1869 Census--birth place names

  • Nancy Gibbs
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
      I have several questions concerning the census image found in Saros county, Bodanlaka (Bodovce), page 61.  Family at bottom of page:  SZTRAKA, Janos.

      Question 1 - Birth places of everybody except Gabor.

      Question 2 - translation of words in columns 8 (occupation) & 9 (profession) for SZTRAKA, Janos.

      Question 3 - translation of notes in column 15 and if that pertains to my family or the whole page.

      Thanks for all the help I receive from this site.  This is a great group.

      Nancy

    • Nancy Gibbs
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
        Should have mentioned that it is the 1869 Slovakia census.

        >________________________________

      • John
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
          >>> I have several questions concerning the census image found in Saros county, Bodanlaka (Bodovce), page 61.  Family at bottom of page:  SZTRAKA, Janos.

          Question 1 - Birth places of everybody except Gabor. <<<

          Chminianska Nová Ves
          OLD NAMES of the village(town):
          1773 Szinye-Ujfalu, Neü-Dorff, Nowa Wes, 1786 Sinye-Ujfalu, Neudorf, Nowa Wes, 1808 Szinye-Újfalu, Sýňowská Nowá Wes, Swinská Nowá Wes, 1863–1913 Szinyeújfalu, 1920 Hmiňanská Nová Ves, 1927– Chminianska Nová Ves

          Hermanovce, Slovakia, formerly Hermány, Sáros, Hungary

          Jakubovany
          OLD NAMES of the village(town):
          1773 Jakabfalva, Jacabs-Dorff, Uherske Jakubowecz [!], 1786 Jakabfalwa, Jakobsdorf, Uherské Jakubowce, 1808 Magyar-Jakabfalva, Jakobsdorf, Uherské Jakubowce, Uherské Jakubowany, Jakubovjany, 1863–1902 Magyarjakabfalu, 1907–1913 Magyarjakabfalva, 1920 Jakubovany, Jakuboviany, 1927–1948 Jakuboviany, 1948– Jakubovany

          Radačov, Slovakia later part of the city of Radatice; formerly Radács, Sáros, Hungary
        • hwedhlor
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
            Nacy,

            It seems to me that was the 1869 Hungarian census, as
            Slovakia didn't exist as a country until 1993. I'm not
            pro-Hungary or anti-Slovak, just think it's ridiculous not
            to call the records, and place-names, what they were.
            Otherwise it can be very confusing for new researchers.

            John Zimmerman
            Mesa, AZ

            On 30-Aug-13 4:12 PM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

            > Should have mentioned that it is the 1869 Slovakia census.
            >
            > >________________________________
            > > From: Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...

          • Frank R Plichta
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
              John,

              I agree with you 100%.

              At the time in history that a certain event happened, the place where it
              happened, should be recorded in modern records using the place names that
              were in use at that time. I follow this practice in my genealogy records.

              I also record individual's names with the name that is written in the
              historical records. If someone were to do similar research, I want them to
              find what I found. I want our research to agree. That way, my research is
              authenticated as being correct.

              Frank
              "Searching the world for PLICHTAs"

              It seems to me that was the 1869 Hungarian census, as
              Slovakia didn't exist as a country until 1993. I'm not
              pro-Hungary or anti-Slovak, just think it's ridiculous not
              to call the records, and place-names, what they were.
              Otherwise it can be very confusing for new researchers
              John Zimmerman
              Mesa, AZ

              On 30-Aug-13 4:12 PM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

              > Should have mentioned that it is the 1869 Slovakia census.
              >
              > >________________________________
              > > From: Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
                Frank,
                Why not record both place Names or even family person as Isvan Szoposi/Stefan Soposi from Posonyi/Bratislava. this way the connection to the immigrant in the USA can be understood
                Vilo

                ________________________________

                It seems to me that was the 1869 Hungarian census, as
                Slovakia didn't exist as a country until 1993. I'm not
                pro-Hungary or anti-Slovak, just think it's ridiculous not
                to call the records, and place-names, what they were.
                Otherwise it can be very confusing for new researchers
                John Zimmerman
                Mesa, AZ

                On 30-Aug-13 4:12 PM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

                > Should have mentioned that it is the 1869 Slovakia census.
                >
                > >________________________________
                > > From: Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...

              • Nancy Gibbs
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
                  I think the people who responded to my query have gotten off the subject.  Yes, I do record my information as to the name of the place at the time of the event--not what it is now.  BUT the records to look at on Family Search are identified as Slovakia---that is why I said 1869 Slovakia census.

                • Frank R Plichta
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
                    Vilo,

                    I don't mind including modern names in footnotes with an explanation as to
                    when or how the change came about. After all, genealogy is the study of
                    history. Folks need to learn that changes happen both in place names under
                    different ruling powers as well as names in other languages. But the
                    original must be preserved otherwise the historical significance is lost.

                    We can footnote history but we should not change history. Tell it the way
                    that it was when it happened.

                    _____

                    It seems to me that was the 1869 Hungarian census, as
                    Slovakia didn't exist as a country until 1993. I'm not
                    pro-Hungary or anti-Slovak, just think it's ridiculous not
                    to call the records, and place-names, what they were.
                    Otherwise it can be very confusing for new researchers
                    John Zimmerman
                    Mesa, AZ

                    On 30-Aug-13 4:12 PM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

                    > Should have mentioned that it is the 1869 Slovakia census.
                    >
                    > >________________________________
                    > > From: Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...
                    <mailto:bohnenstiehl1952%40yahoo.com>

                    <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                  • Jan Ammann
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 31, 2013
                      I absolutely agree with Frank. Everyone needs to follow the way he so aptly described the process.

                      Showing the changes in footnotes is an excellent way to do that but each person can devise a similar method. We all need to remember we are the caretakers of our family history. And it is an honorable profession.

                      Jan

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2013
                        Nancy,

                        That makes sense, and you're right, the records are
                        identified in FamilySearch as from Slovakia. The Slovak
                        government forbids FamilySearch to display any records over
                        which that government has control unless they are titled
                        "Slovak" records. No matter when they were created, or by
                        whom. That complicates research considerably.

                        For example the hand-written entries in Roman Catholic
                        church records from 1827 for the town Also-Kortvelyes,
                        Zemplin County, Hungary, are stored under "Slovakia, Church
                        and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910" which have not been
                        digitized yet. The searcher is given the opportunity to
                        "Browse through 2,224 images" and after selecting "Roman
                        Catholic (Rimsko-katolicka cirkev)" is asked to select a
                        County. Unfortunately Slovakia does not have counties, but
                        has chosen to name the next-higher political division up
                        from towns and cities as "Districts." The next higher
                        political division after Districts in Slovakia is "Regions."

                        The town's current name is Nizny Hrusov, and it is
                        physically in the Vranov nad Topl'ou District, and the
                        Presov Region. However FamilySearch has the town stored
                        under the Michalovce "county" which of course is actually a
                        district in the Kosice Region, both of which are wrong! I
                        have asked FamilySearch to move Nizny Hrusov to the Vranov
                        nad Topl'ou District and to redesign the selection
                        categories for Slovakia to give the searcher a choice of
                        Regions, and then Districts.

                        Further confusing the searcher is the fact that all of the
                        hand-written entries on these records refer to the town as
                        "Also-Kortvelyes," which of course was the name of the town
                        for a few hundred years. There are "cover" sheets in the
                        digitized records indicating that the viewer is seeing the
                        records of Nizny Hrusov in Slovakia, but unless the viewer
                        knows that the town's name and country has changed they
                        might well get the impression they were viewing the wrong
                        records.

                        Add to that the sometimes illegible scrawling hand writing,
                        sometimes poor quality images, and of course the quaint
                        Slovak tradition of using alias surnames for a variety of
                        undefined reasons, and the challenge of finding a particular
                        record can be extremely challenging.

                        All the best,

                        John Zimmerman
                        Mesa, AZ

                        On 31-Aug-13 2:59 PM, Nancy Gibbs wrote:

                        > I think the people who responded to my query have gotten
                        > off the subject. Yes, I do record my information as to the
                        > name of the place at the time of the event--not what it is
                        > now. BUT the records to look at on Family Search are
                        > identified as Slovakia---that is why I said 1869 Slovakia
                        > census.
                        >
                        > >________________________________
                        > > From: William C. Wormuth <senzus@...
                        > <mailto:senzus%40ymail.com>>
                        > >To: "SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                      • htcstech
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1, 2013
                          Nancy wrote: "I think the people who responded to my query have gotten off
                          the subject. Yes, I do record my information as to the name of the place
                          at the time of the event--not what it is now. BUT the records to look at
                          on Family Search are identified as Slovakia---that is why I said 1869
                          Slovakia census."
                          We have to be careful about this. As familysearch catalogs this census
                          under 'Slovakia', the assumption is that the LDS (familysearch) is correct.
                          The reality though is that the '1869 Hungarian census' (not
                          Austro-Hungarian), by the Hungarian government at the time is a Hungarian
                          census. Just because the Slovak Republic sets rules of access, changes
                          districts/counties/regions, town names AND that the LDS have to comply with
                          these rules, doesn't make into the Slovakian census of 1869. In fact the
                          same census is also cataloged as 'Hungary - Census -
                          1869<https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results#count=20&query=%2Bsubject_id%3A836327>'
                          and 'Czechoslovakia, Slovensko - Census - 1869'
                          <https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results#count=20&query=%2Bsubject_id%3A836329>
                          Now, the default access to these records on-line are through the LDS and
                          consequently some may refer to this as the 'Slovakian census' because we
                          search the census through the Slovak portal but the data can also be
                          reached through the Hungarian portal.
                          You can also access these records other than the LDS site - even outside
                          the jurisdiction of the Slovak government.

                          Peter M.

                        • Nancy Gibbs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
                            I received an answer to Question 1 but unfortunately I deleted it.  But I did print it out.  I would like to know if the birth records are on line for:

                            1.  Chminianska Nova Ves  OLD NAMES  1773 Szinye-Ujfalu, Neu-Dorff, Nowa Wes, 1786 Sinye-Ujfalu, Neudorf,
                            Nowa Wes, 1808 Szinye-Ujfalu  Synowska Nowa Wes, Swinska Nowa Wes, 1863-1913 Szinyeujfalu, 1920 Hminanska Nova Ves, 1927 Chminianska Nova Ves.    AND/OR

                            2.  Jakubovany  OLD NAMES 1773 Jakabfalva, Jacabs-Dorff, Uherske Jakuboweca{!}, 1786 Jakabfalwa, Jakobsdord, Uherske Jakubowce, 1808 Magyar-Jakabfalva, Jakobsdorf, Uherske Jakubowce, Uherske Jakubowany, Jakubovjany, 1863-1902 Magyarjakabfalu, 1907-1913 Magyarjakabfalva, 1920 Jakubovany, Jakuboviany, 1927-1948 Jakuboviany, 1948 Jakubovany

                            This information was sent to me from John.   Thank you.

                            >________________________________

                          • patskanovo
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
                              Lets not forget also that some village records (Zemplin) still remain in the possession of the Archives in  Satoraljaujhely and are not available....   Dennis

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
                                Here is how you find the church records.

                                1) Check the old LDS site at
                                https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                                2) If you strike out there, take another path and check the 1877 Hungarian Dvorzsak Gazeteer site at:
                                http://www.radixhub.com/radixhub/gazetteers/1877/

                                For part (2), you need to know the Hungarian county = megye name and also the religion and the Hungarian village name.

                                Your villages were in Saros/Saris Megye. You have their Hungarian names. You didn't tell us the relevant religion.

                                For Szinye-Ujfalu, there are both RC and GC records filed under Szinye and Klemberk respectively.

                                For Magyar-Jakabfalva, they are filed under Kis-Seben and Som.

                                Use the URL in Part (1) to see more info on the church records.

                                Good luck.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

                                > I received an answer to Question 1 but unfortunately I deleted it.  But I did print it out.  I would like to know if the birth records are on line for:
                                >
                                > 1.  Chminianska Nova Ves  OLD NAMES  1773 Szinye-Ujfalu, Neu-Dorff, Nowa Wes, 1786 Sinye-Ujfalu, Neudorf,
                                > Nowa Wes, 1808 Szinye-Ujfalu  Synowska Nowa Wes, Swinska Nowa Wes, 1863-1913 Szinyeujfalu, 1920 Hminanska Nova Ves, 1927 Chminianska Nova Ves.    AND/OR
                                >
                                > 2.  Jakubovany  OLD NAMES 1773 Jakabfalva, Jacabs-Dorff, Uherske Jakuboweca{!}, 1786 Jakabfalwa, Jakobsdord, Uherske Jakubowce, 1808 Magyar-Jakabfalva, Jakobsdorf, Uherske Jakubowce, Uherske Jakubowany, Jakubovjany, 1863-1902 Magyarjakabfalu, 1907-1913 Magyarjakabfalva, 1920 Jakubovany, Jakuboviany, 1927-1948 Jakuboviany, 1948 Jakubovany
                                >
                                > This information was sent to me from John.   Thank you.

                              • Nancy Gibbs
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 4, 2013
                                  Sorry, John.  The relevant religion for my relatives is ROMAN CATHOLIC.