Re: Missing place names in Vranov nad Topl'ou at FamilySearch

  • Michele Horaney
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
      I've come across the same "mis-classification" issue when looking at those
      "image only" records that are available to "browse" through Family Search.
      For now, I have put it all aside and pretty much given up, as figuring out
      the correct counties/provinces is daunting to begin with,
      and I don't have enough hours left in my life (and I'm not old) to go
      through the thousands
      of photo images trying to read curlicue handwriting in order to try
      and find a real needle in a haystack. I'll have to wait for the
      transcription version someday.

      But you are right about asking for clarification. It would be a help to
      everyone, both
      here and there.

      --
      *
      MICHELE M. HORANEY APR

      THOUGHT LEADER PUBLIC RELATIONS
      Dedicated to Issues, Ideas and Authors,
      and the principles of B Corporations
      34 Oak Park Drive Alameda, CA 94502
      Primary Phone: 510.864.4120 [Mobile: 650.787.7441]
      Michele.Horaney@...
      www.thoughtleaderpr.com
      *
      *

      www.linkedin.com/in/michelehoraney<http://www.linkedin.com/in/michelehoraney18>
      *
      *
      *

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
        John,
        Nizny Hrusov is just a few miles from the city of Michalovce, so its records are listed in the Michalovce district. They are right there online.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, hwedhlor <Hwedhlor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > to constraints placed on them by the record owners, the
        > Slovak government, who insisted (understandably) that they
        > be listed under Slovakia. Apparently the Slovak government
        > also insisted that they _not_ be cross-listed under Hungary,
        > notwithstanding that they were created during the several
        > centuries during which the Slovak people were ruled by Hungary.
        >
        > Okay, that's also understandable, and FamilySearch
        > accommodated that requirement by offering researchers who
        > only knew their ancestors came from Also-Kortvelyes, Zemplin
        > County, Hungary (and other similar old place-names) a
        > conversion table of Hungarian place-names with their
        > present-day Slovak place-names listed opposite the Hungarian
        > place-names. That worked for a couple of years and I was
        > able to access the records online by looking for Nizny
        > Hrusov, Presov, Slovakia.
        >
        > Then all of a sudden someone realized that Nizny Hrusov was
        > actually in the Vranov nad Topl'ou district of the Presov
        > region. FamilySearch attempted to accommodate that
        > political/geographic distinction, but they did so by trying
        > to fit the location of Nizny Hrusov into the city and county
        > framework, which was inappropriate. So now when anyone goes
        > looking for Roman Catholic records in Nizny Hrusov they are
        > faced with the following sequence of choices.
        >
        > 1. *Continental Europe*
        > 2, *Slovakia*
        > 3. *Slovakia, Church**and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910*
        > 4. *Browse through 2,224**,780 images*
        > 5. *Religion* - Roman Catholic (Rimsko-katolicka cirkev)
        >
        > So far, so good, but the next choice is *County* which is
        > not correct, and once they are looking at the list of
        > "counties" they are given only two apparently possible
        > choices, *Presov* or *Vranov nad Topl'ou*. If they choose
        > *Presov* they will find there is no listing for Nizny
        > Hrusov. If they choose *Vranov nad Topl'ou* they will also
        > find Nizny Hrusov is missing.
        >
        > I have written to FamilySearch explaining the issue in
        > detail and they are in agreement that some adjustment is
        > required to make records from Nizny Hrusov available once
        > again. I have suggested that the choices offered after
        > *Religion* be as follows.
        >
        > 6. *Region* - Presov
        > 6. *District* - Vranov nad Topl'ou
        > 7. *Place* - Nizny Hrusov
        > 8. *Event, Volume, Year range* - and choose the appropriate
        > file to view
        >
        > I do not know if there are other Slovak records that have
        > disappeared from FamilySearch for similar reasons, but it
        > would seem likely. So if you are looking for a town that
        > does not appear to be listed in FamilySearch (particularly
        > if it was there at one time) it may be due to a similar
        > mixup. Although I am confident that FamilySearch will
        > restore the missing records for Nizny Hrusov, I do not know
        > how soon any such restoration might be accomplished, nor
        > whether other towns that are missing will be restored in

      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
          I thought that I was the only one who had problems finding films online. Here's the technique that usually works for me -- after a couple of years of wasted effort.

          1) Go to the OLD LDS web site and locate the film.
          2) In the header row of the description, they have a city/town in brackets. In this case, Michalovce.
          Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Nižný Hrušov (Michalovce) (Main Author)
          3) Go to the NEW web site, click on RC and then Michalovce. Nizny Hrusov pops up on the list.

          It's not elegant but it seems to work most of the time.

        • hwedhlor
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
            Curt,

            Thanks for letting me know where FamilySearch had hidden
            Nizny Hrusov! They have Nizny Hrusov mis-filed as it is not
            in Michalovce district. It is in Vranov nad Topl'ou
            district, and is closer to Vranov nad Topl'ou than to
            Michalovce. Michalovce is in the Kosice Region and Vranov
            nad Topl'ou is in the Presov Region. The boundary runs north
            to south just east of Nizny Hrusov then just to the
            northwest of Lesne it turns southwest, running northeast to
            southwest a couple of miles south of Nizny Hrusov, crossing
            the 554 highway and eventually the Ondava River. Hopefully
            they'll get it right soon. :-)

            John Zimmerman
            Mesa, AZ

            On 29-Aug-13 5:58 PM, CurtB wrote:

> [...]
            > > required to make records from Nizny Hrusov available once
            > > again. I have suggested that the choices offered after
            > > *Religion* be as follows.
            > >
            > > 6. *Region* - Presov
            > > 6. *District* - Vranov nad Topl'ou
            > > 7. *Place* - Nizny Hrusov
            > > 8. *Event, Volume, Year range* - and choose the appropriate
            > > file to view
            > >
            > > I do not know if there are other Slovak records that have
            > > disappeared from FamilySearch for similar reasons, but it
            > > would seem likely. So if you are looking for a town that
            > > does not appear to be listed in FamilySearch (particularly
            > > if it was there at one time) it may be due to a similar
            > > mixup. Although I am confident that FamilySearch will
            > > restore the missing records for Nizny Hrusov, I do not know
            > > how soon any such restoration might be accomplished, nor
            > > whether other towns that are missing will be restored in

          • hwedhlor
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
              John,

              Thank you. That's an excellent tip. As I told CurtB,
              FamilySearch has mis-filed Nizny Hrusov in the Kosice Region
              when it is actually in Presov Region.

              After searching for my birth father for over 40 years I
              figured a few days cranking a microfilm reader were worth it
              to find the town where my Grandfather was born, and I did!
              The writing is difficult to read sometimes, but I'll keep
              looking. In the meantime I'm helping index the records so
              those who come after us will be able to find them without
              such a strain.

              John Zimmerman
              Mesa, AZ