The Zipser area

  • kate_inthedesert
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
      Hi there!  I'm new here, and trying to learn by reading previous messages and files.

      What I have yet to discover:  what is the group rule (if there is one) for dealing with villagers who are totally -- or even just primarilly -- enthnically German?

      I've recently discovered ancestors who came from the town known today as Spišská Belá, Kežmarok, Slovak Republic.  While they are not primarily Czech or Slovak (or some of them, judging by name, only in part), I'm dealing with the same sort of intricacies of deciphering church records, understanding the Kingdom of Hungary as it was in the 19th century, etc.

      I've looked, but so far have yet to find, any genealogy group which deals specifically with the history and genealogy of ethnic Germans who lived in what is current-day Slovak Republic.  What I've learned so far includes the fact that my family members resided in Kežmarok for multiple centuries.  Would that bring them within the purview of the forum?  If you know of a more appropriate place (group) to work on these particular ancestors, I'd love to know about it.

      In any event, I hope to be active here, as I have other thoroughly Slovak lines which I've just begun to seriously pursue as well.

      Kate
    • lovadina_karen
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
        Hi and welcome to the group. I know of a group called KarpatenAncestors or something to that effect. I think the group is for ethnic Germans who lived in the Capathian Mountains in what is today Slovakia. Regardless if I've got that right or not, I think it's a good place to start with your quest.
        Karen
      • John Yowpa III
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
          welcome!
          It is my understanding that it was very common for well-educated Germans to move to Slovakia employed in positions requiring higher learning. There was also motivation initially for German to be the primary language in Austria-Hungary later as well. There are also pockets of German settlement in Slovakia who I would assume encompassed all backgrounds and employment. An interesting map that gives broad ethnic distribution is on wikipedia. It illustrates this well, although I am unsure of the accuracy.

          Slovakia has been an area ruled by many different nations during its history with influences from all over Europe and Asia over the last 1000 and even just 300 years. Germany and Austria-Hungary had a strong influence even when not ruling the area.

          On a personal level, my fifth great grandmother was a Froelich (various spellings). I am taking a break from research this summer but it appears she moved to nearby Stara Lobovna or Plavnica prior to living in the village of my ancestors. Her surname is a well-known and common German surname (means cheerful).  I am very curious about what brought her to the region she settled in.
          Hope this helps :)

          --
          John Yowpa III, MD
        • Dr. JQ
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
            The Spis area had/s a very high concentration of Germans who were invited to settle there.  They are Slovak now and I don't know of any group that concentrates on Slovaks of German background.

            So ask all the questions you want.

            Dr. "Q"

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
              Dear Kate:

              I have ancestors from the KEZMAROK area, in particular, my great, great, great grandmother CATHERINA KREDATUS was from the village of MALY SLAVKOV (KIS SZALOK in Hungarian) which is the village immediately northwest of KESMAROK.  My great, great, great grandparents, JOANNES HRONEC and CATHERINA KREDATUS lived in STARY SMOKOVEC (ALT SCHECKS in German) which is part of the parish of MLYNICA (MUEHLENBACH in German), and there is a KLEIN family which is connected with my HRONEC clan there.

              Thomas Reimer has a Carpathian German website, and he may be able to direct you to further resources.

              Below are the list of names in my direct lineage, though there are other number of other names to which I am related along collateral lines.   I am curious as to which surnames you are searching for.  Please feel free to write me directly at David1Law@... (the "1" is a "one").

              Best regards,

              David

              Researching the village of ROZNAVA in GEMER County // the villages of DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, MALY SLAVKOV, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA, MLYNICA, RICHNAVA, SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL, KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant spellings thereof. Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL, GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

              In a message dated 9/16/2013 3:32:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kate.in.the.desert.88@... writes:

[...]

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
                Zipser migration info:

                http://www.feefhs.org/links/Slovakia/dg-gps.html

                Vilo

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 16, 2013
                  Hi Kate,

                  I'll be happy to help. Besides my Carpathian German website, we also have a discussion group on yahoo specific to Carpathian Germans, Karpatenancestors. My Zipser ancestors from my grandfather's side are from Eisdorf and Zipser Bela. There are entirely Carpathian German, at least as long church records go. However, on my grandmother's side, mainly from Pressburg and Modern, but also some surrounding villages, they're mixed (German/Slovak/some Magyar and some French Huguenots as well). You can contact me directly, too.

                  We have our annual Carpathian German meeting on October 12 in Connecticut. I will miss it for this time (I'm in Germany visiting my parents) but you'll meet many other Americans with Carpathian German ancestry.

                  Thomas Reimer

                • kate_inthedesert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 17, 2013
                    Hello again, all!  I'm happy to know that all my ancestors from current-day Slovakia can be discussed here, and also that there are more specialized resources I can take advantage of.

                    Karen, thanks for the welcome and the tip on the Karpaten group.

                    Vilo, that's an excellent, informative article, thanks!

                    Dr. "Q", thank you for making me feel comfortable, as a newbie, in asking questions here.

                    David, thank you for your contact and other info.  I'd like to think our ancestors attended "multi-village" events in the
                    Kežmarok area and enjoyed some friendly chit-chat.

                    John Yowpa, thanks for the very interesting and useful map.  It must be great to have ancestors known for cheerfulness.  And learning about the tough life of most villagers in the region makes that even more impressive!

                    Thomas Reimer, herzlichen Dank fürs Willkommen!  I wish I could be in Connecticut in October.  What could be a better combo than genealogy and colorful deciduous trees in autumn?  Sadly, I can't.  I'll be stuck in the southwest (home to palm, cactus, and coniferous).  Are there regional Carpathian activiities, like maybe in Arizona?

                    I hope I responded to everyone.  Thanks again!

                    Kate

                    ---- david1law@... wrote:
> [...]
                    > Czech or Slovak (or some of them, judging by name, only in part), I'm dealing
                    > with the same sort of intricacies of deciphering church records,
                    > understanding the Kingdom of Hungary as it was in the 19th century, etc.
                    >
                    > I've looked, but so far have yet to find, any genealogy group which deals
                    > specifically with the history and genealogy of ethnic Germans who lived in
                    > what is current-day Slovak Republic. What I've learned so far includes the
                    > fact that my family members resided in Kežmarok for multiple centuries.
                    > Would that bring them within the purview of the forum? If you know of a
                    > more appropriate place (group) to work on these particular ancestors, I'd love
                    > to know about it.
                    >
                    > In any event, I hope to be active here, as I have other thoroughly Slovak
                    > lines which I've just begun to seriously pursue as well.

                  • Catherine Rowland
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 17, 2013
                      I just came across this Hungarian site  about Lutherans in Locse in the Szips region that might be of interest. Try pasting the URL into google chrome for automatic translation.

                    • kate_inthedesert
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 18, 2013
                        Thank you, Catherine!

                        That looks like it must have been a very interesting conference -- I'll examine it more closely.  Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

                        Kate

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 19, 2013

                            Hi Kate,

                            Actually I thought the more useful part of this website was the tombstone and graveyard information. Someone has recorded all the names in each sector of the graveyard. Look for the words Sirok, sirketek in the left-hand side bar. Then click on the sewctor number to open the list of names.

                            The Regiszter link in the sidebar  (just above) takes you to what I think is a link to names found in the Locse parish registers.

                            Catherine

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013

                              keka3 au,

                              I saw that you replied to me.  I can read the subject line on the main list of messages.  It begins, "Hi Kate, Actually I thought the more useful part of..."  When I click on the message, the message area is blank. (!)

                              I figure that either I'm doing something very wrong, or Neo has ambushed me.  Can anyone tell me what's going on?  Blessings on thee, in advance for any help.

                              I worry folks think they're being ignored, when I just can't read what they wrote!  (It happened elsewhere, too, I think.)

                              Kate

                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 23, 2013
                                Happy to help.

                                Dr. "Q"

                                ---- david1law@... wrote:
> [...]
                                > Czech or Slovak (or some of them, judging by name, only in part), I'm dealing
                                > with the same sort of intricacies of deciphering church records,
                                > understanding the Kingdom of Hungary as it was in the 19th century, etc.
                                >
                                > I've looked, but so far have yet to find, any genealogy group which deals
                                > specifically with the history and genealogy of ethnic Germans who lived in
                                > what is current-day Slovak Republic. What I've learned so far includes the
                                > fact that my family members resided in Kežmarok for multiple centuries.
                                > Would that bring them within the purview of the forum? If you know of a
                                > more appropriate place (group) to work on these particular ancestors, I'd love
                                > to know about it.
                                >
                                > In any event, I hope to be active here, as I have other thoroughly Slovak
                                > lines which I've just begun to seriously pursue as well.

                              • Dr. JQ
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 24, 2013

                                  Dear All,

                                  You all have experienced the new Yahoo "updates" and "improvements" to your e-mail.  These same "improvements" have been applied to Yahoo Groups.  We (the moderators) are as frustrated  with the new "features, functions, options, preferences, etc." Yahoo has given us.  I have yet to figure out how to approve a message Yahoo has flagged as "SPAM"; right now there is a completely acceptable message in the "SPAM" folder that I want to approve but I don't how to do it with the new "interface".

                                  Please be patient with us.

                                  Thank you.

                                  Dr."Q"
                                  moderator
                                • Jody Gonda
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 24, 2013
                                    Click the button that says, 'Not Spam' at the top.  This moves the note to your inbox and then you should be able to approve it.

                                    Jody
                                    Old genealogists never die, they just lose their census!

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 24, 2013
                                      Surprisingly - there is not a "Not Spam" tab when viewing the "Spam" folder contents in the "manager" options, the only thing I can find is a "Delete Spam" option!

                                      So please wait while we figure it out.

                                      Dr. "Q"

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 24, 2013
                                        Can you move it to the inbox?