New member- Patricia Varga

  • Patricia Varga
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2013
      Hello everyone- I am excited to be a new member of this group!  I am relatively new to serious genealogy research, but pleasantly surprised to find so many great online resources, including this group.  My surname is Varga, and I am searching for that side of my family right now.

      I recently discovered that my great grandparents were from Tussa (Tusa?) Hungary.  Some of their children are listed as being from Tusa, others from Tusice, and still another from Parchovany Village in the Kosice region.  Can anyone help me to understand how these towns are related or point me in the direction of a good resource on village names?

      Thank you.
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2013
        >>> I recently discovered that my great grandparents were from Tussa (Tusa?) Hungary.  Some of their children are listed as being from Tusa, others from Tusice, and still another from Parchovany Village in the Kosice region.  <<<

        Tusice is southeast of Parchovany. Varga is a common name in Parchovany and Tusice. Use the Cisarik web site to get your bearings.
        http://www.cisarik.com/0_Tusice_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html

        What RELIGION were the Varga family? Parchovany church records are RC while Tusice are Reform. Both sets of church records are online.

        Due to cataloguing errors, the 1869 Hungarian Census is currently only available on film for these villages in Zemplen Megye = county.
      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013
          Hi Patricia,
          One of my grandmothers was a Varga.  Regarding Tussa/Tusa and Parchovany, these two villages in present day Slovakia are pretty close.  To see a current map you can use Google Maps and ask for directions between the two villages.  For a 1910 map you can go to the following: http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg .  From what I read online Tussa was the old name for the village that is now called Tusice.  At one time it was in Hungary, then the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and now Slovakia.

          The Greek Catholic Church records for Tussa are in the village church records in Techna.  Techna may have had a previous name but may be called Dvorianky, Slovakia today.  All this changing of names is fairly common from what I understand.

          The last name of Varga is pretty common but who knows, we may be cousins.

          Best of luck on your search,
          Nick

          Hello everyone- I am excited to be a new member of this group!  I am relatively new to serious genealogy research, but pleasantly surprised to find so many great online resources, including this group.  My surname is Varga, and I am searching for that side of my family right now.

          I recently discovered that my great grandparents were from Tussa (Tusa?) Hungary.  Some of their children are listed as being from Tusa, others from Tusice, and still another from Parchovany Village in the Kosice region.  Can anyone help me to understand how these towns are related or point me in the direction of a good resource on village names?

          Thank you.
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2013
            Patricia,
            There is a town near Parchovany [Pahrr-khoh-vahnee] named
            Tusicka Nova Ves [Tuh-sheets-kah Noh-vah Vehs] The Hungarian name was Tussaujifalu [Tuh-shahuhee-fahluh]

            https://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&q=rudabanya+hungary&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x473f76a67d95b613:0x90b5f586b672935a,Rudab%C3%A1nya,+Hungary&gl=us&ei=dnU8Up2SOLLJ4AOqhYGoDw&ved=0CJgBELYD

            Vilo

            Hello everyone- I am excited to be a new member of this group!  I am relatively new to serious genealogy research, but pleasantly surprised to find so many great online resources, including this group.  My surname is Varga, and I am searching for that side of my family right now.

            I recently discovered that my great grandparents were from Tussa (Tusa?) Hungary.  Some of their children are listed as being from Tusa, others from Tusice, and still another from Parchovany Village in the Kosice region.  Can anyone help me to understand how these towns are related or point me in the direction of a good resource on village names?

            Thank you.

          • glucotch
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2013

              Dear Patricia

              My grandmother was Mary Vargo. It may be one of those spelling things.  Not sure if this has a connection or not? She was Slovak and settled in Montana.