[S-R] Re: Can I confirm Slovak migration to Lesser Poland

  • John
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2013
      >>> there is much data missing from the online version.  Examples were Houses of the Church/Rectory, #6, #10, and numerous second pages and other Houses.  This was for Film # 2151177 for Felso Laps, Nepszamlalas, Szepes Hungary. <<<

      Though I can't compare the film and digital version of the SAME information, houses 6 and 10 have been digitized, albeit a little strangely.

      Your comments on the film version shall prevail.
    • elevans1
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013

        It seemed to me that for "my" Slovak village, the ONLINE 1869 Census had only the Jewish families, all other families from the microfilm were not online.  I think someone at Jewishgen or someplace may have transcribed or collected those records only, and made them available online?  This has been a while, could be I'm thinking of Ancestry.com's records, and not familysearch.org?  Anyway, my point is, yes, it's possible that the online version is missing items that are on the microfilms.

        ?  EE

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <slovak-roots@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I reviewed the online version of the 1869 Slovak? Census shortly after viewing the 1869 Hungarian Census film from the LDS, there is much data missing from the online version.  Examples were Houses of the Church/Rectory, #6, #10, and numerous second pages and other Houses.  This was for Film # 2151177 for Felso Laps, Nepszamlalas, Szepes Hungary.

        As for the RC records, I guess I will have to wait until the Polish Church allows additional microfilming.

      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
          >>> for "my" Slovak village, the ONLINE 1869 Census had only the Jewish families, all other families from the microfilm were not online. <<<

          Pls name the village and county.
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
            >>> It seemed to me that for "my" Slovak village, the ONLINE 1869 Census had only the Jewish families, all other families from the microfilm were not online. <<<

            If your village is Vilag/Vilagy, Zemplen Megye. LDS has NOT posted the digitized 1869 Hungarian Census for any of Zemplen Megye online due to an error of some kind. I remind them quarterly. Still no fix.

            All the villages shown under Zemplen Megye belong elsewhere.
          • amiak27
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013

               Wyzne Lapse, Galicia,Austria   Lapsze Wyzne,

              Felso Laps, Szepes, Hungary  Vysne Lapse, Slovakia

              You leave me confused on your location, as I am a historian and not a genealogist and not looking at LDS lists. You refer to Wyzne Lapse, Galicia,Austria   and Felso Laps, Szepes, Hungary.  Just across the border to the NW from Spisska Stara Ves there are two villages in Poland, Lapsze Nizne and Lapsze Wyzne.

              As far as Slovak minorities along the Polish border, I just ran across this one reference that may carry background information for you. I just read the 9 pages and will pass them on without comment; the history and passions on ethnicity and borders is too deep to address in a few words.
              http://geopol.geo.uni.lodz.pl/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/slovak_minority.pdf

              Is this your place?
              http://www.en.gory-latem.pl/gminy,id,13.html

              It is in a corner of the Spis that was taken by Poland in the 20th century, and with border disputes I will leave puzzling out ownership of the area to you. One history states the transfer was peaceful and 500 years ago, another says it was violent and less than 100 years go.