomza
              area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching STRAUSS, RYBKA,
              and BAST.

              Lorna Fromknecht

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
                Lorna,

                I have two friends, surnames RUNC'AK (roon-chak) and RUSIC' (roo-sich)
                from the my ancestral Villages of Nova Sedlica (Ujsek) and Zboj
                (Harczos) in extreme northeast Slovakia. These villages are on the
                Poland-Ukraine borders. Remarkably, they are seeking their families in
                America. We are having a heck of a time finding them in the States -
                the name appears to have been altered dramtically. It is easier to find
                someone in Slovakia than in America! RUNCAK initially immigrated to
                Scranton/Dunmore 1904-06 and stayed with my relatives.

                Does any of this sound familiar? What years did your immigrants arrive?
                To where? Have you searched www.ellisisland.org for them?

                Bill Tarkulich

                I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the
                surname,
                (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and
                RANCUK. I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from
                the Lomza
                area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching
                STRAUSS, RYBKA,
                and BAST.

                Lorna Fromknecht

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to